Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Need to get a car towed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned
this happened to me when I was a homeowner in weehawken.I broke into the car,put it in neutral,and pushed it into the middle of the street blocking traffic in both directions.nice big fat toolbox in the trunk,new 14 inch spare,bag of charcoal,oversize sizzor jack,sawzall,etc.the guy got locked up in mexico,he finally returned a few months later looking for his car,...yo no sabe nada.bad luck for the dude,the charcoal was no good,absorbed too much moisture.the moral of this story....dont keep charcoal in the trunk of your car and dont get locked up in mexico cause you could be there for a while

Posted on: 2012/1/14 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Any chance that you can carry the car on your back to the Shop Rite parking lot ~ then casually walk across the street to Newport Mall? It'll be towed by the time your toe touches the crosswalk on Sixth Street.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. Good luck getting the car removed.

Posted on: 2012/1/14 2:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/15 23:01
Group:
Registered Users
If a car is parked on private property and it does not belong to the owner of the property, the owner of said property can have it towed .JCPD and the parking authority cannot have the vehicle towed,since it is on private property.Most tow companies will tow it for example you can try any of the following tow companies,logan, my-way,nj towing,truchan bros, etc. You can also have either the parking authority or the police department respond and issue a summons for parking on private property(39:4-56) .The towing company will then notify the owner of vehicle that they have the vehicle and what the cost is to retrieve it. If the car is not claimed within a certain amount of time ( i believe between 30 and 60 days) the tow company has the right to have the vehicle titled over to them and can either sell the vehicle,or do what they want with it.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Wow.. thanks.. I will review it over the weekend. Hopefully I can get rid of this car by Tuesday.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Okay - did a little more digging and discovered you're getting the run-around by those who don't know their own municipal code. Geez.

Follow this link:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/1609 ... _ARTXIMBOVE.html#TOPTITLE

This is a copy of the entire JC municipal code - interesting read (sorry, I'm such a nerd).

Go to CHAPTER 332 (Vehicles and Traffic)/Article 10 (Impounding & Booting Vehicles)/Subsections 332-72 through 331-77.

It clearly states that if the vehicle is on YOUR property for more than 48 hours WITHOUT your permission (presuming you own the property), then the vehicle is considered abandoned. The law further states that the police cannot be held liable for towing the vehicle. They have to get rid of the vehicle if I interpreted the code correctly.

Good luck with this!

Posted on: 2012/1/13 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Here are some NJ statute suggestions for you to review

http://www.lawrev.state.nj.us/rpts/lost.pdf

This provides some statute directions as to the legal definition of abandoned property - also refer to the NJSA numbers for links to laws regarding abandoned vehicles.

Randolph NJ has a law on its books regarding abandoned vehicles on private property:

http://www.randolphnj.org/police/abandoned_vehicles/

This is interesting in that it speaks to the danger to children who may play near/or in abandoned vehicles - even on private property (remember that case a few years ago when three children were killed in the trunk of a junk car?) I would have to think that JC has a law like this. This may be an angle to emphasize when reporting the car in to the Parking Authority.

Here is the link to report the abandoned car to the JC parking authority. I would start here to CYA - and keep a record of your submission:

http://mygovhelp.com/jerseycitynj/_cs ... n.aspx?ssessionid=&rqst=1

Good luck and let us know how it works out! Interesting predicament.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 23:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
This happened to my brother in TN and here were the two best suggestions (ultimately, the tenant ended up dealing just in time, so I have no idea how/if they work):

1) Get a notarized letter releasing the city from liability and have them tow it (this may or may not be applicable to JC/NJ - your lawyer may know). They will then go after the registered owner for towing and storage fees.

2) Have it towed into the street and then let the city deal with it as an abandoned vehicle. (This one kind of cracks me up and I have no idea if there's any way it could get you in trouble. If you have to go this route, I hope you can at least take the cost of the tow out of the security deposit.)

Posted on: 2012/1/13 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
What's wrong with the obvious solution of pushing it out into the street and letting the city ticket and ultimately tow it?

I don't have 6 people and I don't have a key, so the steering wheel is locked in place. I could take a sawsall to it, cut it up into little pieces, and take it down to the scrap yard.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
What's wrong with the obvious solution of pushing it out into the street and letting the city ticket and ultimately tow it?

Six guys and you will be able to manhandle it a short distance, even if it has the parking brake on.

Robin.

If you can push it to the Shoprite lot it's guaranteed to be gone in minutes. E-Z does it!!!

Posted on: 2012/1/13 20:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Six guys and you will be able to manhandle it a short distance, even if it has the parking brake on.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Chama wrote:
Call the JC Parking Authoritiy, 201-653-6969 and report the issue with the abandoned car. They helped us tow a car that was blocking our garage entrance.

Last time I called them (was a few years ago) with an abandoned car (same lot) they wouldn't touch it unless the car was parked on the street. Once it's 100% on private property, they won't deal with it.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 19:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/8 23:34
From The Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Call the JC Parking Authoritiy, 201-653-6969 and report the issue with the abandoned car. They helped us tow a car that was blocking our garage entrance.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 18:59

Need to get a car towed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have a car from a now evicted tenant that has been abandoned in an off-street parking area at an apartment I own.

Having a bit of trouble finding a towing company willing to tow it (liability reasons cited or they don't have a storage yard). Anyone here recommend a tow company that might be able to help me out.

note: Checked with my lawyer.. it's legal for me to have the car removed from the property.

Posted on: 2012/1/13 18:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017