Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: BOOM'S BEST FRIEND -- Light rail is called key catalyst to wealth of new condo complexes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I think the light rail has done more to spur development outside of the downtown-- the west side, Bayonne, and places north of Hoboken. I think the downtown would have continued sprouting high rises and new developments whether the light rail existed or not. Its the places more than a half mile from a PATH station that really benefit. I think though the biggest limitation of the light rail is that they turn it off in the middle of the night. Until its on a 24/7 schedule like the subways, its not so useful for younger, hipper generations. And its the hipsters and the yuppies that drive gentrification.

Posted on: 2007/5/1 13:39

Re: BOOM'S BEST FRIEND -- Light rail is called key catalyst to wealth of new condo complexes
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/14 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
The light rail has spurred significant development activity in hudson and bergen counties. It was an excellent use of fun. I laugh at all those people who said it would never reach its ridership targets. Some people are so short-sighted.

Ridership targets must have been pretty low if they've been reached. Going back and forth from work during early and late rush hour times (7am and 7:30pm or so), I cross light rail tracks and see a train a few times a week, and they're always almost empty.

Posted on: 2007/5/1 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What was first?
The purchase of all the prime land along the light rail or the light rail !!

Posted on: 2007/5/1 1:08
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
The light rail has spurred significant development activity in hudson and bergen counties. It was an excellent use of fun. I laugh at all those people who said it would never reach its ridership targets. Some people are so short-sighted.

Posted on: 2007/4/30 20:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/24 1:03
Group:
Registered Users
what next for america? a high speed train that actually goes high speed?

Posted on: 2007/4/30 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tqwert2 wrote:
This is absurb. If anything, proximity to the light rail is hurting sales at some of the downtown and Hoboken developments because of the noise crime problems.

Controversially fixed this for you

Posted on: 2007/4/30 19:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/14 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
This is absurb. If anything, proximity to the light rail is hurting sales at some of the downtown and Hoboken developments because of the noise problems.

Posted on: 2007/4/30 18:30

BOOM'S BEST FRIEND -- Light rail is called key catalyst to wealth of new condo complexes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
BOOM'S BEST FRIEND
Light rail is called key catalyst to wealth of new condo complexes

Monday, April 30, 2007
By COTTON DELO
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Ringing in its seventh year this month, the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail continues to be an engine fueling development in Hudson County, judging from the wealth of condo complexes springing up in its path.

"Wherever we are, especially on the waterfront, we've been a tremendous catalyst for redevelopment," said Joe North, NJ Transit's general manager of light rail. "I think that's going to be part of our legacy."

NJ Transit officials point to the light rail as a crucial factor in making projects like Liberty Harbor - the 28-block residential and commercial development between Jersey Avenue and Marin Boulevard stations, due for the first phase of move-ins on May 15 - feasible.

Situated in the midst of former brownfields, Liberty Harbor will be linked to various modes of transport via light rail.

"It's a straight shot to Exchange Place or Grove Street PATH station," observed Jan Wells, who researches transit-oriented development and is completing an impact study on the HBLR for NJ Transit through Rutgers. "The secret of success here is the connectivity."

Five thousand residential units have built been or are under construction in the half-mile stretch between Essex Street and Jersey Avenue stations since 2000, she said.

Wells also cited the impending development at the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor and intense building activity at Weehawken's Port Imperial - where the HBLR went on line in October 2005 - as evidence of the light rail's magnetism.

For some marketers, the light rail has become an integral addition to the catalogue of amenities used to entice buyers.

Shortly before the New Year, Linda Cantatore of the Hoboken-based Renaissance Realty Group started dangling free passes - good for light rail and bus transfers for one year - to prospective buyers at The Neopolitan near Hoboken's Second Street station and Bella Vista Estates in Weehawken.

She thinks the light rail is largely responsible for the influx of residents on the western side of Hoboken.

"I think it's introduced lifestyle into our southwest end," she said.

"It's all about the light rail," said Dean Geibel, a Hoboken-based developer whose holdings include Trump Plaza in Jersey City and MetroStop, adjacent to Hoboken's Ninth Street station, both under construction.

"That's what's driving development in Hudson County - mass transportation."

Some of the effects are still speculative.

Developer Peter Mocco expects the 350,000 square feet of commercial retail space - due to be completed in two and a half years - on Liberty Harbor's main drag to attract local shoppers in droves.

The light rail will run through the middle of the future Morris Boulevard, with traffic on either side.

"What happens is it brings Jersey City back to being a retail hub," he said.

Posted on: 2007/4/30 11:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017