Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: NJ transit to build pedestrian bridge from Hoboken to Newport
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
I am wondering how they will connect Paulus Hook and LSP without impacting boat traffic related to the marina. Either the bridge will have to be built quite high to accommodate ship passage, or built way back, near the current Jersey St. extension.

The walkway will connect around the marina, west from Morris Street, South along Marin, west along whatever new road is built in Liberty Harbor North, South along Jersey, and then into the park. There will not be a bridge over the canal.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
I am wondering how they will connect Paulus Hook and LSP without impacting boat traffic related to the marina. Either the bridge will have to be built quite high to accommodate ship passage, or built way back, near the current Jersey St. extension.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Many of the older developments in Edegewater are doing their best to avoid any kind of upgrades to their buildings which would trigger the required access to the waterfront.

In Jersey City, there are a few big holes right now. The segment from LSP to Paulus Hook, which is adjacent to Liberty Harbor North will not likely be built for years, as the progress in that development has slowed.

The hole in Paulus hook between Goldman Sachs and Morris Canal park has a grand plan, but no timetable or money.

Another gap right now is at Crystal Point, at the end of Second Street; the building is nearing completion and the walkway will have to open when its completed.

Another gap is in Newport along the south side of Newport Center I. Its not entirely clear to me how this was allowed. The legislation should pre-date this building, meaning they should be required to build the walkway. The legislation, when passed, allowed buildings to be constructed within 30 feet of the waterline (rather than 100 feet), in exchange for the walkway's construction. Since the tower literally sits on the edge of the water, I'm not sure why there isn't a walkway. Of course, after the way the Lefrak's behaved regarding the northern section of the walkway, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't just ignore the laws.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
No idea. The problem is that there's nothing linear about it. You keep having get pushed out to roads an neighborhoods. Basically any recent construction should have a decent path along the River for running/biking/walking.

From the Goldman Sachs Building heading north to 14th St in Hoboken is only about 3 miles.

The nicest stretch is LSP with the new southern extention which is about 7 straight miles.

There's also some great parts from Edgewater to Fort Lee along River Road. Hitting that road is no fun though.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 14:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/30 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks to all who worked on getting this opened! I can't wait to check it out this afternoon.

Does anyone know how many linear miles are currently open? Where is the start/finish?

Posted on: 2009/9/22 14:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/2 12:48
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
The message I posted, signed off by Helen, might have looked like I was Helen. I just wanted to say that I merely posted the email she sent out, I am not Helen and am not responsible for all the work she did in getting the bridge to be opened 24/7. Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/9/22 12:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Where would we be without LeFrak? And he gave out free coffee! More coverage, if you're so inclined, at BCB.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 4:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Waterfront walkway to stay open 24/7? The answer is yes

By Jamie Schuh / The Jersey Journal
September 21, 2009, 4:19PM

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ss ... _walkway_to_stay_ope.html

Jamie LeFrak, managing director of Newport, fifth from left, cuts the ribbon along with government officials, to the new waterfront walkway that connects Newport in Jersey City to Hoboken.During the official ribbon-cutting event held today to open the Long Slip pedestrian bridge, a segment of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway, Governor Corzine announced that the bridge, which connects Jersey City's Newport neighborhood to Hoboken, will stay open at night.

walkway2.jpgReena Rose Sibayan / The Jersey JournalLocal officials and residents from Jersey City and Hoboken, as well as pre-school kids at the River School in Newport, walk across the newly-opened waterfront walkway."Send out the word, it's open 24/7!" the Governor shouted as he and a group of other officials -- including Mayor Dawn Zimmer, Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, Senator Robert Menendez and Congressman Albio Sires -- lead a walking tour of the bridge.

Gov. Corzine called the Long Slip pedestrian bridge an "important step in linking the 18.5 miles" of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway project.

"Piece by piece, we're getting organized," he said.

Newport mega-developer Jamie LeFrak was also on hand to christen the bridge, which, save for a small portion of the bridge linking the Hoboken terminal, was financed entirely by his group.

He touted his efforts to transform the "wasteland of remnants" on the coast of Jersey City into what is now Newport.

"The culmination is this walkway," LeFrak said.

As for LeFrak's original problems with keeping the walkway open at night -- namely, having to provide security -- he says they are now out of his hands.

"Jersey City is taking responsibility," he said.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 1:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/24 18:54
Group:
Registered Users
Go Helen! You are the Man(ogue)!

Posted on: 2009/9/21 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The signs are coming down! The hours of usage permitted on the northern section of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway in Jersey City will now be, as required by law, 24/7.

The official opening and dedication of the Walkway and the Long Slip Canal Bridge will occur on Monday, September 21, 2009 at 2:30 p.m. Everyone is invited to celebrate the closing of another gap in the 18.5 linear mile pathway at the river edge planned to extend continuously linked from the tip of Bayonne to the GW Bridge. A very important part of this event is the focus on the hours of access to the walkway; this is a reconfirmation of the rule of 24 hour access to the river edge. The NJ Department of Environmental Protection successfully negotiated with the developer of the Jersey City segment to make this happen. Another focus of this opening event should be the role of the general public in getting the gates opened and the hours enforced. The insistence of the general public for their right to access brought about, to a great extent, this appropriate resolution.

Congratulations to all participants for the continuing dialogue and the sincere efforts to bring this matter to a successful conclusion.

Helen Manogue
President
Hudson River Waterfront Conservancy

Great work, guys!

Posted on: 2009/9/21 12:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The signs are coming down! The hours of usage permitted on the northern section of the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway in Jersey City will now be, as required by law, 24/7.

The official opening and dedication of the Walkway and the Long Slip Canal Bridge will occur on Monday, September 21, 2009 at 2:30 p.m. Everyone is invited to celebrate the closing of another gap in the 18.5 linear mile pathway at the river edge planned to extend continuously linked from the tip of Bayonne to the GW Bridge. A very important part of this event is the focus on the hours of access to the walkway; this is a reconfirmation of the rule of 24 hour access to the river edge. The NJ Department of Environmental Protection successfully negotiated with the developer of the Jersey City segment to make this happen. Another focus of this opening event should be the role of the general public in getting the gates opened and the hours enforced. The insistence of the general public for their right to access brought about, to a great extent, this appropriate resolution.

Congratulations to all participants for the continuing dialogue and the sincere efforts to bring this matter to a successful conclusion.

Helen Manogue
President
Hudson River Waterfront Conservancy

Posted on: 2009/9/21 12:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The signs appear to be down for now. Maybe this will change after Corzine and Menendez have their ribbon cutting. But until then, hats off to the Waterfront Conservancy for pushing the issue, and for the NJDEP Department of Coastal management for taking their directives from the law and not a private developer.

Posted on: 2009/9/20 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Quote: "I built it as sort of a goodwill gesture, to connect Newport to NJ Transit's Long Slip pedestrian bridge," said LeFrak last night. Since he wasn't required to build the walkway, LeFrak said he's also not required to follow that 24-hour mandate.

Pure evil. Forcing people to walk a much more dangerous route to get between Hoboken and JC at the worst possible hours.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Corzine and Menendez will be presiding over the bridge "opening" on Monday. Election-year politicians + press + restricted-hours sign + pissed-off pedestrians (oh, and did I mention the press?). Somebody did the math.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Damn, maybe the sight of you or others dangling above the Hudson brought them to their senses.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 17:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/14 4:02
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to hear that this will now be open in the morning. The security guard who opened it each morning at 6 for the first couple of weeks was really very prompt each morning and even opened it a little early a couple of days which allowed me to catch the 6:02 train.

Then, on Thursday (9/17), a different guard opened the Jersey City gate but didn't unlock the Hoboken gate. Not knowing this, I walked along the walkway to catch my train only to find a locked gate in my way. So there I was climbing along the railing to get around the gate with my butt hanging out over the Hudson with suit and ties, dress shoes, briefcase, etc.

Friday morning, the Jersey City gate was gone and the Hoboken gate was wide open at 5:45 am.

There is no longer a gate on the Jersey City side, so I'm hoping it stays open for good.

Posted on: 2009/9/19 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/19 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
Please keep us apprised indeed, because if you read what Jamie LeFrak (the egotistical dimwit who has unfortunately thrown his two cents into this) said, they built this with their own $$$ and we should be appreciative of the fact that he "allows" us to use "his" walkway.

http://www.nj.com/hobokennow/index.ss ... kway_from_jersey_cit.html

Quote: The walkway cost LeFrak $2 million to build; it was funded solely with his own money.

Quote: "I built it as sort of a goodwill gesture, to connect Newport to NJ Transit's Long Slip pedestrian bridge," said LeFrak last night. Since he wasn't required to build the walkway, LeFrak said he's also not required to follow that 24-hour mandate.

Posted on: 2009/9/11 19:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
HUDSON RIVER WATERFRONT CONSERVANCY OF N.J. INC.

Hoboken/Jersey City Walkway link.

The Opening of the LOCKED Gates

The Governor?s Office issued the order to open the gates that locked out the public from the use of the recently completed bridge between Hoboken and Jersey City which is part of the Hudson River Walkway. The unlocking occurred on Sunday, September 6, 2009.

The Conservancy is pleased that it was able to help in achieving the opening of the Walkway link between Hoboken and Jersey City. This segment of the Walkway was opened to the public after years of discussion by the NJ Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) with the LeFrak organization. which initially declined to construct the Walkway on its property until the adjacent upland area went into development. Once the bridge was completed utilizing federal funds provided by NJ Transit, the Walkway was able to be constructed. Credit has to be given to the NJ DEP for pursuing this matter and thanks go to the LeFrak group for its ultimate willingness to work on this project. The Conservancy offers congratulations to both parties.

The Problem Now

The hours posted for access at the entrance to the bridge area are clearly in violation of the NJ Rules and Regulations governing Walkway usage (6 a.m. ro 9 p.m. summer; 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. sinter). The Walkway is to be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In further conversation with the DEP, the Conservancy has suggested several ideas for settling this matter. We are hopeful that within the next 10 days that the issue of hours will be resolved and the public will have unlimited hours of usage.

We will keep you posted.

Posted on: 2009/9/11 18:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It was locked this morning at 5:55 am. I need to make a 6:22 train, so I couldn't wait to see if they actually arrive at 6 am to open it. It didn't seem like they do. There was no one in sight.

It's so frustrating to have to walk around or take the light rail when there's no good reason to lock this thing.

Tomorrow I will wait there until 6 am to see if it actually opens on time.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:

I dunno, that gate looks pretty operational:

Resized Image

The fact that they can close the bridge doesn't mean they will. Come back if you see it actually closed at night.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 20:41
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
The posted hours may just be some over-eager lawyer's attempt at limiting LeFrak's liability if someone gets mugged. They may provide security only during the "open" hours, but not actually "close" the walkway at night. That would be my bet.

I dunno, that gate looks pretty operational:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/9/9 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
The posted hours may just be some over-eager lawyer's attempt at limiting LeFrak's liability if someone gets mugged. They may provide security only during the "open" hours, but not actually "close" the walkway at night. That would be my bet.

So does that mean Lefrak is taking responsibility if someone is mugged on the sections that are open? Will Lefrak compensate someone mugged on the streets of Newport?

Posted on: 2009/9/9 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/9 17:15
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
any more updates on the hours being illegal?

i'd like to go down there around 9:15 just to see. Does it have anything to do w/ security? are they just too cheap to keep the lights on/ security going? that would seem par for the course. Millions on a walkway thats closed during the busy hours. They probably didn't make a big deal of a ribbon cutting b/c of all the uproar about the hours. You know the people in charge, keep their heads in the sand and avoid, avoid, avoid.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Not the last time I checked, although that was a few weeks ago.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 16:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/14 13:52
Group:
Registered Users
So it is now opened up near Crystal Point?

Posted on: 2009/9/9 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/9 15:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/13 13:10
Group:
Registered Users
it is finally open! ran from paulus hook to hoboken and back this morning.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 11:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/9/9 0:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The bridge was open this afternoon when I got off the train at 4:30 pm. Not sure if it's official or if someone just took out the fence. They did a great job with the walkway. It's so nice just to be able to walk home from the train.

Posted on: 2009/9/8 21:20

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017