Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
57 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Curvaceous new building is planned for the corner of Newark Ave & Third Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCActivist wrote:
I think you got your corners wrong. the art deco (former police station) is right across the St.

Ah sorry, got turned around.

Proceed with demolition.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 16:08

Re: Curvaceous new building is planned for the corner of Newark Ave & Third Street
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/20 17:25
From Jersey city nj 07302
Group:
Banned
I still find this building design very unpleasant in these renderings. It looks clunky and already outdated, but perhaps i just dont have the "eye" to visualize it in reality. the red accent looks pretty garish to me. Just because its different doesnt automatically make it good. The interior renderings remind me of the 1970s "futuristic" design style. ugh.

But I'm trying to think positive and hope the final design looks better than the renderings. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the end result of the Hamilton House building over by Enos Jones park. The design renderings didn't totally blow my mind but in reality I find it to be a very pleasant, sophisticated and good looking building. Much, much better than a lot of the stuff going up by some other builders with their faux brick exterior and vinyl siding in the back....

Posted on: 2016/5/5 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtmot wrote:
The density of this area is lacking. I welcome the new neighbors and new life to the neighborhood whom will look for businesses in their immediate area to patronize. The businesses will adapt to their needs once there is a strong base of people here that they can do business with and be able to survive

I guess I am not sure how the density is any different than many other areas of JC? there aren't many big buildings in this area (but then again besides the immediate area around the PATH and waterfront that is true of most of JC) and what businesses have failed? some random niche clothing shops that don't really carry much of anything? a lot of people move to this area cause they don't want to live in a giant tower with 200 neighbors.... I don't see why the goal is to make every block of JC a giant tower with zero charm and family appeal
(that being said while I don't love the building look personally I am not against thing project either.... I think that corners are areas that are the best options for taller buildings vs infill among other 2-3 story houses)

Posted on: 2016/5/5 12:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/12 0:31
Group:
Registered Users
I think you got your corners wrong. the art deco (former police station) is right across the St.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Yo fuck this!

If you're going to demolish something, don't let it be one of the only art deco buildings in the whole city!
There's so much other garbage we could be knocking down.

Relax, this is the building it will replace:

Resized Image

It may have been attractive several lives ago, but we'll struggle to remember what it looked like in a few years.

I know a lot of people in the village are opposed to the development going on (and there is a LOT of it), but I think it's inevitable and unstoppable. I don't see what the big deal is. Most of the area is basically industrial wasteland. How many used car dealers do we need in a rapidly densifying neighborhood?

Posted on: 2016/5/5 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
What does Yvonne think? A curvaceous building might be too suggestive for some.

+1 well done

Why is this even a question? It doesn't have a 4:1 parking ratio or have surface level parking of any kind. The ground floor will probably be a bar or restaurant or a useful business to the area, not medical offices. Of course she reviles it.

I bet she's already blasted emails to the Village Neighborhood Association and HPVA leaders to rehearse their talking points and oppose this at all costs.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 2:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

+1 well done

Posted on: 2016/5/5 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/5/5 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Yo fuck this!

If you're going to demolish something, don't let it be one of the only art deco buildings in the whole city!
There's so much other garbage we could be knocking down.

Posted on: 2016/5/5 1:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/19 17:02
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The density of this area is lacking. I welcome the new neighbors and new life to the neighborhood whom will look for businesses in their immediate area to patronize. The businesses will adapt to their needs once there is a strong base of people here that they can do business with and be able to survive

Posted on: 2016/5/4 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtmot wrote:
That's a great looking building iconic design and as a close living lifer I welcome it.... great job hope more people show that kind of interest around here our businesses could def use it

The problem with businesses failing around there isn't the fault of the streetscape- it's that people seem to constantly be opening really pointless stores that are always half art gallery half clothing and make zero sense from a business perspective. There is no need for half the places that open. I am constantly amazed by how poorly thought out every business model seems to be in the Village with very few exceptions (the restaurants are all pretty good).

Posted on: 2016/5/4 23:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/19 17:02
From downtown
Group:
Registered Users
That's a great looking building iconic design and as a close living lifer I welcome it.... great job hope more people show that kind of interest around here our businesses could def use it

Posted on: 2016/5/4 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Surprised people are liking this design. I think it looks hideous compared to the rest of the neighborhood. The people designing the building are going against everything they claim to "love" about this area. It's more affordable than the waterfront ...so we're going to add some more expensive condos and ruin it!

Posted on: 2016/5/4 22:46

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/12 0:31
Group:
Registered Users
WOW... WOW... WOW

This is a jaw dropping design. Now all we have to do is rebuild the other corner on Newark and Brunswick and this area will change for the better forever

Posted on: 2016/5/4 22:39

Curvaceous new building is planned for the corner of Newark Ave & Third Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

JERSEY CITY ? A curvaceous new building is planned for the corner of Newark Avenue and Third Street, one the developer hopes will become the neighborhood's "marquee building."

The $3 million six-story, five-condo building will sit on a small, triangular lot, which forced designers to devise an unconventional look for 280 Newark Ave., said developer John Fiorito, of Point Capital Development.

"We asked him for something a little bit more out of the box," Fiorito said. "It makes a statement."

Frederick Cooke, of C+C Architecture on Newark Avenue, designed the new building, which will replace a three-story existing structure housing six residential units and Fiorito's offices. Cooke said the 1,400-square-foot lot "didn't lend itself to conventional form," so he had to look at other ways to give the building presence.

Cooke's firm moved to Jersey City one year ago.

"We're very proud to be in Jersey City and do cool stuff here," he said.

Fiorito sought and received a zoning variance in February that allows him to make the new building six stories. Zoning regulations require a maximum of five stories. Fiorito said the new building will be roughly 70 feet high.

Residents of the city's Village section have battled developers and city officials hoping to bring more density to this small neighborhood of three- and four-story homes on the western end of Downtown. Some told The Jersey Journal they were surprised at the speed at which Fiorito's building was approved by the Zoning Board and would probably have challenged the variance if they had known it was up for approval in February.

Rob Crow, the VNA president, told The Jersey Journal he "would liked to have a bit more notice, but I don't think it was anything too out of the ordinary.

"It's a challenge for neighborhood associations to keep up at times with the current tidal wave of proposed developments," Crow said.

Fiorito said he expects construction to begin on the new building by early next year. The existing building will be demolished.

Natalie Miniard, principal broker at JCity Realty, told The Jersey Journal she loves when developers oversee "cool, unique buildings" like the one planned for 280 Newark Ave.

Miniard said she's not surprised the Village is attracting new development. The creative businesses opening up there ? Radical Wellness, the Brunswick Center ? along with hip restaurants like Third & Vine give the area a trendy vibe with a lot of the spirit of Downtown Jersey City while remaining more affordable than areas closer to the Waterfront, she said.

"There's a really strong neighborhood over there," Miniard said. "They're still able to enjoy the conveniences of what's going on closer to the PATH while still feeling very much like a neighborhood."

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... downtown_jersey_city.html

Posted on: 2016/5/4 22:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017