Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
68 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 68

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Car registration question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
I just went to the DMV over in Edison by my Mom's to just renew my license. I had all the needed ID paperwork and it took one hour and ten minutes. I just sat there patiently and awaited my number to be called. No more evening hours also due to budget cuts. The older I get these things get a bit more annoying! I sat and watched a Chinese guy wander from worker to worker there and he did not have the proper ID - he began yelling at everyone and it made me nervous. A 'yuppie' style Mom and her teenage daughter arrived and all the daughter needed was a photo ID in order to fly with the family to a wedding. The Mom began screaming at the clerks because the daughter had no ID - "but I'm her Mom - 'they' told me to come here!". Ah the older I get the more nervous I get while doing these things. I collected my new license, paid the $24.00, and bolted out of there as fast as I could

Posted on: 2008/8/6 17:26

Re: NJ Car Registration Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Yes! They give you the registration when you pay, it's a red and white card about the size of a business card. If you can't find the card call The MVC first thing and make sure your in the system. http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/About/Contact.htm. Check the website for the hours and get a duplicate asap.

Posted on: 2008/8/6 3:27

NJ Car Registration Questions
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/6 5:22
Group:
Registered Users
I did my registration and title last Friday at the MVC. Now that I am home, I don't recall having a registration paper/card given to me (like I get an insurance card from Geico). Was I supposed to receive one?

The car that I registered was a new vehicle (2006 model) that I bought from a private party, so perhaps it's already been registered? But do I get a card or something? What happens if I get pulled over by police and they ask for registration papers? What do I show?

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with NJ car laws, and this is my first car being registered in NJ. Any help is appreciated!!

Posted on: 2008/8/6 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
The permit is $10/year.

Actually it's $15.

And I've had a pretty easy time at MVC on Summit Ave the last few times I've been there. They have people to help you fill out your paperwork and make sure you have all the correct ID BEFORE you get in line.

Posted on: 2007/11/20 5:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
If I were you, do not go to the Jersey City DMV on the weekend. Actually, I wouldn't even go there during the week. They are so disorganized and not helpful. We went to the DMV in Bayonne on the weekend and it was very fast.

Posted on: 2007/11/19 23:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/12 12:56
Group:
Registered Users
Avoid the Journal Square MCV any other time than between 10:17AM-11:14AM on a weekday as it is a bleeding nightmare. There is a ritual killing at Noon and it really helps if you act out, scream and tell people that "You know people."

Paperwork: If you are a non-US citizen/immigrant, bring as much documentation as you can including your dead grandmother's left index finger. Any other digit is acceptable as long as it is notarized and included with a sworn affidavit from the mayor of your ancestral village and/or Placido Domingo.

Tltle: Be sure the title is clear or a complete disaster. Anything else will prevent the MCV from cutting you a NJ title. Even a new car title won't necessarily cut it as you still have to bring 6 forms of ID and a box lunch for the line at JSMCV mentioned above.

License: You will need this so JCPA can revoke it with hundreds of mystery tickets given to you even though you park the car in your building's garage.

Inspection: This is similar to the title in that a brand new car with 1 mile on it will fail 20 times in a row, but the ginormous 1984 Town Car that insists on blocking your driveway and smokes like Marlene Dietrich will pass with a 2 year inspection sticker.

Posted on: 2007/11/19 21:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all the tips.

This looks like a very time consuming task but I guess it is doable.

Does everyone agree that I should get a NJ Driver's license first before buying the care or should I use my NYC Driver's license to buy the car. Or maybe it does not matter?

Posted on: 2007/11/19 21:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Make sure he has the title, it is clean, and that he can sign it over to you. This is pretty important.

Posted on: 2007/11/19 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
2 Sites will answer yr questions

NJDMV.COM
JCPA

good luck

ck

Posted on: 2007/11/19 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I would start with the car insurance as that is actually the easiest part and they are used to walking you through the steps. Once the title is signed over to you, you legally have 10 days to register it so don't have it signed over until you have all your ducks in a row.

Call several places. If you have a clean record Geico tends to be great. They keep reducing my rate ever year... that's bizarre, but I love it.

The insurance company you settle on can then walk you through the steps for the rest of the stuff.

Your permit will be the last stop and should be very straight forward. Everything must be perfect and they don't except cash. You need proof of address, car registered in your name and a license to match (all with the address in JC of course). The permit is $10/year.

MVC walks you through the 6 point indentification needed on their web site. http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/ and their customer service has gotten pretty good at their summit ave location.

You will need to get the car inspected elsewhere though.

Call ahead before heading over to any facility to make sure you have everything you need.

Posted on: 2007/11/19 19:25
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Car registration question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
Hello,

I just moved from NYC to Jersey City. I also want to buy a car to have in JC. My friend in Brooklyn is selling his used car and I was interested in finding out how to proceed.

1) I know I need to get my NYC driver's switched to New Jersey.

I also know that I have to buy/apply for a parking permit for my zone.

I also know that I have to get car insurance before I buy the car.

If anyone can help me, figure out how to do this that would be great.

Can I go to the DMV and get this all done in one shot?

Anybody know an affordable car insurance company that covers downtown JC?

Anybody know what information I need to prove my residence in JC.

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Posted on: 2007/11/19 19:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017