Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: more snow ahead?school closed? let parents know, sooner, not later.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
It's sunny now.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 19:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Its snowing now

Posted on: 2011/1/25 15:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/27 23:58
Group:
Registered Users
wow.

snowflake. yes, your tone does border on belligerence. I don't know you, and you're probably a perfectly nice person in real life, but from this and some past posts, if you were a cartoon character, Lucy in Schulz's Peanuts would spring to mind.

jcboe has never, as far as I know, had a delayed opening in the past decade my kids have been in school, even on days where there are more 3-4 inches or as, in last fridays case, the roads were extremely slick.

moreover, while the board did call the night before the last snow day, it has been in the last several years, the exceptions, rather than the norm, for JC to inform the night before even though other districts seemed to.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
snowflake20 wrote: i'm just tired of people complaining on here for complaining's sake. there is a lot of that here and it can get very frustrating. i've actually heard 3 other people complain about the JC school closures (where people complained the schools were closed, as if it's the school's fault that it snowed) and i admit i probably vented my frustration on here when i saw the OP's post.
So you were complaining for complaining's sake.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
i'm just tired of people complaining on here for complaining's sake. there is a lot of that here and it can get very frustrating.

i've actually heard 3 other people complain about the JC school closures (where people complained the schools were closed, as if it's the school's fault that it snowed) and i admit i probably vented my frustration on here when i saw the OP's post.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:

If he did not receive notice, it's because he didn't bother to look at the BOE website or turn on the news or the radio. It was well publicized. All parents are given the same tools by the school and are told to check the website for school closures.

And honestly, the OP is the one who was negative in the first place by unfairly criticizing the school's snow policy. There are things that are going to be out of your control and the sense of entitlement that the OP has about this non issue is fairly ridiculous. And again, Jersey City DID announce school closures the night before the last snow day. If he didn't figure it out himself by 1. Calling the school, 2. Checking the website, or 3. Turning on the TV, then it's his own fault. Instead of pointing the finger at himself, he comes on here to complain and moan about crap that isn't an issue in the first place.

In your first post, rather than informing the parent that there were three alternatives to finding out whether or not the schools were closed the night before, you took it upon yourself to attack his post rather than providing suggestions or solutions. You would rather antagonize than inform.

You don't understand the point I make about negativity. Yes, the OP made a negative criticism. Regardless of how you feel and what you knew about closures and what you assume all parents should know or do know about school closures, the OP did not feel well informed. Rather than just presenting some straightforward information in your first post, you chose to be belligerent and confrontational. That is the negativity I am referring to in my post. I am tired of people shedding decency and politeness in light of their newfound internet anonymity.

All I am asking of my fellow JCListers is to be considerate of other people and how you post things. After all, to borrow a phrase from you snowflake, it's not that hard.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 20:55
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Because you can't control the weather and the JC BOE actually DOES give notice the night before if it's possible. This is what happened when we had our last snow storm and school closures. I find it ridiculous to criticize the school system for something that they can't possibly predict.

So what does this poster want the BOE to do? He posted this question over the weekend for a "possible" snow storm on Tuesday. Does he want the BOE to call a snow day 3 days before it possibly happens? And if it doesn't snow, then oh well we "thought" it would snow three days before it happened so let's just call it the day and give everyone the day off?

Here is a "suggestion" and I think it's a reasonable one. If it's going to snow a few inches, plan on a delayed opening. If it's going to snow more than, say 3 or 4 inches, plan on a snow day. It's not that hard.

The OP never suggested that the BOE decide the schools to be closed 3 days ahead. Again, a person asks a question and you feel it necessary to answer belligerently. You make an assumption of when he/she would like the BOE to make a decision with no basis for you assumption. Would you be just as belligerent if the OP asked the day before, the day of, the day after a storm? When would be an opportune time to make a suggestion and/or criticism? The OP also never asks the BOE to predict the weather and is not criticizing the BOE for failure to predict the weather.

Based on the original post, I assume that the OP did not receive notice of the closure the night before.

And I welcome your rule of thumb to follow for future snow events, but why add the belligerent statement of "it's not that hard" at the end? Maybe it actually is that hard. I'm going to throw out a few considerations and am not implying any of the following about the OP. Maybe the person may be originally from an area where if there is a chance of snow, the schools announce a closure the day before. Maybe the person is originally from an area that doesn't normally receive much if any snow and schools would be closed with just a trace of snow. Or maybe it is just the opposite and the person is from an area that receives a lot of snow normally and schools don't close unless there is significant accumulation. You apparently have enough experience with the JC BOE system to come up with your rule of them. Fine, share your knowledge and be considerate of others with less experience.

As I said in a previous post to someone else , I hope you never have occasion to need the assistance of another person or have a question that seems valid to you which is greeted with the same insulting negativity and a better-than-though attitude that you exude.

If he did not receive notice, it's because he didn't bother to look at the BOE website or turn on the news or the radio. It was well publicized. All parents are given the same tools by the school and are told to check the website for school closures.

And honestly, the OP is the one who was negative in the first place by unfairly criticizing the school's snow policy. There are things that are going to be out of your control and the sense of entitlement that the OP has about this non issue is fairly ridiculous. And again, Jersey City DID announce school closures the night before the last snow day. If he didn't figure it out himself by 1. Calling the school, 2. Checking the website, or 3. Turning on the TV, then it's his own fault. Instead of pointing the finger at himself, he comes on here to complain and moan about crap that isn't an issue in the first place.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Because you can't control the weather and the JC BOE actually DOES give notice the night before if it's possible. This is what happened when we had our last snow storm and school closures. I find it ridiculous to criticize the school system for something that they can't possibly predict.

So what does this poster want the BOE to do? He posted this question over the weekend for a "possible" snow storm on Tuesday. Does he want the BOE to call a snow day 3 days before it possibly happens? And if it doesn't snow, then oh well we "thought" it would snow three days before it happened so let's just call it the day and give everyone the day off?

Here is a "suggestion" and I think it's a reasonable one. If it's going to snow a few inches, plan on a delayed opening. If it's going to snow more than, say 3 or 4 inches, plan on a snow day. It's not that hard.

The OP never suggested that the BOE decide the schools to be closed 3 days ahead. Again, a person asks a question and you feel it necessary to answer belligerently. You make an assumption of when he/she would like the BOE to make a decision with no basis for you assumption. Would you be just as belligerent if the OP asked the day before, the day of, the day after a storm? When would be an opportune time to make a suggestion and/or criticism? The OP also never asks the BOE to predict the weather and is not criticizing the BOE for failure to predict the weather.

Based on the original post, I assume that the OP did not receive notice of the closure the night before.

And I welcome your rule of thumb to follow for future snow events, but why add the belligerent statement of "it's not that hard" at the end? Maybe it actually is that hard. I'm going to throw out a few considerations and am not implying any of the following about the OP. Maybe the person may be originally from an area where if there is a chance of snow, the schools announce a closure the day before. Maybe the person is originally from an area that doesn't normally receive much if any snow and schools would be closed with just a trace of snow. Or maybe it is just the opposite and the person is from an area that receives a lot of snow normally and schools don't close unless there is significant accumulation. You apparently have enough experience with the JC BOE system to come up with your rule of them. Fine, share your knowledge and be considerate of others with less experience.

As I said in a previous post to someone else , I hope you never have occasion to need the assistance of another person or have a question that seems valid to you which is greeted with the same insulting negativity and a better-than-though attitude that you exude.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 18:08
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Although I agree it is difficult to make alternate arrangements the day off, I don't think much will change. Most districts and parochial schools in the NYC metropolitan area don't decide if schools are going to be closed until the morning in question. In NYC, the schools chancellor makes that decision between 4 and 6 A.M. I went to private school through grade school in NYC, and I only had one day off in 12 years. Interestingly, it seems this side of the river, schools are more apt to be closed.

@snowflake - You don't offer any useful advice. Your "you have kids, deal with it" statement adds nothing of relevance to the discussion. You also don't seem to realize that some employers aren't as understanding to the plight of parents and are none to happy with parents having to take time off for their children - whether it is because they are sick or because schools are closed unexpectedly.

Your final comment of "if you don't like it...homeschool your kid" isn't helpful either. The parents are working all day. Would you have them hire someone every day of the week to provide an education for their child(ren)? That sounds like a rather expensive solution, probably one that many could not afford if wanting a quality homeschool education provided by a person that has undergone quite the thorough (and expensive as well) background check.

There is no harm in someone asking a simple question of "Hey can we try to do some things differently?" even if the question is born out of personal gain.

I have said this on many of the threads of late. Why do people have to be condescending, pious, and insulting when people ask questions on JCList? Every topic seems to become a hotbed of contention loaded with insinuations, misquotes, and insults. I just ask one thing of my fellow JCListers - if you have a differing opinion or thought, can we try to do it in a civil and polite manner? There is enough negativity going around, don't add to it.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 14:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
LCCS makes it easy , all you have to do is go to their website and its right there on the front page in big red letters. They can update This information at any time. Makes the most sense to me.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 3:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Although I agree it is difficult to make alternate arrangements the day off, I don't think much will change. Most districts and parochial schools in the NYC metropolitan area don't decide if schools are going to be closed until the morning in question. In NYC, the schools chancellor makes that decision between 4 and 6 A.M. I went to private school through grade school in NYC, and I only had one day off in 12 years. Interestingly, it seems this side of the river, schools are more apt to be closed.

@snowflake - You don't offer any useful advice. Your "you have kids, deal with it" statement adds nothing of relevance to the discussion. You also don't seem to realize that some employers aren't as understanding to the plight of parents and are none to happy with parents having to take time off for their children - whether it is because they are sick or because schools are closed unexpectedly.

Your final comment of "if you don't like it...homeschool your kid" isn't helpful either. The parents are working all day. Would you have them hire someone every day of the week to provide an education for their child(ren)? That sounds like a rather expensive solution, probably one that many could not afford if wanting a quality homeschool education provided by a person that has undergone quite the thorough (and expensive as well) background check.

There is no harm in someone asking a simple question of "Hey can we try to do some things differently?" even if the question is born out of personal gain.

I have said this on many of the threads of late. Why do people have to be condescending, pious, and insulting when people ask questions on JCList? Every topic seems to become a hotbed of contention loaded with insinuations, misquotes, and insults. I just ask one thing of my fellow JCListers - if you have a differing opinion or thought, can we try to do it in a civil and polite manner? There is enough negativity going around, don't add to it.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 2:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/1/23 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Growing up we wouldn't know until the day of if school was closed. What, so you expect the JC BOE to control the weather? Guess what? You have kids, deal with it. You are going to have to take a day off when it snows, this is what happens when you become a parent. All schools, even private, will have closures which aren't announced until the morning of. If you don't like it, the only other option you have is to homeschool your kid.

Posted on: 2011/1/23 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
the last time school was closed for snow at 10pm or so they made the call... www.JCBOE.org upates if there is school closing. But I don't know when they make the call if the snow comes down in the early morning hours.

Quote:

njlist wrote:
have the predictions for 12 inch accumulations this coming week been downgraded? reports now seem to say it'll likely be rain and snow, rather than just snow.

a mix can be worse for driving, seems schools are only closed for snow accumulations. wish powers that be in jc would let parents know about school closing,when possible, the night before.

we parents need to get sitters lined up, and finding out morning of, it isn't always doable.
understand that weather predictions change, but seems jersey city officials are last to let families know, compared to other districts, or compared to the parochial schools.

what's up with that?

Posted on: 2011/1/23 22:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/2 7:31
Group:
Banned
IDK but I'm sure it has something to do with mafia/union corruption and black market organs

Posted on: 2011/1/23 22:05

more snow ahead?school closed? let parents know, sooner, not later.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/27 23:58
Group:
Registered Users
have the predictions for 12 inch accumulations this coming week been downgraded? reports now seem to say it'll likely be rain and snow, rather than just snow.

a mix can be worse for driving, seems schools are only closed for snow accumulations. wish powers that be in jc would let parents know about school closing,when possible, the night before.

we parents need to get sitters lined up, and finding out morning of, it isn't always doable.
understand that weather predictions change, but seems jersey city officials are last to let families know, compared to other districts, or compared to the parochial schools.

what's up with that?

Posted on: 2011/1/23 20:42

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017