Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Morgan Fish Market & Restaurant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, Sharia isn't just the thing that the crazies invoke as an excuse to kill people. It's a broad term...from Wikipedia, a source we can all rely on:

"Sharia (Islamic law) deals with many topics addressed by secular law, including crime, politics, and economics, as well as personal matters such as sexual intercourse, hygiene, diet, prayer, everyday etiquette and fasting."

I work for a company that does business in the Middle East, and we set up a separate subsidiary that complies with Sharia law (for example, it doesn't charge interest for loans to clients).

Posted on: 2014/12/1 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:
the owner (or the person to whom I was transferred) explained that they do not allow alcohol on the premises because of Sharia Law.

Just out of mere curiosity (and nothing more), did the owner use the specific words "Sharia law" with you?

Yes. He did. Unless I completely messed up what he tried to say. The guy did have a thick accent. But, I did ask him to repeat and I understood the same thing twice. Like I just added in my previous post: I am (and, was then) totally ok with that. As far as I'm concerned, each owner can run his business as he sees fit, as long as they are within the law. If they don't want to allow alcohol on their premises, that's their prerogative, whatever the rationale. They were super nice over the phone and invited us to come down regardless. We didn't go because several in the group really wanted to have some beer and alcohol. But, everything I have read about the place makes it sound great, so I'll be there sooner or later.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:

To Bodhipooh...many muslims who are observant do not drink alcohol nor do any business related to it. So i could understand why they would not even allow a byob service.

I totally understand that. And, to make myself clearer, I was not at all bothered or upset by this. I'm just pointing it out as a fact for anyone who is considering going there. Sometimes, a summer meal with fish goes really well with some beer. :)

Quote:

Sharia law is something totally different....it would apply on a government/state level.

I'm not Muslim, so I can't comment with authority on this. But, my understanding is that sharia law is not just at a government or state level, but that it also has a personal application. And, that the whole of sharia law is a combination of interpretations of Quran laws, laws derived from the teachings of Muhammad, edicts from Islam leaders and an individual's understanding/interpretation of things.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
+1 on both Morgan Fish and the little grocery store - very friendly service and they always seem delighted to have "outsiders" visit.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 14:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, that's a bummer. I haven't been by lately and was wondering if it was still around.

Jerseymom, thanks for the tip about the store around the corner.

Quote:

Asif wrote:
I never got a chance to try the Afghan Kebab place....besides its been a year since i became a vegetarian, not sure if they had lots of non meat dishes.

Alas, i think they closed permanently. My last couple of times in JSQ they were closed.

Quote:
by JC_Livin on 2014/11/30 17:52:15

I love this place, especially their baba ghanoush. My boyfriend, who is usually less than enthusiastic about fish, says this is the best fish he's ever had.
Also try the Afghan kebab place a little closer to JSQ on the other side of JFK. Also delicious, and alcohol is not allowed there either.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:
But seriously this was awesome.

So glad you liked it! I didn't know they sold fresh fish - that's great to know.

Now if you get brave, take a little walk around the block onto Sip - about a block away from the fish place is a little divey Egyptian market (used to be called Amee Sultan) on the right. Haven't been there in a while, but they used to have a little restaurant tucked in the front right of the store behind sweaty front windows. They had this cabbage leaf dish stuffed with kufta (ground lamb) that was so good - I craved it when I was pregnant with my daughter. They also do a lamb with beans that's delicious, too. It's all halal - really yummy.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
a little disappointed that Egyptians don't walk any different from the rest of us!!! haha

But seriously this was awesome. We had the humus, baba ganoush, grilled shrimp, striped bass, and brown rice. Every thing was perfect, the decor is being updated and the owners were super friendly. I will be putting this spot into my rotation list to hit up when I crave fresh fish. This place is a must. They do sell raw fish at the front counter.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
I never got a chance to try the Afghan Kebab place....besides its been a year since i became a vegetarian, not sure if they had lots of non meat dishes.

Alas, i think they closed permanently. My last couple of times in JSQ they were closed.

Quote:
by JC_Livin on 2014/11/30 17:52:15

I love this place, especially their baba ghanoush. My boyfriend, who is usually less than enthusiastic about fish, says this is the best fish he's ever had.
Also try the Afghan kebab place a little closer to JSQ on the other side of JFK. Also delicious, and alcohol is not allowed there either.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I recall a thread here on JCList years ago mentioning Village Voice reviews of two Journal Square area fish restaurants/markets?.Morgan Fish (2801 Kennedy/near Sip) and Suez Canal (117 Tonnele/near Broadway). Suez Canal is now called Marina Seafood Restaurant I don?t know if it is the same owners of Suez.

JC History: In the J Square area we use to get our fresh fish from Winters Seafood on Newark Avenue up by Five Corners? there was also a seafood market down Marion on West Side Avenue. Newark Avenue from Five Corners down to Tonnele Avenue was the place to shop. That long two block stretch had 2 (saw dust on the floor) butchers, 3 bakeries, 2 hardware stores, barbers, 2 full diners, about 4 or 5 old man dive bars, a department store, doctors and dentists, travel agencies, 2 electronic part stores, candy stores, soda fountains, drug stores, and florists. You name it.. it was there. Oh yeah and a typewriter store. (yes I am older) Gee there was even a small A&P Supermarket around the corner on Tonnele.

Morgan Fish is in the beautiful old Sevilla Apartment building. Built in 1925 , 116 units, 14 retail spaces, sold in 2012 for $11.2 million. The corner retail space was an old ice cream parlor called Bill Bailys. One of two J Square head shops was also in the Sevilla retail space. The other one was in the middle of J Square my mind is a little smoky err.. foggy but I think it was called Butterfly. I used to get my black light posters there among other things. Far out man.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 1:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/24 22:03
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/11/30 22:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
the owner (or the person to whom I was transferred) explained that they do not allow alcohol on the premises because of Sharia Law.

Just out of mere curiosity (and nothing more), did the owner use the specific words "Sharia law" with you?

Posted on: 2014/11/30 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Fraulein, you can ask them to sell you the fish raw...it can't hurt asking them.

To Bodhipooh...many muslims who are observant do not drink alcohol nor do any business related to it. So i could understand why they would not even allow a byob service.

Sharia law is something totally different....it would apply on a government/state level.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Stupid question, is this only a restaurant or also a fish market? We need fish desperately downtown.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Please give us a review after you go. I was planning to go a few months ago, but the group I was with wanted to have some drinks and/or wine with our meal. They do not have a liquor license, and when I called to inquire/confirm as to whether we could BYOB, the owner (or the person to whom I was transferred) explained that they do not allow alcohol on the premises because of Sharia Law.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks! I am not expecting fancy decor but good food... The Village Voice says its a must try, so I am ready :)).. I am so looking forward to this. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 15:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The food here is absolutely delicious. If you can roll with the flow of an Egyptian-vibe, you'll be fine (and you'll have fun people watching). If you expect excellent restaurant-type service with all of its American conventions, you'll be disappointed.

As Asif pointed out, be patient - it's worth it.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 1:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

They basically make things from scratch so please be patient. Also, some times depending on the server there maybe a communication problem since English is not the first language spoken.

If you are in a hurry you can order a shrimp sandwich to go.

The food is definitely worth it.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 1:20

Morgan Fish Market & Restaurant
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Headed here tomorrow night, any thing I should know? It looks pretty promising. Thanks in advance for the feed back!

Posted on: 2014/11/30 1:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017