Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Political Insider: Black leaders fear life under a Downtown mayor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
The statement as to mass transit is more accurate. Lafayette has the LSP light rail stop, but it's all the way at the end of the neighborhood. Greenville has a couple of light rail stops. West Bergen is probably the most isolated although there is regular bus service.

One could argue another big difference between Brooklyn and JC's further wards is the number of fares it takes to get into Manhattan. If you took a bus to the HBLR to the PATH, that's a lot of money every day. We need a single multimodal transit fare zone here, but the balkanized local transit would never let it happen, no one would sign off on losing revenue even though the city and county would win economically.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
yes there are SOME beautiful houses in those areas but in Bed-Stuy, Fort Green there are many more...even more than Downtown or dare I say Hoboken. Plus you have access to the SUBWAY and don't mention nice parks and a waterfront.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
And now Fulop doesn't even want anyone to develop "affordable housing" outside Downtown! Will the injustice never cease?

Posted on: 2012/6/14 20:26
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Is this topic popular again? Get over it. Bergen Lafayette, West Bergen and Greenville lack the beautiful houses, conevenient mass transit that you get in Fort Green, Lefferts or Bedford Stuyvesant.

Lafayette has some of the most beautiful blocks in the city. West Bergen has some majestic houses. Greenville varies from block to block but there are plenty of great blocks there.

Bergen Hill was originally a historic district. West Bergen would be eligible if it were sought.

The statement as to mass transit is more accurate. Lafayette has the LSP light rail stop, but it's all the way at the end of the neighborhood. Greenville has a couple of light rail stops. West Bergen is probably the most isolated although there is regular bus service.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Is this topic popular again? Get over it. Bergen Lafayette, West Bergen and Greenville lack the beautiful houses, conevenient mass transit that you get in Fort Green, Lefferts or Bedford Stuyvesant.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

Tyler wrote:
Greenville, West Bergen, & Bergen Lafayette are sick of the over development of downtown areas and no development else where. I hear black folks say constantly here where are the jobs? why is there not one decent supermarket in the area? why are there no policeman in this community?
yawn... get over it!

Most of the community residing in these sections don't even own the property they live in, I doubt if they even vote.

Posted on: 2012/6/14 15:12
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tyler wrote:
Greenville, West Bergen, & Bergen Lafayette are sick of the over development of downtown areas and no development else where. I hear black folks say constantly here where are the jobs? why is there not one decent supermarket in the area? why are there no policeman in this community?

yawn... get over it!

Posted on: 2012/6/14 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Bruce Alston? What kind of a "leader" is he? http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... te_assembly_candidat.html

I don't think it's a coincidence that this "leadership" moment is coming at the same time the JCIA/DPW merger is being considered. Survival of the JCIA is essential to the Cunningham power base - many of the higher ranking folks in that agency are her people; all the Dabneys, Dublin, et al. Fulop is for eliminating the JCIA - which is the more efficient and cost-effective option. The more he goes after things like the JCIA, the JCPA, free health care for family, er board members who work six hours a year, abuse of city-provided cars, the louder the squawking is by those who have been benefiting.

Yup, I noticed that too. The timing of this "article" is interesting. I am not entirely sure of the substance of the complaint here. . . .

Posted on: 2012/4/10 11:31
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Any "seniors" in Greenville will be dead before they are pushed out by gentrification.

Second, when the revaluation goes through, property taxes outside the downtown will fall, with exceptions possibly made for Journal Square.

Its mostly irrelevant how residents feel about development. If the market forces determine an area is ripe for development, the money will follow and there is very little little anyone living there can do about it. Luckily for them, they have nothing to worry about.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 4:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ha!

Posted on: 2012/4/10 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
^^

dude, learn punctuation and line spacing, you're killing me.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Lets stay on point, most of the Greenville section fears development, as of now most home owner here are seniors who purchased their homes in the late 60's early 70's and pay approx 4k in taxes the other property owners are slum lords who rent out section 8 housing these two groups are against development for the fear of their taxes going through the roof. There are a few new comers to the area that embrace development, Lots of Realtor's and developers have all been eyeing the vacant buildings on Ocean and the surrounding areas next to the Richard and Danforth lightrail and replace them with condo's and thriving businesses which means the dynamics of that section of Greenville will change but most feel it will not change for the better it will force them out, like it force many people out of the downtown area. So therefore most black & white senior home owners in this section of Greenville fear Fulop because this section is where developers have shown the most interest. Its near liberty state park, the golf course and port liberty is right behind it. They have already started speculating condo's near the Garfield lightrail where the chrome clean up is now taking place with those spectacular views of NYC.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
IMO, Bergen Lafayette and West Bergen probably have more in common with East New York than Harlem, etc.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think the error is in comparing Bergen-lafayette and West Bergen to Harlem, Fort Greene, Bushwick, etc. There are simply different dynamics in play.

Perhaps BL and West Bergen will gentrify some day but it will be a long, long time b4 they do. It is not inevitable that BL or West Bergen will follow the same path as those areas of NYC that have gentrified.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
and for the most part have already begun to gentrify.

Yes, that's my entire point.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is hilarious. I am all for development in those areas....but for many, safety is a major concern; the schools are not all that; transportation can be a problem and the housing stock is underwhelming. Until the safety is at least addressed - I don't see any large scale development in those areas.

I was walking around Garfield Avenue a few weeks ago around the evening and too many people standing around doing nothing useful

Posted on: 2012/4/9 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
The logic that Hero is using is hilarious. By his logic, Harlem, Fort Greene, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, etc, etc, etc, will never get developed.

Remember, crime filled neighborhoods will never change and there's no reason to ever do anything for them.

All of those neighborhoods have one train subway access to Manhattan, and for the most part have already begun to gentrify. Fort Greene, Williamsburg and Harlem (westside) are already far more expensive than downtown Jersey City.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 19:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 18:52
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
@ Hero I work mostly from home so I do not need to go to Manhattan daily, and when I do go into the city it takes me 20 min from the Richard LR to the Ex PL path, So I do not understand your argument that its not accessible to Manhattan. Your argument would have more weight if you said you did not want to live among certain people, but don't use transportation because it just isn't true.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The bottom line is that there is still plenty of property to develop downtown, and while the next boom cycle might eat up a lot of this land, there is plenty yet to feed the development monster.

The next neighborhoods that will see significant redevelopment are the areas around Journal Square, because of access to the PATH, the areas around McGinley Square, because of access to the PATH by way of a safe corridor through Journal Square, and Bergen Lafayatte because of the proximity to the downtown, provided the areas in between are made safe.

Without deeper light rail access in the heights (such as say, an extension through the Bergen Arches) the neighborhood is going to continue to languish. The West Side will get a boost if the JCU campus and light rail extension project goes through. But all that is decades away.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 19:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The logic that Hero is using is hilarious.

haha! Exactly when I first got downtown it was 1991 and it was 80% Latino and had a history of gang activity. I barley see Latinos living downtown, they all seemed to have moved to Union City. So neighborhoods change with development. What is Hero afraid of? too funny! I guess people who thought like Hero only buy or invest when the neighborhood is already developed at top $$$.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
All of those areas have convenient access to Manhattan - Harlem is even in Manhattan. Fort Greene, Bed-Stuy and Harlem have beautiful brownstones - there aren't that many in Bergan-Lafayette and West Bergen.

I am not one of those people who believe that I am always right, and the other person is always wrong. I would be happy to see those areas of JC prosper but imo they lack the ingredients.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
The logic that Hero is using is hilarious. By his logic, Harlem, Fort Greene, Williamsburg, Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, etc, etc, etc, will never get developed.

Remember, crime filled neighborhoods will never change and there's no reason to ever do anything for them.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
At least until the downtown area fills in more there is always going to be a relative 'over development' of Downtown vs the rest of the city, it is simply a more attractive area for developers. That doesn't mean a whole lot more can't be done in the other wards, but the tension will continue to exist.

What would be nice, and what is supposed to be coming, is that when some new buildings go up in downtown the improvements to infrastructure etc that are required of developers can occur in another ward. This is part of the transfer of development rights that the city s working on. Hopefully the city can stick to its guns on that.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, good point, but i think your citing Port Liberte and Society Hill supports my view that developers will just develop around the crime-ridden sections of Jersey City if possible. True, Greenville is huge and has some nice pockets but there is still the fear factor.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I am saying that the reality is no one is going to invest a lot of money in Greenville,

wow, really? I guess Port Liberty, Society Hill, sales & Liberty Golf course membership is not reality... Developers have been looking at Greenville for a while most do not realize how huge Greenville is, Greenville is not just the MLK hub. Look at a map, Greenville is bigger than you think with lots of potential, with quite a few lightrail stations. None the less this race for Mayor should be interesting.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I never said they should be ignored. I actually think the Heights (close to Hoboken, light rail, buses into Port Authority) has a lot of potential. I am saying that the reality is no one is going to invest a lot of money in Greenville, West Bergen, lafayette because convenient access to Manhattan is lacking and there is just TOOOOOOOO much crime in those areas...they're almost as bad as Newark if not worse.

About the only development those areas will see is new projects imo. And don't get me wrong, there are some beautiful houses in those areas..but safety trumps other considerations imo.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 17:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
It doesn't matter what I or Fulop thinks...Manhattan is the magnet and transportation into Manhattan is not that great and crime is simply out of control. Yes, crime is a problem everywhere but we all know where most of the crime is concentrated.

So according to your logic The Heights, West Bergen, Greenville, BL should be ignored because there is no way for newbies to get to Manhattan? Give me a break, Allot of people do not work in Manhattan, they work right here in N.J. Some JC residents were born here, and watched their neighborhoods go down because of shady politicians. Like the earlier post said DTJC was not always a gem it was a disgusting place that most of you would not even consider living back in the late 80's early 90's. I am on the fence regarding Fulop, I really would prefer some new blood. Right now most of the whites and blacks in Greenville are skeptical of Fulop.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It doesn't matter what I or Fulop thinks...Manhattan is the magnet and transportation into Manhattan is not that great and crime is simply out of control. Yes, crime is a problem everywhere but we all know where most of the crime is concentrated.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Interesting article, but the main reasons some of the other parts of JC suffer is lack of convenient transportation into Manhattan and the criminal aspect of those neighborhoods. There are many fine, hard working people in Greenville, etc. but at the end of the day, would you really want to spend a lot of money where you have to be constantly on guard.

LOL well lets hope Fulop does not think like you.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 16:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Interesting article, but the main reasons some of the other parts of JC suffer is lack of convenient transportation into Manhattan and the criminal aspect of those neighborhoods. There are many fine, hard working people in Greenville, etc. but at the end of the day, would you really want to spend a lot of money where you have to be constantly on guard.

When I first purchased my first apt downtown in the early 90's it was also considered a shit hole and the entire area smelled of toxic waist, but we were pioneers and help to change the area. As far as transportation I am 2 minutes walk from the lightrail and most of the residence of this neighborhood are working class people. Crime does not discriminate in JC its all over, I actually got my car broken into twice when I lived downtown. If you are walking around downtown with your guard down your a bigger fool then most.

Posted on: 2012/4/9 15:59

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017