Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: No need to fret, JC - NYC could build a new 6th Boro!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Personally, I agree with all of the opinions expressed - this will not provide affordable housing, except for a few set-aside apartments; and is probably politically and technically impossible.

What astounds me is the level of disconnect regionally - Manhattan and core NYC has such a severe housing shortage that they would at least consider building a brand new island, while neighborhoods like Jersey City Heights have vacant lots and abandoned buildings with views of Manhattan. Are there not regional planning efforts, no connecting of needs/solutions?

So many neighborhoods outside of DTJC are ripe for larger scale development - which would serve everyones best interests, yet these neighborhoods are allowed to remain a blight of single family houses and transit deserts. I don't get it.

Transit really is the key. Apparently, we think building an entire new island (with new transport infrastructure) is more feasible than to expand and improve train and ferry service to more neighborhoods. It is entirely ridiculous.

Posted on: 2015/8/19 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Personally, I agree with all of the opinions expressed - this will not provide affordable housing, except for a few set-aside apartments; and is probably politically and technically impossible.

What astounds me is the level of disconnect regionally - Manhattan and core NYC has such a severe housing shortage that they would at least consider building a brand new island, while neighborhoods like Jersey City Heights have vacant lots and abandoned buildings with views of Manhattan. Are there not regional planning efforts, no connecting of needs/solutions?

So many neighborhoods outside of DTJC are ripe for larger scale development - which would serve everyones best interests, yet these neighborhoods are allowed to remain a blight of single family houses and transit deserts. I don't get it.

Posted on: 2015/8/19 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
LOL @ thinking this is about affordable housing. How naive can one be? This would be like the crappier NYC version of Key Biscayne, assuming they could figure out a way to deal with the flooding issue.

Posted on: 2015/8/19 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The level of Aggravated Academic Idiocy in this idea is unbelievable. They willfully ignore the fact that they're deleting the East River, a major ecological and navigation waterway and dramatically narrowing the entire Hudson Estuary to the point where shipping can not pass, never mind the tidal flow of the entire Hudson Fjord. Those cute little islands are in 50 ft of water.

This is academia at it's worst, ignoring the entire real world to wank out a stupid idea that befuddles the people too ignorant to know how stupid it is. After Sandy similar ideas were floated showing wetlands in that same 50 ft deep harbor channel. Like they have a map but don't know what a marine sounding chart is.

Posted on: 2015/8/18 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I think this idea of a sixth borough is more of an academic exercise. Dredging the harbor to reclaim enough land to make an entire new borough seems far fetched, at best. And, the idea this would somehow alleviate the problem of affordable housing is very disingenuous. Look at Battery Park City! That area is quickly becoming one of the most expensive ones in Manhattan. I agree with the professor who countered that such a project would benefit developers the most.

Posted on: 2015/8/17 19:44

No need to fret, JC - NYC could build a new 6th Boro!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/08 ... _a_sixth_borough.php#more

Probably unrealistic, but an good example of thinking outside of the box vis-a-vis urban planning, affordable housing.

I can't help but wonder if Jersey City's planners read this. There are lots of areas in JC that are not living up to their development potential - the Heights, where I live, for example, due to infrastructure issues which we could correct more easily than building an entire island, such as real 24/7 mass transit access to the Heights.

Posted on: 2015/8/17 17:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017