Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Kitchen Sink Replacement questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I have a Blanco stainless sink with side prep sink. Other than a little barkeepers friend here and there, it's carefree. The Silgranite looks very nice, but there are some comments about hard water and lime stains that make stainless look like a better choice.

Posted on: 2013/12/5 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
I have stainless steel and i have never had any maintenance other than a wet sponge, but that Blanco looks like a very nice sink. If your countertop is laminate you can simply cut out a new hole with a jigsaw as long as it is an over the counter version so that the lip can cover the edge. Does your faucet come through the sink or is it through the counter? Can you post a picture of what you have and also provide the info on the Blanco you are looking at?

Posted on: 2013/12/5 6:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I'm resurrecting this thread.

So - I'm still looking at replacement sinks. Currently we have a Americast cast iron sink, 25x22 inches. I definitely don't want another cast iron (the chipping scared me off). So I want either a stainless steel, but I'm also leaning towards the Blanco Silgranit Diamond sinks (they have one in black, which is the same color as our current sink). The online reviews are generally positive on the Blanco's, and they seem less maintenance than stainless steel?

So - my current question is: do the cutout needed for the new sink has to match exactly to the current sink cut out (you know the cut out on the counter top where the sink "sits" into)? I know for the Blanco sink, the cut out required is bigger than my current Americast cut out, perhaps about 1/2 inch on each side (assuming I'm reading the install guides properly). Does that mean the Blanco is out? Or it is possible to make my current cut out bigger to fit the Blanco?

My counter top is laminate.

Any help much appreciated!

Posted on: 2013/12/5 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Consider the depth of the new sink too. You might have to change the drain / trap if they don't match up.

Don't get a laminate counter.

In my experience the old sinks are deep, and the traps nearly at the bottom of the cabinet, much lower than today's typical 18" convention for the trap arm. An extension of the vertical tube is most likely if anything, unless the trap is still old metal pipe that can't be adjusted for a changed drain hole location, in which case all bets are off unless it's within range of one of those flexi tubes.

SRhia, can you post pics of your countertop and under your sink?

Posted on: 2013/8/21 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Consider the depth of the new sink too. You might have to change the drain / trap if they don't match up.

Don't get a laminate counter.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 4:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Dropping in a new sink is relatively easy if you have a few tools. If you need to enlarge the hole you'll need a jigsaw. Measure the sink, compare to new SS sinks. even if the rim on cast iron is wide you probably don't want to expose the counter that's been under, if it's laminate it's probably stained.

You should seriously consider your counter at this point. If it's as old as the sink, maybe it's day is done too. Much as I dislike them, the prefab laminate counters at the Depot are cheap and easy if it's a simple straight counter. I've never done the corners but I'm suspicious. Or if you're really intrepid, you can cover the laminate with granite tile! A bad job would still probably look better than old beat up laminate.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 4:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
There are some variables that can make a simple change complicated. Getting a sink of the same dimensions is one of them. The other is how the faucet is currently installed. You may have to consider getting a slightly larger sink and having some of the counter cut back.

If you are hard set on going SS I would recommend going to a kitchen specialty place like Ferguson with photos and accurate measurements of the current sink and the counter cutout. They can help you figure out what sink would possibly fit and do the instal. If you don't like what they offer it doesn't cost you anything to go in and have them investigate your options.

Another option to think about is getting your cast iron sink refurbished. If you like the sink it can be removed, repaired and refinished. Consider the idea of picking any color you would like.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 2:15

Kitchen Sink Replacement questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
My cast iron enamel kitchen sink is on it's last days and I'm buying a stainless steel to replace it. The one I have right now is topmount (the edges of the sink sits on top of my kitchen counter).

My question is:
- can I just buy another one off the shelf that matches the dimensions of my current sink? (e.g. if I buy a sink off the shelf, are there specific "things" that the new one needs to match the old one, besides the dimensions?)

- it is easy replacement, or complicated? Can a handyman do it, or should I get a "contractor" to do it?

- I assume I don't need to replace my counter? I've looked at the bottom of the sink from inside the cabinet underneath, and I see that there are "white stuff" around the edges - not sure if that's glue, or extra caulk. I'm not sure how easy / damaging it is to get the current sink off.

Any advise would be appreciated - new homeowner here, and really new to all these stuff. I hope all my "technical terms" makes sense to you.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 23:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017