Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Wave of gentrification that leapfrogged the Hudson has reached new heights - Jersey City Heights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Here's my opinion on the Heights. I think a large majority of the housing stock up there is just rather ugly. Vinyl or aluminum siding, stand alone houses, that just look like somebody built them without giving a rat's a** about style or architectural detail. Compare that with some of the jaw dropping brownstones of Downtown, in which attention to detail is an understatement. I think housing stock, along with lack of 24-hour transportation, is why the Heights will not gentrify. And that could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on who you are!

Disclaimer - I know there are some very pretty Victorian houses on certain blocks. But I feel that these are far and few between.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 19:50

Re: Wave of gentrification that leapfrogged the Hudson has reached new heights - Jersey City Heights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stickywicket wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Some parts of the Heights are nice. But to claim that the Heights is as convenient, transportation-wise, as living Downtown, is in most cases just incorrect.

well there is also the car factor. for a person who couldn't own a car downtown, the heights at least gives you the option. with a car, your transporation becomes quite convenient.

But to/from Manhattan? Driving into the NYC is an inconvenience, more than it is a convenience. Especially for those folks that aren't Sober Sallies.

Hell, I would totally be an advocate for putting a PATH stop in the Heights. Then you'd see some real gentrification up there.

Think about it, why should little tiny Hoboken have 2 entire PATH lines to itself? There should be a Heights PATH terminal. In fact, that makes so much sense that I can't believe it doesn't exist. Maybe there is something I'm not thinking of, that would prevent it? Has this ever been brought up?

Posted on: 2009/11/16 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
I recently looked at a home for sale on Ogden, checked the records, brought for 540K in 2006 YIPS..now for sale close to 400K. So, I figure it is worth 330 to 350K maximum, didn't like the realtor bc of the pressure he put on. But here are facts about Ogden. It is probably one of the nicer streets in the Heights. It is close to the renovated Supremo Market which I have close sources telling me it is really good now. The Lightrail is right down the hill and the buses run along Palisade Avenue all the time for commuters. If you want an apartment in the Heights, you should look for 300 to 400 square foot. Downtown JC will run ya 450 to 500, and closer to 550 to 600 for the more new towers that have been built recently. That is the market rate, don't settle for being ripped off or rushed into a decision by a realtor. Now, the Heights has a long way to go still, as most of what is west of Palisade Avenue is trash, though I enjoy a stroll down Central Avenue once in a while.

So Mr. Banker Assistant brought 140 for 600 sq feet. So he paid 233 per square feet. Very well done, but again, did it need work, what type of building condition etc....but love that he remembers what Brooklyn was like 20 years ago LOL.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
as for late night, i hear you, there's no easy door to door routine, however with the money saved living in the heights, the occasional cab from hoboken to the heights ($7-$8) is in budget.....

Posted on: 2009/11/16 18:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/12 16:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Some parts of the Heights are nice. But to claim that the Heights is as convenient, transportation-wise, as living Downtown, is in most cases just incorrect.

well there is also the car factor. for a person who couldn't own a car downtown, the heights at least gives you the option. with a car, your transporation becomes quite convenient.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
For a work commute, the mode of transportation doesn't matter so much. However, young people like to hang out in NYC in the evenings, and there's a huge advantage to living near a PATH station when you're coming home at 2 in the morning. Without a more direct connection to NYC, I just don't see the heights going down the same path (no pun intended) as downtown.

Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
PATH train superiority complexes are so cute. Because shoehorning yourself into a smelly metal box overcrowded with strangers 10x a week is so much classier when the box is on rails than when it operates on 4-wheels.

Quote:

ripple wrote:
Except you don't have any mass transit within reasonable walking distance - PATH is at least 15 minutes from most places in the heights.

Quote:

Michael Castro Jr., 25, a bank sales associate who has been living in the 600-square-foot Heights condo he bought for $140,000 a year ago, said his new neighborhood "is like 20 years ago in Brooklyn."

Posted on: 2009/11/16 18:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
PATH train superiority complexes are so cute. Because shoehorning yourself into a smelly metal box overcrowded with strangers 10x a week is so much classier when the box is on rails than when it operates on 4-wheels.

Quote:

ripple wrote:
Except you don't have any mass transit within reasonable walking distance - PATH is at least 15 minutes from most places in the heights.

Quote:

Michael Castro Jr., 25, a bank sales associate who has been living in the 600-square-foot Heights condo he bought for $140,000 a year ago, said his new neighborhood "is like 20 years ago in Brooklyn."

Yes, but the main drawback is the complete lack of late night transportation to/from the Heights.

As uncivil as the PATH may be at times, it is a lifeline, like an old friend, that is "usually" there for you, 24 hours a day.

And Downtown JC has *3* PATH stops. You are never far from one.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
the heights is a BIG area. have you ever been? i used to live right by the grove street path. now i live in the heights. my commute is the exact same time. depends on where you work in the city (if at all). when we were looking 4 years ago they wanted 400K for 500sqft in downtown, wasn't worth it then, still not worth it. couldn't be happier in the heights....

[quote]
ripple wrote:
]

Posted on: 2009/11/16 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

ripple wrote:
Except you don\'t have any mass transit within reasonable walking distance - PATH is at least 15 minutes from most places in the heights.

Quote:

Michael Castro Jr., 25, a bank sales associate who has been living in the 600-square-foot Heights condo he bought for $140,000 a year ago, said his new neighborhood \"is like 20 years ago in Brooklyn.\"

?

the light rail is at most a 5 min. walk from ogden ave (depending on how far up his house is). palisade ave is a couple of blocks away, with buses and jitneys that take you directly to port authority

Plus a lot more long time family owned food options within walking distance. For decent supermarket choices Stop & Shop is good for everyday items even the Hoboken Shop Rite is convenient to get to and the their parking lot is a pleasure. The Heights is a great centralized location, the rest of Jersey City and its outskirts are a close proximity to the Heights.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

regulator wrote:
Quote:

ripple wrote:

Quote:

?

the light rail is at most a 5 min. walk from ogden ave (depending on how far up his house is). palisade ave is a couple of blocks away, with buses and jitneys that take you directly to port authority

and this may come as a great shock but.....there are a few people who don't work in Manhatten. I'm not joking, I am serious. I have actually met one or two of them.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ripple wrote:

Quote:

?

Posted on: 2009/11/15 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Posted on: 2009/11/15 8:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I know it?s mean spirited of me to do this but I can?t resist. Here is a quote from the article:
So if we do a bit of math we can see that if the bank dick is 25, and he?s talking authoritatively of ?Brooklyn 20 years ago?, then we are asked to accept the point of view of a five year old? Or am I just jelouse I cant afford $140 thousand dollars for a home, or anything else?

Posted on: 2009/11/15 4:45

Wave of gentrification that leapfrogged the Hudson has reached new heights - Jersey City Heights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Heights' star is on the rise

BY Karen Angel
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
November 13th 2009

Resized Image
Clarel and Yvonne Thevenot with their son, 5, on the balcony of their Jersey City Heights home.

The wave of gentrification that leapfrogged the Hudson a few years back has reached new heights - Jersey City Heights, to be exact.

When banker Yvonne Thevenot saw her family's future home in Jersey City Heights five years ago, the house and the friendly neighbors immediately won her over.

"We just saw ourselves there," said Thevenot, 39, who lives in the Ogden Ave. home with her husband and 5-year-old son. "It has a great view of Manhattan, and there's a lot of space for us."

The Thevenots are part of a wave of young urban professionals sweeping into the Heights, a historically working- and middle-class neighborhood perched on the Palisades just west of Hoboken, once the hot across-the-river destination for folks priced out of the West Side and Brownstone Brooklyn.

The Thevenots' four-story, 100-year-old, gingerbread-style Victorian cost $454,000, making the family's monthly mortgage payment $250 less than the $2,100 they had been paying to rent one floor of a Park Slope, Brooklyn, brownstone.

In 2007, graphic designer Lori Kadezabek, 30, moved from her beloved Hoboken, where she paid $850 a month for an apartment shared with two roommates. Now, she pays $1,000 for 800 square feet.

"In the Heights, you get so much more space for your money," Kadezabek said.

The roughly 10-square-mile neighborhood is one of Jersey City's largest. While its basic character hasn't changed much in recent years, there have been improvements - including the revamping of Riverview-Fisk Park.

Once a glass-strewn dump, the park is now a popular playground whose upkeep is a communal affair.

"They tore up the playground and put a newer one, so now everyone respects that," Thevenot said.

Meanwhile, the Heights' 13-acre reservoir - defunct since 1992 - has been designated a nature preserve. Fishing and kayaking events are held there, and there are plans to build a jogging path and fishing pier.

He added, "I have a vision that it's going to get a lot nicer." kangel@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/y ... e_rise.html#ixzz0WtQsaw8X

Posted on: 2009/11/15 3:01

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017