Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
82 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: most violent/bloodiest cities: Newark,Camden,Paterson,JC,Elizabeth,AC,Irvington,Plainfield,Orange
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
as far as crime and gentrifiation, i think gentrication just pushes the poor/poorly educated out of the nab to more affordable areas...these new areas then become distressed.

someone told me that this is happening in the suburbs of dc where there has been an upsurge in crime because the city is relocating people from the inner city dc to the suburbs.

i think part of the solution to rampant inner city crime is much tougher sentencing (no release for violent crimes), mandatory education for women on public assistance and compulsory school attendance for their children. courts to convict parents who don't make their children attend school, etc.

Posted on: 2012/12/31 1:31

Re: most violent/bloodiest cities: Newark,Camden,Paterson,JC,Elizabeth,AC,Irvington,Plainfield,Orange
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hello. Everyone on here is expressing an opinion. I have nothing against GV or WB or BL, and there are plenty of nice houses there.....but these areas are very spotty. I've looked and looked and considered buying there. Perhaps I am wrong but I doubt it. These areas IMHO just lack the mass that will get people (with plenty of disposable income) to move there......maybe if Journal Square takes off and people start migrating away then perhaps.

anyway i think property values will rise in these areas but just less than dt, jsq and the heights.

Posted on: 2012/12/31 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
To Vindication15. I wish I could agree with you but I don't see GV, BL gentrifying to any significant degree - I don't mean to be harsh but Bushwick and other areas of Brooklyn benefit from close proximity to the subway.

I doubt that many people with plenty of disposable income are gonna migrate to GV, BL because the houses aren't that nice in general, the links to Manhattan are expensive and time consuming. I see Union City gentrifying before GB, BL, WB. Personally I would move to decent part of Bayonne or Staten Island before GV. The planned BayFront community should be a positive for GV IMO

This is your opinion. The problem with GV and BL they are both huge unlike downtown and they will never, ever completely gentrify only the areas next to the lightrail stations.

Take a walk through GV on a Saturday morning on a nice day around the Danforth or Richard street lightrails the gays and lesbians are already here with lots of disposable incomes fixing up the houses. Some of them even have gay flags on their homes if you should have a hard time telling who's gay and who's not. Me and my friends joke about it, we call it gayville.
I think the further away from the lightrails the more people from NYC wont invest in, like Kennedy Blvd which only offers the 10 bus back to Journal Square. As far as you saying GV and BL don't have attractive housing, again this is more dtjc BS and propaganda . DTJC does not have a tons of Victorian homes neither does Newport or PH, and we do not get floods up here.
I work for Bravo TV unmarried and no kids with lots of disposable income, paid 160k in a foreclosure for my place and it is now worth 225K within only a year and a half.

It takes me 28 minutes door to door to get to my office in NYC., and I have options. I can take the lightrail to the path to NYC which is 28 min , the bus directly into NYC which is 45 min, or the ferry from Port Liberty which is 35 min. If I had my Wheaties I can ride my bike to Grove (10 min ride) which makes my commute 30 mins. As far as crime here, I lived DTJC b4 most of you got there I lived down there in the early 90's when Newark ave and Grove street looked like Ocean ave, but I purchase my apt down there and stuck it out and sold it in 2007. Crime was high as hell down there back then, it took time but it was worth it, and I guess me being 6'2 200 lbs helped.
I made some great money on an apt that flooded all the time DTJC. My buddies who all purchased places in Hoboken at the time thought I was crazy for buying down on Grove street, the same way some some of them and you think I am crazy now for buying in GV but as long as neighborhood has transportation and you get in cheap and are willing to wait it out, you will be fine. Happy New Year!

1. I don't think gentrification is a way to reduce most crime. Eliminating the need to commit crime through jobs, education, etc. probably works better and doesn't cause dislocation of people priced out or "scared out"

2. I've lived in DTJC since 1982 (with some job-related relocation) and never perceived that crime was sky high, particularly violent crime. Even the police captain back then - Henne (?) - told us that crime in DTJC was mostly of two sorts: people of color on people of color (not his words) and domestic violence. As a reasonably fit, reasonably cautious white male, I was not likely to be a victim of violent crime. I understand that everyone's perception is their reality, and maybe because I liked so many aspects of living here, I perceived it as safer than it actually was, or safer than other people felt.

3. Jersey City has 5 historic districts, 4 of which are downtown. They have been put on the national register because of their high concentration of Victorian brick row houses, almost all of which are in intact rows of 5 or 6. Most were built between 1840 (Gregory row) and 1870. I believe they are Greek Revival and Italianate. Obviously, Newport and the waterfront lack these because they were early on developed with passenger and freight rail.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
To Vindication15. I wish I could agree with you but I don't see GV, BL gentrifying to any significant degree - I don't mean to be harsh but Bushwick and other areas of Brooklyn benefit from close proximity to the subway.

I doubt that many people with plenty of disposable income are gonna migrate to GV, BL because the houses aren't that nice in general, the links to Manhattan are expensive and time consuming. I see Union City gentrifying before GB, BL, WB. Personally I would move to decent part of Bayonne or Staten Island before GV. The planned BayFront community should be a positive for GV IMO

This is your opinion. The problem with GV and BL they are both huge unlike downtown and they will never, ever completely gentrify only the areas next to the lightrail stations.

Take a walk through GV on a Saturday morning on a nice day around the Danforth or Richard street lightrails the gays and lesbians are already here with lots of disposable incomes fixing up the houses. Some of them even have gay flags on their homes if you should have a hard time telling who's gay and who's not. Me and my friends joke about it, we call it gayville.
I think the further away from the lightrails the more people from NYC wont invest in, like Kennedy Blvd which only offers the 10 bus back to Journal Square. As far as you saying GV and BL don't have attractive housing, again this is more dtjc BS and propaganda . DTJC does not have a tons of Victorian homes neither does Newport or PH, and we do not get floods up here.
I work for Bravo TV unmarried and no kids with lots of disposable income, paid 160k in a foreclosure for my place and it is now worth 225K within only a year and a half.

It takes me 28 minutes door to door to get to my office in NYC., and I have options. I can take the lightrail to the path to NYC which is 28 min , the bus directly into NYC which is 45 min, or the ferry from Port Liberty which is 35 min. If I had my Wheaties I can ride my bike to Grove (10 min ride) which makes my commute 30 mins. As far as crime here, I lived DTJC b4 most of you got there I lived down there in the early 90's when Newark ave and Grove street looked like Ocean ave, but I purchase my apt down there and stuck it out and sold it in 2007. Crime was high as hell down there back then, it took time but it was worth it, and I guess me being 6'2 200 lbs helped.
I made some great money on an apt that flooded all the time DTJC. My buddies who all purchased places in Hoboken at the time thought I was crazy for buying down on Grove street, the same way some some of them and you think I am crazy now for buying in GV but as long as neighborhood has transportation and you get in cheap and are willing to wait it out, you will be fine. Happy New Year!

Posted on: 2012/12/30 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Why the apoligies ? How were you being harsh ?? It's fact you can't change the numbers.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 12:02
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/12/30 5:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Yes, it happens in GV, BL, the Heights etc... but violent crimes are not just murder. Last time I checked, Newport, PH and downtown are still part of JC and BL, GV are just a few minutes away from DTJC by bike 10 min.

Once we realize we are all in this together and stop trying to separate ourselves like our mayor has done to this city for so long we will always be a part of this so called bloody city list mate.

Most folks here on JClist (not folks I meet off this site) has the attitude if its not happening in my backyard, so its not my problem. Newsflash as long as this $hit keeps happening your property is still effected and you then become part of the problem not the solution. If GV, BL had less crime we would not be known as Jersey $hitty.

Many folks back in the day who lived in GV when it was all white said the same thing when crime was high DTJC. Let them all kill each other, its not my problem we live up here. When crime started to move up to GV and the riots took over the city it forced many of the Irish, Italians, Polish, to flee GV to the suburbs. History has a way of repeating itself so don't sleep. WTF up!

I move to GV to be part of the solution and not ignore its problems. Happy New Year!

In the FBI?s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, violent crime is composed of four offenses: murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Violent crimes are defined in the UCR Program as those offenses which involve force or threat of force.

I would say that the worst of the violent crimes - murder, non negligent manslaughter, and forcible rape mostly happen in GV and BL.

The way most cities improve is not by improving all together but by improving section by section. Bushwick did not improve at the same rate as Brooklyn Heights so the strategy to lump GV and Newport together won't work...

When Newport, PH, and the rest of downtown are done improving, journal square, heights, BL, and then GV can have its turn...that's the way it works.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 5:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, it happens in GV, BL, the Heights etc... but violent crimes are not just murder. Last time I checked, Newport, PH and downtown are still part of JC and BL, GV are just a few minutes away from DTJC by bike 10 min.

Once we realize we are all in this together and stop trying to separate ourselves like our mayor has done to this city for so long we will always be a part of this so called bloody city list mate.

Most folks here on JClist (not folks I meet off this site) has the attitude if its not happening in my backyard, so its not my problem. Newsflash as long as this $hit keeps happening your property is still effected and you then become part of the problem not the solution. If GV, BL had less crime we would not be known as Jersey $hitty.

Many folks back in the day who lived in GV when it was all white said the same thing when crime was high DTJC. Let them all kill each other, its not my problem we live up here. When crime started to move up to GV and the riots took over the city it forced many of the Irish, Italians, Polish, to flee GV to the suburbs. History has a way of repeating itself so don't sleep. WTF up!

I move to GV to be part of the solution and not ignore its problems. Happy New Year!

Posted on: 2012/12/29 14:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Since this is just about NJ -- it is rather meaningless -- what is the point? NJ suburbs are safer than NJ cities?

Posted on: 2012/12/29 13:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
It must be based on a crime to population ratio and we sure do have a lot of shiht happening within our small 'square mile' known as JC.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 11:04
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
I can't speak for other cities but VIOLENT crime is isolated in JC to mostly GV and BL. There are very few murders in paulus hook or newport...

non violent crime, however can happen almost anywhere.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 7:42

most violent/bloodiest cities: Newark,Camden,Paterson,JC,Elizabeth,AC,Irvington,Plainfield,Orange
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(YES! We are featured in a Star Ledger piece about shootings. We are right up there with the best?err..worst of them. Who said any publicity is good publicity? Healy or Rahm Emanuel? Hey speaking of Chicago gee maybe we will rival them soon. )
Staggering amount of nonfatal N.J. shootings go unsolved, statistics show
By Star-Ledger Staff on December 28, 2012 at 6:40 AM
By James Queally and Alexi Friedman/The Star-Ledger

Shoot and kill someone in New Jersey, and there?s a pretty good chance you?ll get caught: 65 percent to be exact.

But if you were the triggerman in one of the 2,593 nonfatal shootings that happened in the state?s bloodiest cities from 2008 to 2011, the odds were even better you got away with it.

A Star-Ledger review of police data over those four years shows about three quarters of all nonfatal shootings in New Jersey?s most violent cities remain unsolved, leaving hundreds of would-be killers on the streets each year. All told, nearly 2,000 nonfatal shootings went unsolved.

The data, gathered through public records requests that took months for most police departments to comply with, reviewed the state?s nine most violent cities: Newark, Camden, Paterson, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Atlantic City, Irvington, Plainfield and Orange.

Full SL piece?.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012 ... html#incart_river_default

November 2012 JCPD COMPSTAT ?560 reported crimes city wide.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 19:41

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017