Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Home Rooftop Turbines - Could they Work in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Are there any numbers on ROI wind vs solar in our area? My roof is 45' and seems to get lots of wind.

I was not impressed by the numbers from one of those "let us install solar panels on your roof and you get a discount of ~15%". Nor by 17 year payback, likely close to or exceeding the life of the equipment.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Here's an interesting question.

Given you can put a hard-dollar value on sunlight reaching a property, couldn't you make a claim against an developer blocking that sunlight? Take a case where you could potentially save $2k/year by generating your own electricity from solar. If a new development blocks that light - you might have a strong case for comp from the developer - say $20-40k to forgo the return on the blocked sunlight. Guess you might need to have solar panels installed already.

I've already did a bit of reading on this and there are some rulings - You can object to any new planning that reduces your direct sunlight and request compensation from the developer.

If the local authority still allows the development to proceed that denies or reduces your direct sunlight, you can seek compensation from the city as tax abatements. Cityhall is will no doubt try to negotiate an amicable solution for all parties, as ultimately they will be accountable.

It is possible to get a dollar figure if you lost just a few hours of direct sunlight in the day and the rulings mentioned that it was only applicable to new developments with people formally objecting.

These ruling were not in JC or NJ but in California

Posted on: 2014/6/2 15:49
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Here's an interesting question.

Given you can put a hard-dollar value on sunlight reaching a property, couldn't you make a claim against an developer blocking that sunlight? Take a case where you could potentially save $2k/year by generating your own electricity from solar. If a new development blocks that light - you might have a strong case for comp from the developer - say $20-40k to forgo the return on the blocked sunlight. Guess you might need to have solar panels installed already.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Did it myself, no permits, allow for an area the size of mini fridge in the garage / basement for the battery packs.

There are plenty of solar contractors out there on the internet (google) and it was very easy as a DIY project (But then again I have a construction background and I was done over a week-end a BBQ and a few beers with a friend)

Resized Image

Resized Image

Not only do you get free energy, my nieces, nephews and their friends we very interested in the technology - I often thought of going on tour with a large truck and supplies into rural NJ installing cost-effective units - After doing my own, there is a simple fast cost effective way of installing them and solar equipment is very cheap if you buy direct - You can buy directly from the manufacturers in China and they offer 5 year warranties (Buy a ship containers worth of equipment and the installer will do very well)

Note: If you want to connect into the power grid, you'll need to get permission / permit - But off grid for your own use, knock yourself out.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 0:36
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Absolutely - I have some solar panels that generate enough power

Did you have to pull permits to install?

What about the investment vs. ROI?

What contractor did you use?

Thanks - very interested in learning about this!

Posted on: 2014/6/1 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Absolutely - I have some solar panels that generate enough power to run my fridge / freezer and flat screen tv (I have 3 power outlets that run off the grid and exclusively from the panels)

I've also purchased 3 wind generators that you would see on motor yachts and sailing yachts - I intend to run my hot water system off them.

Do some research and ignore the skeptics - you'll be pleasantly surprised

Resized Image

Resized Image

http://windenergy7.com/turbines/tag/residential-wind-turbines/

Posted on: 2014/6/1 15:18

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2014/6/1 15:46:06

Home Rooftop Turbines - Could they Work in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting story today in the Times of Trenton how a Hightstown man worked with his local zoning/planning board to enact grassroots ordinances allowing a rooftop-sized wind turbine. Combined with solar power, the man claims he produces 65% of his energy needs off the grid. However, the investment will take 14 years to pay off. Food for thought!

Hightstown man wins fight to install rooftop wind turbine on his home
By David Karas/The Times
Link

There was nothing in the borough code allowing it, so it was technically forbidden.

That?s what borough resident Greig Simpson was told when he approached borough officials with the idea of installing a small wind turbine on his home ? an effort to incorporate renewable energy technology on his property.

Undaunted, Simpson began lobbying borough officials and staff to craft an ordinance that would allow him to do just that, attending countless meetings to allay the concerns of officials that the device he had in mind would create any type of noise or disturbance for his neighbors.

Now, two years and many meetings later, Simpson has the technology in place, including a series of solar panels, and there is an ordinance on the books expressly allowing for ? and regulating ? solar and wind energy systems.

?I had been thinking of doing some type of alternative energy for years,? he said. ?I like the idea of wind and solar.?

Simpson did the research, and even found a kit including a small turbine and solar panels. But it was when he purchased the kit that he learned about the code deficiencies. He was essentially faced with two options ? to pursue a zoning variance, or wait for the planning board and borough council to devise an ordinance that would allow and regulate renewable energy devices.

Simpson knew that applying for a zoning waiver would cost him legal fees and other expenses while his device might never be approved.

?I did not want to pay the money to get a zoning variance without any guarantees,? he said. ?That started my almost two-year process of getting this ordinance.?

Councilman Larry Quattrone said the ordinance, a first for the borough, came about because of Simpson?s encouragement.

?We had a resident who wanted to put a wind turbine on his roof, and he went to the planning board with it,? Quattrone said.

Quattrone said the planning board devised regulations that were sent to the council for review and amendments. Once the planning board approved the edits made by the council, it was brought to a vote during a public meeting ? and was enacted in the fall.

?It is a normal process with this type of thing,? he said.

Mike Cerra, director of government affairs for the New Jersey League of Municipalities, said that many jurisdictions across the state are confronting similar legislative questions as green technology gets a grassroots push for adoption.

?This is still somewhat of a new phenomenon,? he said. ?Towns are confronting these issues.?

He said Simpson?s solitary effort to persuade his town to make way for green technology is not typical of the way things happen in local government.

?That long one-on-one process is probably somewhat unique,? he said. But, he added, the ordinance being passed was an example of the legislative system working.

Simpson said many of the concerns expressed by the planning board and council had to do with the appearance of his desired turbine and how noisy it would be. He provided information to the borough, even bringing the turbine to a board meeting at one point to allow it to be inspected.

?They were thinking (of) a big, 100-foot turbine with 20-foot long blades that do make noise and do create visual issues,? Simpson said, noting that his device is a far cry from that level. ?It stands about 8 feet tall on top of my roof.?

The turbine has blades of about 6 feet in diameter, he said. Even when a fairly strong wind is blowing, he said the noise does not exceed that of a dishwasher, a sound often drowned out by the wind itself. Simpson also has his own decibel meter, and has tested to ensure the turbine does not create a disturbance.

Simpson says he has not received any complaints from his neighbors. He also solicited, and received, agreement from each of them before installing the device on his property.

?All of the neighbors were positive about it,? he said.

Between the solar panels and wind turbine, Simpson said he generates about 65 percent of the power he consumes. He noted that Hightstown does not receive the offshore breezes that can truly generate high levels of power.

?As a single energy supply, that is not the thing,? he said. But included in the system are batteries that store energy generated by the turbine and solar panels, which could supply enough power to run lights and other general devices, including a refrigerator, in the event of a power outage, he said.

Simpson anticipates that the system will pay for itself in about 14 years, taking into consideration the cost of the devices themselves, installation and the battery system for his home.

Quattrone praised Simpson?s initiative in seeking the ordinance and the resulting legislation.

?It is going to be an avenue for the future,? Quattrone said. ?I think you are going to see this more often. And I think we are on top of it, and a little ahead of it.?

Posted on: 2014/6/1 14:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017