Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Best Part of The Heights
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/16 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
I recommend walking distance from the Congress/9th St. light rail station (that also includes the southeastern-most part of Union City). There are lots of transportation options to NY (light rail to PATH, 123 & 119 buses, jitneys, etc.) and you can take the elevator to Hoboken for groceries - the Shop Rite is very close, and there's a cheese/wine store in the Monroe Arts building. There's also a farmer's market in Riverview-Fiske Park (~2 blocks south of the station) in the summer/fall, and Central Ave. has several small markets, bakeries, and delis.

If you're getting back from Manhattan late, the last bus leaves at 1:15 a.m. on weekdays and 1:45 a.m. on Saturday night. It's also an easy cab ride from the Hoboken PATH.

And if you like to walk, it's not unreasonable to walk to the waterfront/Washington St. in Hoboken from the neighborhood (I should mention that we walk a lot!).

Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/3/23 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Well there were about 12 people there not sure from where though.

When they had he meetings at PS 28 (together with Heights Hope meeting), there were usually at least 30 people. Captain Zacche and the Community Relations Team was great. Not sure about Capt. Martinez yet. Guess we'll see. If you go next month, I'll see you there.

When the Captain's meeting was held at #28 school it was a combined effort/meeting. Most of the members (99%) were from Heights Hope group it seems after the Captain's meeting moved from the police station prescient on Central Ave. to two other venues the atttendence was low. Even at #28 school there were very few attendees for the Captain's meeting, it bacically died that is why the Heights Hope group took on the Cap meeting in the first place. In the beggining of the double meeting the captain would speak and take questions first then leave. So now the new captain is trying to resurrect the meeting and bring it back to what it was concentrating on police/criminal issues with the top dog running the meeting giving constituents a chance to speak with the Captain in charge of delegating orders from the top down.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 3:35
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
Does anyone from here show up at the meet? I'm thinking of going next time.. Perhaps, i'll run into few Jclisters?

When they had he meetings at PS 28 (together with Heights Hope meeting), there were usually at least 30 people. Captain Zacche and the Community Relations Team was great. Not sure about Capt. Martinez yet. Guess we'll see. If you go next month, I'll see you there.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 2:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sepecat wrote:
Does anyone from here show up at the meet? I'm thinking of going next time.. Perhaps, i'll run into few Jclisters?

Posted on: 2013/3/22 11:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
Has the Captain's meeting been permanently moved? I know they are having the debates at the Heights Hope meeting (where the Captain's meeting was usually held) - so curious if they just moved it because of that, or some other reason??

The Captain's Meeting date and venue has been changed !It is now on the third Wednesday of the month at #7 school on Laidlaw and Summit at 7pm
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rict_captains_meetin.html
Posted on: Today 7:45

Yes it has moved permanently not just because of the debate.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 11:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
Has the Captain's meeting been permanently moved? I know they are having the debates at the Heights Hope meeting (where the Captain's meeting was usually held) - so curious if they just moved it because of that, or some other reason??

The Captain's Meeting date and venue has been changed !It is now on the third Wednesday of the month at #7 school on Laidlaw and Summit at 7pm

Posted on: 2013/3/22 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/22 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I've been in the heights since the mid 90's. It's a good area. If you want an easy transport, you'll have to live near Kennedy Blvd since there is a mix of buses and jitney's. However after 12, i don't think there's a whole lot of options off a kennedy. I live before Manhattan ave and my area is ok.. Is it as quite as when i moved in, no, are there some people i find to be seedy, yes.. People do walk on Kennedy (around me) until 12-1 in the morning.. but the foot traffic isn't much after 9-10..

Central ave has stop and shop. Newark ave has Indian groceries and restaurants. Journal Sq has a mix of shops, and the Path is right there.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 2:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/27 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
We live on Webster between Congress and North...a great block: quiet, cool neighbors, lots of trees. The light rail is a seven minute walk, and the 123 bus to Port Authority is about 4 blocks away: I timed it this past weekend and it got me door to door in 17 minutes! Truly! To be honest, though, at times the transportation situation up here is not the greatest. The #87 bus into Hoboken can't always be counted on to be punctual, and I've had some frustrating times waiting FOREVER for a bus when I've decided not to take the light rail. I feel safe walking on our street at night because it's wide and open and well-lit...there are some streets that seem a little too quiet at night. If you stay on Congress or Palisade you should be fine. C-Town on Central is okay (they have started carrying organic milk), but we usually go to the huge Shop Rite in Hoboken, which is about a 12 minute walk and which has recently been completely redone after Sandy. They deliver, too. I do wish there were more close-by stores that sold fresh produce. Although I really love it here, sometimes I'm nostalgic for the days when I lived in Hoboken and could run across the street for a head of lettuce or a package of chocolate chips.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jo3_13 wrote:
Downtown. Alternatively Hoboken.

Truly asinine and unhelpful, unless of course you're offering to fund Monas the price difference.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 20:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Downtown. Alternatively Hoboken.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sam112 wrote:
I've been in the Heights for 8 years (transplant from Manhattan). Live on the lower, Western end of the Heights (called Sparrow Hill) - couple of blocks from Sherman Place which I agree very nice (one of the nicest block in the Heights). I recommend this area. Jitneys and buses travel to/from Port Authority to Journal Sq. We're about 1 mile from Journal Sq PATH and can bike there. The area has a good family vibe -- but not nightlife if you're looking for that. I feel much, much safer here compared to a lot of other neighborhoods in JC. Central Ave is close -- Shop & Stop is a decent supermarket although they don't have a deli. You also have Pershing field (track; pool is under renovations; ice skating rink in winter). Ogden is also very nice -- but I'm not crazy about Palisades. I actually prefer west of Pershing field.
Captains meeting is on 3rd Thursday on the month at 7PM at public school 28. Some links: http://www.jcheights.com/community-block.shtml
http://heightshope.webs.com/
spotcrime. com Best of luck.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 11:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in the Heights close to 60 years.

West of Pershing Field, think Carlton, Troy are nice neighborhoods & gives you the transporation options of Summit Ave. or Kennedy Blvd. West of Kennedy Blvd., Sparrow Hill btwn. Manhattan Ave. & Elm St. is a quiet area. The Western Slope, btwn. Manhattan Ave. & 5th St, also is a very residential area. Sherman Pl., Sanford Pl. is a nice little area. Ogden Ave. another good option.

Unfortnately grocery is sorely lacking on the large scale end due to short sightedness. The local Stop & Shop is barely adequate as is the C-Town at the other end of Central Ave. I will not comment on El Supremo on Palisade Ave. The farmers' market is great & a good way to meet your neighbors. We have an excellent deli in Podewitz, some excellent places to eat- El Sabroso, Good Year, Renato's.

You do not have to go to NYC, go downtown to Porto, Amelia's, Michael Anthony's, Azucar or any other of the many places that now call Jersey City home.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 11:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
On Sundays in late spring/summer/early fall the farmers market in Riverview Park provides a great option for buying fresh organic & conventional (local) fruit & vegetables. If you like gardening, I believe there?s a new community garden at the South end of Ogden. I believe the Captain?s meeting is now being held on the third Wednesday of the month at school #7 (as posted in Heights? response, a few back). I live half a block from Palisade and find the 23 bus very convenient to NYC. Trolley Car Bar has been a great addition for food & nightlife (across from Supremo on Palisade) and now there?s Yoga in the Heights, held Mondays, Thursdays at 7:30 and Sundays at 11 AM at The Distillery Gallery.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 5:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've been in the Heights for 8 years (transplant from Manhattan). Live on the lower, Western end of the Heights (called Sparrow Hill) - couple of blocks from Sherman Place which I agree very nice (one of the nicest block in the Heights). I recommend this area. Jitneys and buses travel to/from Port Authority to Journal Sq. We're about 1 mile from Journal Sq PATH and can bike there. The area has a good family vibe -- but not nightlife if you're looking for that. I feel much, much safer here compared to a lot of other neighborhoods in JC. Central Ave is close -- Shop & Stop is a decent supermarket although they don't have a deli. You also have Pershing field (track; pool is under renovations; ice skating rink in winter). Ogden is also very nice -- but I'm not crazy about Palisades. I actually prefer west of Pershing field.
Captains meeting is on 3rd Thursday on the month at 7PM at public school 28. Some links: http://www.jcheights.com/community-block.shtml
http://heightshope.webs.com/
spotcrime. com

Best of luck.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 4:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/21 17:04
Group:
Registered Users
Hi and welcome. I have lived in the Heights for 20 years and moved from Webster Ave to Sherman Ave to Sherman Place. I liked all of them. Without a car I think the Sherman Place area is great because the bus lets you out there, the Path is nearby either through J S or the Hoboken Path ( 20 min NYC). I can run out to Central Ave for food until 12 pm. We have fish fruit, Stop And Shop, Arab specialties, the greatest Andrea deli, Indian store, Mexican, Italian coffee and bakery, and Diner food. We have a great farmers market and farm shares. If you want bars and clubs, go to downtown or to NYC. We have some nice date spots that are not too expensive, but romantic. I walk a lot. You can walk here and shop for everything ordinary and shop for special stuff in NYC. There are nicer areas in the Heights than others. It depends on your lifestyle. Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
There are other posts pertaining to this subject. Ogden ave is nice, West of Pershing Field area has a relaxing neighborhood feel to it. The Western Slope is quiet more families but no public transportaion until you get to Kennedy. So west of the Boulevard is the better side north of Manhattan Ave. Check out some of the neighborhood associations along with the Police Captain's Meeting held the third Wednesday of the month 7pm at #7 school on Laidlaw & Summit. There are more food options up in the Heights and they have two bike shops as well.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/17 14:03
From Moe's Deli
Group:
Registered Users
anything near Palisade and you are fine as far as public transportation goes. Western Slope is probably a bit quieter, but the buses are not as plentiful as Palisade.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 0:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/19 0:13
Group:
Registered Users
ogden ave is quiet and clean , new york ave and the congress area is also ok . Walking distance to hoboken's shop rite which has plenty of good stuff and some decent organic goods . Central ave has plenty of places to shop and eat . fish market etc, Been in this area for along time and the little lady never had issues at night coming home. Also several options to get to the city . One of the main reasons we stayed, rent and commute

Posted on: 2013/3/20 23:32

Best Part of The Heights

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/26 6:51
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All,

I am thinking of moving here without a car.
Which area / blocks are the best?

My main concerns are:

Best for transportation to and from manhattan.

Good groceries in walking distance. (Clean supermarket, fresh meat and veg, organic options a +)

Safety at night (single girl walking alone).

Best for short term resale (I may only be here for 2 years).

P.S. Thoughts on other convenient / very affordable hudson county options are appreciated.

P.S.S. What about western slope?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Posted on: 2013/3/20 21:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017