Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
411 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 411

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Taxpayers Pay for Most Water Main Repairs Despite Utility Company Profiting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Seems strange they would justify an exceptional rate increase after Sandy, then ask the City to pay for repairs.

http://www.unitedwater.com/newjersey/Newscenter.aspx?id=8542

Quote:

Additional system improvements include:

? The replacement of water mains, valves and hydrants that have improved water service to customers and strengthened fire protection

Double-dipping?

Posted on: 2013/12/20 11:14

Re: Jersey City Taxpayers Pay for Most Water Main Repairs Despite Utility Company Profiting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
It's hard to say how much of this is the old infrastructure and how much of it is the responsibility of UW with respect to maintaining and replacing. What I do know is that this administration has shown that it is willing to make major changes even with long standing providers of services. And UW does not have the goodwill that JCMC has developed in the community.

I wouldn't say make a change for the sake of making a change. But certainly this administration should make sure we get the best deal we can get.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
it's tempting to slag UW based on this part of the contract, but I'd think we'd really have to know more to say whether or not it's actually a bad deal. E.g. if JC gets clean water at a favorable enough price to offset the repair costs, it's not a bad deal.

It's also not immediately apparent what is causing the current problems. E.g. if UW wasn't in the picture, JC and Hoboken could have the same level of problems.

This is not to say that it's a good deal, just that we don't know without more information.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
If united Water kicks in $2.6 million to the city, I'm sure the mayor will #respect the utility .

Quote:

Annod wrote:
Tweets from our mayor:

The city council/admin needs 2 do a review of our contract w/United Water and perhaps look to other options. Clearly there is a disconnect.

A city our size needs service and care and #respect from service/utility providers. @UnitedWaterNJ #JerseyCity

Posted on: 2013/12/19 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I thought taxpayers were going to save so much when it was privatized....isn't that the bs of which shundler and team convinced most people

Posted on: 2013/12/19 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Tweets from our mayor:

The city council/admin needs 2 do a review of our contract w/United Water and perhaps look to other options. Clearly there is a disconnect.

A city our size needs service and care and #respect from service/utility providers. @UnitedWaterNJ #JerseyCity

Posted on: 2013/12/19 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
United Water is the absolute worst. I can't believe how often we have stuff like this happen. Maybe our mayor and council could address this next?

Posted on: 2013/12/19 14:48

Jersey City Taxpayers Pay for Most Water Main Repairs Despite Utility Company Profiting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Taxpayers Pay for Most Water Main Repairs Despite Utility Company Profiting

An I-Team investigation last fall found taxpayers are responsible for almost all wate rmain repairs, even though United Water collects all the water revenue. Chris Glorioso reports

Watch Video on WNBC - TV New York

Posted on: 2013/12/19 8:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017