Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
38 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 38

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NYC Marathon
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:
There?s an official TCS NYC Marathon app. I?ve used it before when I went to go watch a few friends run. You can track anyone running the race on the app. It?s pretty accurate +/- a few minutes. The app also has the map of the course.

You can?t get into Central Park unless you have a pass. Best place to catch someone is around mile 18 (1st Ave and about 96th) and around mile 23 (5th Ave and about 96th st). This way if you miss them at mile 18, you?ll have a second chance. Trains will be packed heading uptown so give yourself some extra time.

This is 100% on point: the 1st Av / 96th St and 5th Av / 96th St locations are prime spots for catching runners. Just make sure to agree to a location ahead of time so your runner knows where to look for you, as it can be stressful and maddening otherwise. Also, as soupydumplings mentioned, the app is invaluable. Just make sure to have your phone fully charged, as it is a common complaint that it drains the battery.

Also, just to clarify, Central Park is not entirely closed. Only the route areas. Everything North of 90th St is open and that is how you will want to cross to the west side if you are planning to meet up after the race. For details on Central Park closures, see here: http://www.centralparknyc.org/events/ ... dual-events/marathon.html.

Also, it seems like this year they have taken feedback into account and corrals are not closing as early as in other years. The updated information for timelines can be found at this link: https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/sites/d ... 0Start%20Times_100918.pdf

The key thing to remember for race day is that corrals are closing at 25 minutes, or less, from start time. That's much more sensible than in previous years. See below, or refer to the link right above.

Corrals open 8:50 a.m. 9:35 a.m. 10:05 a.m. 10:30 a.m.
Corrals close 9:25 a.m. 9:55 a.m. 10:20 a.m. 10:45 a.m
Wave Start 9:50 a.m. 10:15 a.m. 10:40 a.m. 11:00 a.m.

Good luck to everyone participating!

Posted on: 2018/11/1 13:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 3:11
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
There?s an official TCS NYC Marathon app. I?ve used it before when I went to go watch a few friends run. You can track anyone running the race on the app. It?s pretty accurate +/- a few minutes. The app also has the map of the course.

You can?t get into Central Park unless you have a pass. Best place to catch someone is around mile 18 (1st Ave and about 96th) and around mile 23 (5th Ave and about 96th st). This way if you miss them at mile 18, you?ll have a second chance. Trains will be packed heading uptown so give yourself some extra time.

Posted on: 2018/10/31 3:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/5 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
I've been commissioned to wait with a friend for her nephew to pass. I'm guessing the runner's designated area is in Central Pk. Is there an app or some tracking device we can use to avoid standing there 4 hrs? Is it easy to get to in a reasonable amount of time? Thanks for the advice.

Posted on: 2018/10/30 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you!!!

Posted on: 2018/10/30 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jsqfunk wrote:
Let me make sure I got this (this thread has been super helpful for first timer runners)
1. Take uber or lyft
2. Make sure the driver takes the Bayonne bridge
3. Get dropped off at McClean and Lili Pond
4. If your wave starts at 10:40, leave Jersey City around 8:30 am

That all sounds about right. If you are in the 10:40 wave, your corral will likely close around 9:45 (plus or minus 5 minutes, but play it safe and plan on it to close the official full hour early at 9:40) and once they close it, they WILL NOT let you in, and this is something for which they are super strict. But, do not freak out if you miss your corral: you can always join a later corral without any hassle. Your stated time corresponds to the 3rd wave, so you would still have the 4th (and last) wave as a fail-safe option.

If you leave JC at 8:30, you'll make it to the drop off area of McClean and Lily Pond between 9 and 9:15, which is plenty of time to clear security and walk to your corral stress free.

Posted on: 2018/10/30 12:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
Let me make sure I got this (this thread has been super helpful for first timer runners)
1. Take uber or lyft
2. Make sure the driver takes the Bayonne bridge
3. Get dropped off at McClean and Lili Pond
4. If your wave starts at 10:40, leave Jersey City around 8:30 am

Posted on: 2018/10/29 23:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:
Thanks everyone for the tips.

Leaning towards taking an Uber/Lyft to the starting line, which brings up another question. Site says you must get dropped off by 6:45 am. Is this just another exaggerated NYRR time? I?m going to assume it is. I?m in the first wave, so if I could plan to get there around 8-830 as advised, that?d be ideal.

What they mean by clearing SIE is the area leading to/from the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. The Bayonne Bridge remains open throughout the day and it is the way you will want to head into SI. You want to be dropped off on McClean Avenue, over by Lily Pond Ave. There is a back entrance there that is a LOT BETTER than the main entrance used by most runners / participants. This is the designated area for law enforcement, volunteers, but also runners.

This is a Google Maps link to show you where to get dropped off.
https://goo.gl/maps/pd2BHU7SXCJ2

And, this is the route I follow every year:
https://goo.gl/maps/bH9mTaTTE7u

You will notice that the linked routed above gets off at the exit for Clove Rd. Normally, they make you get off there, or the one after. Don't worry, there is very little traffic in the morning, and you will notice other people doing the same thing and following pretty much the same route. But, definitely head for the intersection of McClean and Lily Pond. There is very little people using that entrance, so clearing security is a matter of seconds and you will be stress free.

It really is the best way to get there.

Posted on: 2018/10/29 22:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks everyone for the tips.

Leaning towards taking an Uber/Lyft to the starting line, which brings up another question. Site says you must get dropped off by 6:45 am. Is this just another exaggerated NYRR time? I?m going to assume it is. I?m in the first wave, so if I could plan to get there around 8-830 as advised, that?d be ideal.

Posted on: 2018/10/29 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A close friend from Queens had the same experience: she chose the SI ferry, instead of getting a ride to the start line, and by the time she made it to Fort Wadsworth, she was frazzled, tired, and all around drained. The SI ferry / shuttle option was a shitshow (apparently, the shuttle portion is super chaotic and you end up standing in line for a long time) and she was required/forced to be there so early, that she ended up spending upwards of two hours in the Start Village doing nothing but shivering while waiting in low temperatures. NYRR is excellent at putting on races, but the Marathon start (and, to some extent, the finish area) is a clusterf*ck that can mar the experience for many people.

I would offer the OP a ride, but we already have a full car for Sunday morning. I would suggest posting on NextDoor.com, as someone there may be driving and have room, or maybe looking for the same. Also, check with the local meetup group "JC Runners".

Quote:

jsh278 wrote:
I second this advice. The WORST thing you can do on race day is take the ferry to the start village. I made that mistake one year and ended up expelling so much energy navigating to the ferry, then being herded with thousands of other runners from the ferry to buses, standing in line, standing on the bus. It took way too much time and energy. If you're running 26.2 miles that day, do yourself a favor, and take a cab. Or get a hotel room near the start line and spend the night. Whatever you do, don't take the ferry. You'll end up feeling depleted before you even start the race.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

ladybert wrote:
I would recommend switching to the SI ferry option if you can.

This is bad advice, for two reasons:
- transportation selection is already closed, and has been for quite some time, and
- travel time via SI ferry (plus the shuttle from the SI terminal to the drop off point at Fort Wadsworth) is 90 minutes (minimum) and very chaotic, while the Metlife bus option is an hour, or less.

My advice, from having done this six times already, is to drive to the start line. That requires someone dropping you off, or riding an Uber or Lyft. If you leave JC by 7:45, you will be at the drop off point between 8:15 and 8:30. First wave takes off at 9:50, so those corrals will close around 9, so you would have at least 30 minutes to walk through the start village until you find your corral, assuming you are in the first wave. If you have a later wave, then adjust accordingly. If you are planning to do a bag drop (you really shouldn?t!) then allow additional time for that, as the village is chaotic and the bag drop area is far from the corrals. Also, another tip, don?t waste time standing in line to use the porta-potties. There are a ton of them inside the corrals and then some more on the way to the start line. A ton of first timers make that mistake and end up missing their assigned time as the corrals close so early.

https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-yo ... ansportation-to-the-start

Posted on: 2018/10/29 17:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 17:01
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I second this advice. The WORST thing you can do on race day is take the ferry to the start village. I made that mistake one year and ended up expelling so much energy navigating to the ferry, then being herded with thousands of other runners from the ferry to buses, standing in line, standing on the bus. It took way too much time and energy. If you're running 26.2 miles that day, do yourself a favor, and take a cab. Or get a hotel room near the start line and spend the night. Whatever you do, don't take the ferry. You'll end up feeling depleted before you even start the race.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

ladybert wrote:

- transportation selection is already closed, and has been for quite some time, and
- travel time via SI ferry (plus the shuttle from the SI terminal to the drop off point at Fort Wadsworth) is 90 minutes (minimum) and very chaotic, while the Metlife bus option is an hour, or less.

My advice, from having done this six times already, is to drive to the start line. That requires someone dropping you off, or riding an Uber or Lyft. If you leave JC by 7:45, you will be at the drop off point between 8:15 and 8:30. First wave takes off at 9:50, so those corrals will close around 9, so you would have at least 30 minutes to walk through the start village until you find your corral, assuming you are in the first wave. If you have a later wave, then adjust accordingly. If you are planning to do a bag drop (you really shouldn?t!) then allow additional time for that, as the village is chaotic and the bag drop area is far from the corrals. Also, another tip, don?t waste time standing in line to use the porta-potties. There are a ton of them inside the corrals and then some more on the way to the start line. A ton of first timers make that mistake and end up missing their assigned time as the corrals close so early.

Posted on: 2018/10/29 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ladybert wrote:

Posted on: 2018/10/29 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/10/28 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

soupydumplings wrote:
Is anyone else in the downtown area running the nyc marathon on Nov. 4? If so, how are you getting to Staten Island?

I have the shuttle option from MetLife and was going to take a lyft/uber there. If anyone would like to join in the lyft/uber, I wouldn't mind covering it.

Or if you have a means to get to Staten Island and wouldn't mind accommodating one more person, I can reimburse for the ride and what not.

Thanks!

Why ride an Uber/Lyft to MetLife Stadium when it would take you just a tad longer to take the same car to the start line? Specially considering that the shuttles require you to arrive at an ungodly, super early hour. Depending on which wave you are running, your best bet is to arrive at SI 90 minutes before your assigned start time. The corrals for each start time usually close an hour early (last year they actually shrank this time lead to about 45 or 50 minutes) so keep that in mind. Clearing security is a breeze, but walking from the security checkpoint to the actual staging areas is a good 10 or 15 minute walk. Good luck!

Posted on: 2018/10/25 18:44

NYC Marathon
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Is anyone else in the downtown area running the nyc marathon on Nov. 4? If so, how are you getting to Staten Island?

I have the shuttle option from MetLife and was going to take a lyft/uber there. If anyone would like to join in the lyft/uber, I wouldn't mind covering it.

Or if you have a means to get to Staten Island and wouldn't mind accommodating one more person, I can reimburse for the ride and what not.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2018/10/25 14:46

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017