Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Andrew Hill 1931-2007
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I am thinking of going to the service.

I went to Dizzy's memorial up at St. John the Devine and it was amazing. Jazz royalty showed up.

-M

Posted on: 2007/4/26 17:08
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
He was someone, imho, who it wasn't all that easy to get into, even for jazz fans with avant proclivities. Speaking from personal experience, I'd owned his "Spiral" LP (Arista/Freedom) since the late 70s, I think, enjoyed it sorta but not enough to really investigate further. I'd hear pieces of his from time to time on the radio and always *almost* have them grab me. But then, finally, way late in the game, I picked up "Point of Departure" and everything clicked. So whereas someone like Cecil Taylor never caused me a moment's hesitation, the ostensibly "straighter" music of Hill proved quite knotty, at least for this listener. Probably because it's not all that straight at all!

Posted on: 2007/4/26 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I have to admit I was not familiar with him -- but am really enjoying his music now.

Very accessible and I am hearing all kinds of influences in his style (classical/impressionist).

Really amazing.

-M

Posted on: 2007/4/26 16:45
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/27 13:56
Group:
Registered Users
rest in peace, truly -- mr. hill's contributions to modern music are still being worked out by successive generations of new musicians. his late-period works is especially uncanny and masterful, where his initial 60's work helped define a broad embrace of harmonic advance, improvisational courage and exacting compositional rigor that was shared by many of his fellow blue note progressives, and exemplified by no one better. blue note founder alfred lion loved hill and thought him to be the last great giant he signed, so much so that his last request before his death in the 90's was to have the (pre-norah) revitalized blue note record hill one more time.

peaceout, andrew hill. jk

p.s. jersey city, and jclist, should be mournful of the loss of one of the true greats who lived in the city. "not jersey city," indeed... i'm going to request this thread be re-posted to arts & entertainment...

Posted on: 2007/4/26 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
I don't understand why this is in the NOT Jersey City, as while Andrew played all over the world, he lived in Jersey City.

It is with great sadness we that note the passing of Boosey & Hawkes composer and jazz pianist Andrew Hill. Hill died Friday, April 20, 2007 several years after being diagnosed with lung cancer. He was 75 years old and lived in Jersey City, NJ. The funeral will be open to the public at Trinity Church (89 Broadway at Wall Street) this Friday, April 27, at 2:00 pm. Those who would like to send cards or condolences to his family may use our address.

Andrew enjoyed a lengthy international career as performer and recording artist, and educator. He leaves an extensive and highly acclaimed recorded legacy, dating from the 1950s (So In Love) to his 2006 trio album Time Lines (Blue Note), named to many critics' top ten lists. Hill is survived by his wife Joanne Robinson Hill, and a neice, nephew and cousin, besides a devoted coterie of friends, typically creative artists and perceptive fans.

Just before his passing, Hill was delighted to learn of two honors which will now be designated posthumously. The first is an honorary doctorate of music degree from Berklee College of Music which will be presented at commencement on May 12. Previous jazz honorees "for their achievements in the world of music, and for their enduring contributions to American and international culture" include Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Tito Puente, Quincy Jones and Ahmet Ertegun. He was also recently named a NEA Jazz Master (2008), joining the ranks of the most accomplished of jazz artists.

We are honored to have been a part of his life over the past few months and will continue to work to bring the legacy of his music to listeners far and wide. More information on Andrew can be found on our website www.boosey.com/hilhttp://www.boosey.com/hil or his website www.andrewhilljazz.com http://www.andrewhilljazz.com .

Warm regards,
Sarah

Media & Public Relations Associate
Boosey & Hawkes
35 E. 21 St.
9th floor
New York, NY 10010
212 358 5361

Posted on: 2007/4/26 3:16
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
I had the absolute honor to have Andrew as a neighbor.
He could have given us all a lesson in humilty and humanity.
We will all miss him practicing and composing on his piano.
His pleasantries were gems, food for thought and laughter. This year end end his album was chosen by two critics in the NY times as album of the year. Not jazz album of the year but album period. Number one ahead of EVERY artist. We were living with a contemporary of
Thelonius Monk and Miles Davis. Andrew faced his illness with such dignity and courage. We will remember and love both he and lovely Joanne always.

Posted on: 2007/4/24 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bolew wrote:
Andrew Hill died at 4 a.m. today, April 20, 2007, several years after being diagnosed with lung cancer. He was 75 years old and lived in Jersey City, NJ.

Hill, born June 30, 1931 in Chicago, Illinois (contrary to some previously published places and dates dates), had a lengthy international career as performer and recording artist, and educator (at Portland State University; he also gave master classes at New York University, and elsewhere; he leaves a voluminous and highly varied recorded legacy, dating from the 1950s (So In Love) to his 2006 trio album Time Lines (Blue Note), named to many critics' top ten lists. Hill is survived by his wife Joanne Robinson Hill, and a neice, nephew and cousin, besides a devoted coterie of friends, typically creative artists and perceptive fans.

Funeral and tribute information has not been determined.

Andrew Hill was one of the giants of the music, master pianist and composer and influenced many including my good friend, pianist Frank Kimbrough.

He was rightfully lionized by his peers, though the press, some critics and public were late to the party, Lincoln Center and the New York Times finally paid tribute to this wonderful artist.

He will be missed by those who knew him, or his music and hopefully some of those who have not heard him will venture to listen.

Posted on: 2007/4/20 17:07
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Rest in Peace

Posted on: 2007/4/20 17:00

Andrew Hill 1931-2007
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Andrew Hill died at 4 a.m. today, April 20, 2007, several years after being diagnosed with lung cancer. He was 75 years old and lived in Jersey City, NJ.

Hill, born June 30, 1931 in Chicago, Illinois (contrary to some previously published places and dates dates), had a lengthy international career as performer and recording artist, and educator (at Portland State University; he also gave master classes at New York University, and elsewhere; he leaves a voluminous and highly varied recorded legacy, dating from the 1950s (So In Love) to his 2006 trio album Time Lines (Blue Note), named to many critics' top ten lists. Hill is survived by his wife Joanne Robinson Hill, and a neice, nephew and cousin, besides a devoted coterie of friends, typically creative artists and perceptive fans.

Funeral and tribute information has not been determined.

Posted on: 2007/4/20 16:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017