Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City man gets gun license after three-year legal war
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, I didn't see the out of state part. Yes, you're right that's the right way to do it.

Although, when I inherited my grandfather's rifles from TX, I just declared them and took them with me on the plane as checked luggage. Was is the right way? No but it saved me tons of headaches. If someone else is shipping them to you, then you will have to go through an FFL and paperwork.

As far as buying ammo or looking at a gun, most gun shops that I've been to in NJ will not serve you unless you show them an FID card. I buy a lot of target loads from Dick's Sporting Goods in Union and they always want to see my card.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 2:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/3 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
paulushooker:

The OP stated this was an out of state transfer of ownership. That falls under the federal statute, which requires the NICS check. Getting the NJ FOID and running through an FFL is the correct way to do it.

Another note is this is not a registration of the firearm, but rather a registration of the holder. If he had inherited the guns from someone in NJ, there would be no paperwork. And as long they were shotguns, buying ammo requires no permit.

Posted on: 2014/12/3 0:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

You don't have to do anything to legally inherit them but I would recommend getting an FID (Firearms ID) card to be able to purchase ammunition in NJ.

Here are the NJ statutes: 

13:54-1.13 Firearms passing to heirs or legatees 

(a) Notwithstanding the provisions of this subchapter concerning the acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase a 
handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card shall not be required of an heir or legatee for the passing of a firearm, 
upon the death of its owner. A person so acquiring ownership may retain the firearm if he or she meets the requirements 
of N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.5 and 1.6. 
(b) If an heir or legatee is not qualified to acquire a firearm, he or she may retain ownership of the firearm for the 
purpose of sale for a period of 180 days, which period may be extended by the chief of police or the Superintendent. 
During such period the firearm must be placed in the custody of the chief of police or Superintendent. 
(c) In the case of assault firearms or machine guns disposition shall be in accordance with N.J.A.C. 13:54-5..

13:54-1.5 Prerequisites for a permit to purchase handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card 
(a) Every person issued a permit to purchase a handgun, or a firearms purchaser identification card, shall be 18 years 
of age and of good repute in the community in which he lives. 
(b) A permit to purchase a handgun, or a firearm purchaser identification card, shall not be issued to any person: 
1. Who has been convicted of any crime; 
2. Who is drug dependent as defined by N.J.S.A. 24:21-2; 
3. Who has been or is then confined for a mental disorder in any institution; 
4. Who is a habitual drunkard or an alcoholic; 
5. Who suffers from a physical defect or disease which would make it unsafe for him or her to handle firearms; 
6. Who knowingly falsifies any information on the application form for a permit to purchase a handgun or firearms 
purchaser identification card; 
7. Who refuses to waive statutory or other rights of confidentiality relating to institutional confinement; or 
8. Where the issuance would otherwise not be in the interest of the public health, safety and welfare. 
13:54-1.6 Exception for physical disability, mental disorder or alcoholism 
A permit or identification card may be issued to a person who had previously suffered from a physical defect or disease, 
or mental disorder, or was an alcoholic if the applicant provides a certificate of a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed 
in New Jersey, or other satisfactory proof that he or she is no longer suffering from that particular disability in such a 
manner that it would interfere with or handicap him or her in the handling of firearms.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
I am about to inherit a handful of rifles and shotguns from out of state. Does anyone know where I can find out what I'll need to properly license them?

Federal law allows you to transport firearms from one state to another. NJ however, you have to be careful. Don't even stop for gas or what this poor bastard did (stop at his mother's house).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Aitken

I would also recommend you join the ANJRPC as they have resources (Nappen, the attorney in this case is / was retained by them at one time) to answer your questions.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
assuming you have an NJ Firearms ID, contact a FFL:

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

ask what the "bulk rate" would be to transfer those long guns to you(handguns are a different story), and have a FFL from the other state to ship the guns to your FFL. you then have to fill out a bunch of paperwork, probably one for each rifle/shotgun. he would call NICS ($15 fee) to do a check on you and you're done.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am about to inherit a handful of rifles and shotguns from out of state. Does anyone know where I can find out what I'll need to properly license them?

Posted on: 2014/12/2 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I've never heard anyone applying for a gun permit being asked that stuff

10 years ago when I got my rifle / shotgun permit transferred to JC, I didn't have to answer any of that as well. The permit process is onerous enough as it is. Adding on extra requirements is something that started under Healy and has been support by Fulop. I guess Steve needs to get his progressive creds reinforced before running for governor.

JC did make me go through the entire background check for a second time, because they would not accept records transferred from another city (Hoboken). It was such a waste of time and resources.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
"license plate numbers, prior employers and waivers authorizing the release of "any and all information"

I've never heard anyone applying for a gun permit being asked that stuff

Posted on: 2014/12/2 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
A win for the Constitution, and a defeat for those who try to short circuit it with extra-legal strategies. Smackdown for Fulop.

Posted on: 2014/12/2 20:15

Jersey City man gets gun license after three-year legal war
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY ? City officials have ended a lengthy legal battle by finally granting a Jersey City man a gun license, three years after he applied for it.

Michael McGovern received the license last month. Evan Nappen, McGovern's attorney, said the city's decision is "very important" to the gun rights movement.

"There's now a pro-gun victory against Jersey City and we're proud of it and it stands as an example to all the other municipalities that want to break the law," Nappen said. "They're on notice."

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill did not immediately return a request for comment.

McGovern initially applied for a gun permit in 2011. The city denied his application, saying McGovern refused to fill out special forms that the city includes with its application. The city also cited three times McGovern was arrested for misdemeanor offenses in Florida about a decade before (McGovern said he was not convicted; the city asked for proof).

More

Posted on: 2014/12/2 19:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017