Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: What does this parking sign mean? I am new to town.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Beware parking near corners, even if you are legally parked. I park my car in the morning after the sweeper comes through. I'm usually the first car to park so I park right behind the sign that says "No parking" with the arrow pointing to the red zone through the corner.

I got a ticket for "no parking or standing." There were no "No parking" signs (the ones people get from the parking authority for moving, etc) and I was no where near the red zone.

Hmmm, lose a day's pay to fight a $42 parking ticket? Bravo Jersey City. Bravo.

You would have been fine if you had a Fraternal Order of Police license plate like the douche on my block. I guess the upside is he and his wife never take one of the legal spots so more spaces for the neighbors. To the OP: It's very important that you not take two spots. I have neighbors that feel they need to be DIRECTLY in front of their homes and often leave way too much space between cars. One neighbor always parks like that and is usually the first car to grab a spot. I always pull my car right up to their bumper making sure to economize on space.

Exactly! I take that first spot so people can park behind me. A woman parked behind me but left a good 4 ft behind my car. I encouraged her to move up behind my car. She looked at me incredulously and said, "but I won't be parked in front of my house."

Posted on: 2013/5/25 8:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Beware parking near corners, even if you are legally parked. I park my car in the morning after the sweeper comes through. I'm usually the first car to park so I park right behind the sign that says "No parking" with the arrow pointing to the red zone through the corner.

I got a ticket for "no parking or standing." There were no "No parking" signs (the ones people get from the parking authority for moving, etc) and I was no where near the red zone.

You would have been fine if you had a Fraternal Order of Police license plate like the douche on my block. I guess the upside is he and his wife never take one of the legal spots so more spaces for the neighbors. To the OP: It's very important that you not take two spots. I have neighbors that feel they need to be DIRECTLY in front of their homes and often leave way too much space between cars. One neighbor always parks like that and is usually the first car to grab a spot. I always pull my car right up to their bumper making sure to economize on space.

Posted on: 2013/5/25 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/25 4:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/2 2:24
Group:
Registered Users
That parking sign means nothing: I got a parking ticket on that very corner at about 5:20PM on a weeknight with my daughter sitting in the car!:( She told me a van pulled up (yes, a VAN) and a non-uniformed guy ran out, slipped a ticket under the wiper, then ran back into the van and took off! My car was legally parked, and I happened to be walking our dog at the time of the ticketing. I never understood it, but there's lots I don't understand about my city. Being a "lifer", however, has taught me surrender. The system is larger than I am.

Posted on: 2013/5/25 4:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Clearly one one of the most ambiguous parking sign I've ever seen - it requires a crystal-ball to work out a street sweeper enters into the equation.

The top red part is clear - NO PARKING 8am-10am MON-THURS

The middle green part is clear - 2 HR PARKING 8am-5pm MON-FRI

The bottom red part is clear - TOW-AWAY ZONE ANY VEHICLES WITHOUT ZONE 1 PERMIT PARKED IN ZONE OVER 2 HOURS

The top and middle messages on the sign contradict themselves (No parking v's 2 HR parking between the hours of 8am and !0 am)

SOLUTION:

The top red part should read NO PARKING (STREET SWEEPER) 8am-10am MON-THURS

The middle green part should read 2 HR PARKING 10am- 5pm MON-THURS 8am-5pm FRI

The bottom red part should read TOW AWAY ZONE EXCEEDING 2 HRS (ZONE 1 PERMIT HOLDERS EXEMPT) 8am-5pm MON-FRI

If the parking officers use discretion and not issue tickets once the street sweeper is gone through then fine, but the signs must be clear in their message for any motorist to understand and comply.

Posted on: 2013/5/25 2:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/29 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, that's what I hoped

Posted on: 2013/5/25 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
The No Parking between 8-10 a.m. on Mondays and Thursdays is for street sweeping - and it applies to everybody, regardless of whether you have a parking permit for the zone. Once the sweeper moves through the street, you can park there, even if it's not yet 10 a.m. The sweeper is usually pretty consistent on when he moves through a particular block. It's not unusual to see cars idling on the street waiting for the sweeper to move through so they can nab a parking spot.

EDIT: Also, the two-hour limit for those without zone permits is aimed at preventing people who live outside of JC from using the streets as free a park-and-ride for commuting into the city. The closer the street is to a PATH station, the more aggressive the zone permit enforcement.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
This sign means:

Nobody can park here 8-10am Monday & Thursday.

Anybody can park here from 8-5 Monday through Friday, but people without the proper zone permit can only park in this ZONE (not space) for 2 hours.

Basically, in downtown Jersey City if it's a Saturday or Sunday, or if it's a weekday between 5 pm and 8 am, you're ok to park.

The zone thing is VERY unevenly enforced; in some places they ticket for it, in some places (e.g., Brunswick st area) they almost never do.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 22:45

What does this parking sign mean? I am new to town.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/29 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen signs like this around the downtown area: http://i.imgur.com/DIFneIB.jpg. Does the 2 hour parking 8 am to 5 pm Mon-Fri apply to vehicles with that zone's zone permit? The sign makes me think that it does. Please help! Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 22:38

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017