Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
56 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cat Groomer Recommendation?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
No long hair advice here, but I have found for trimming nails that the key is to play with their toes all the time when they're in your lap, till your messing with their toes is not a hostile act but a sign of affection. My boy purrs when I give him a "foot massage".

Posted on: 2018/2/22 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for the recommendations and just general support :)

I bought a short little pair of blunt tip scissors that have a serrated edge (cuts the fur without it slipping out) at Fussy Friends and managed to trim some fur during the afternoon nap. I also got a couple nails while he was sleeping.

It's encouraging to hear that just getting a little done every day works for some folks. That may be what we try to do for now.

Although I guess shedding season may change our minds!

Posted on: 2018/2/22 20:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/18 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Many years ago I used to take my cat to the groomer who was located at the Hoboken Animal Hospital. They were located in the basement and I took my cat there to get her nails trimmed every couple of weeks (she would NEVER let me do them, it was always a fight). I would call Hoboken Animal Hospital to see if the groomer is still there.

Posted on: 2018/2/22 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
We brought our Maine Coon to Groomingdales several years ago and it didn't go very well. We wanted a wash and a cut, but we got a phone call after the wash saying that the cat was so agitated that they wouldn't be able to do a cut. I doubt it had anything to do with their service or training, it's just that most places cater to dogs. Dogs are loud, social animals and of course cats are not. We learned how to do "cat baths" and bought some grooming clippers off Amazon and did everything at home. Sometimes it took 3 days to do a finished cut because cats don't tolerate sitting for more than a few minutes, but overall it was WAY less stressful than bringing them to a groomer. Maybe another option would be the mobile groomers that come to your house?

I went though the same scenario at Groomingdales. They were able to give her a cut one year, but the next year poor kitty was not having it. We bought a set of pet clippers and went to town ourselves. We also take the multi-day route to lessen the stress levels. Treats also play a big part in the yearly lions cut. I'd be happy to help someone with their first time trimming if needed. I'm no groomer, but I can get the job done.

Posted on: 2018/2/22 15:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 17:01
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Yes I'd like to know the same thing! I have a long haired orange cat and he is very fussy, I hate taking him to the vet unless absolutely necessary because he gets so nervous I worry he'll give himself a heart attack. I can't justify going through that for a groomer, I'd like to find someone to come to my house and groom him here. I can get him to let me brush him and he'll let me, but beyond that I don't know what I can do. It's almost shedding season, if anyone has any recommendations, I'd also love to hear it!

Posted on: 2018/2/22 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
We brought our Maine Coon to Groomingdales several years ago and it didn't go very well. We wanted a wash and a cut, but we got a phone call after the wash saying that the cat was so agitated that they wouldn't be able to do a cut. I doubt it had anything to do with their service or training, it's just that most places cater to dogs. Dogs are loud, social animals and of course cats are not. We learned how to do "cat baths" and bought some grooming clippers off Amazon and did everything at home. Sometimes it took 3 days to do a finished cut because cats don't tolerate sitting for more than a few minutes, but overall it was WAY less stressful than bringing them to a groomer. Maybe another option would be the mobile groomers that come to your house?

Posted on: 2018/2/22 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We'd like to maybe do the lion cut or something similar - we are battling fur matting on his chest and dingleberries on his bottom and he is becoming more aggravated with our attempts at trimming those areas. Trimming his nails is also not the most fun.

We got him in the summer from a local rescue and he is waaaay more fluffy then when we first got him. He seemed to be more of a medium haired cat then and now he is decidedly a long!

Posted on: 2018/2/21 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/2 11:06
From Scenic McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
What are you looking to have done? I have a long hair with a triple layer coat and we had a hard time finding any local places that did grooming on cats. Most places said that cats were to difficult.

I ended up learning to give my kitty a lion cut in the summer, and cut her nails at home.

Posted on: 2018/2/21 17:34

Cat Groomer Recommendation?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am wondering if anyone has used a local cat groomer that they like? I have a long haired cat that is getting a bit out of control and I think I may need some help :)

Thanks for any info!

Posted on: 2018/2/21 15:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017