Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
149 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Show respect, new Jersey City school board members, writes letter author
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

facials11 wrote:
I am baffled and none of you people seem to get it. This event was NOT a political event.

Ms. Pagano apparently is trying and succeeding in diverting attention from the true purpose of this function.. I repeat this was not about Dr. Epps, Healy, Steve Fulop, or any of the board members.

Did Ms. Pagano really attend? And if she did, was it with an open mind or with solutions as Mr. Waterman challenged everyone to bring?

What I and many others saw at this forum were several concerned people, including politicians (though they left too early) come together for the purpose of brainstorming education solutions for the children of JC.

There was even a little Q&A afterwards.

For anyone to see different, they must have come in with rose colored glasses. Always one in the bunch, I guess.

When you throw around comments like "I am baffled and none of you people seem to get it" - you come across as condescending, arrogant and dismissive. Ms Pagano's comments were a little disjointed and may not have represented a fair and accurate record of the meeting. Her points were fairly clear - there are people who support Dr Epps, and if the new BOE members go out to trample him, they're trampling people who support him.

I don't necessarily agree with that view. But I hear it.

Posted on: 2011/7/10 3:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/1 17:19
Group:
Registered Users
I am baffled and none of you people seem to get it. This event was NOT a political event.

Ms. Pagano apparently is trying and succeeding in diverting attention from the true purpose of this function.. I repeat this was not about Dr. Epps, Healy, Steve Fulop, or any of the board members.

Did Ms. Pagano really attend? And if she did, was it with an open mind or with solutions as Mr. Waterman challenged everyone to bring?

What I and many others saw at this forum were several concerned people, including politicians (though they left too early) come together for the purpose of brainstorming education solutions for the children of JC.

There was even a little Q&A afterwards.

For anyone to see different, they must have come in with rose colored glasses. Always one in the bunch, I guess.

Posted on: 2011/7/9 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I wasn't sure whether the letter writer was reporting on the meeting, the BOE election or the future. It seemed to be a rather disjointed set of comments.

I think I got the point that the writer thought Epps was a good guy and deserves respect. And that the new BOE members needed to show a little more respect for the incumbent BOE members.

For the pols good points. Just because you have won an election, doesn't mean that you've won over the hearts and minds of all the people. You may have been elected on an anti-Epps ticket. That doesn't mean you can just vote the guy out. You need to continue to get across your message to those folks that may not know you, and build a consensus for action.

Posted on: 2011/7/9 3:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/25 1:38
Group:
Registered Users
I am no fan of Mr. Fulops or those he backed in the school board election. But I must admit that the education forum was no political rally for Mr. Fulop or anyone else.
I appreciate that someone on the board is taking education serious enough to try and do something about it.

Rather than criticize a great idea, join in and help find solutions.

The author (Jeannie Pagano) is apparently a wacko and wants more of the status quo

Posted on: 2011/7/8 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Here's the key line: "I've heard that one board member spends all day, in and out of school buildings, shaking hands and smiling campaign-style, collecting complaints and tattle-tales from disgruntled employees." Message is that BOE should go back to being a silent rubber stamp for Epps & his cronies, not actually spending time in schools and finding out first hand what's really going on.

Fauxboken, I don't know that "Most know he [Epps] has done a poor job." If he was half as good at running the system as he was at playing the political game, we'd be cheering our high achieving schools rather than having this discussion.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 17:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/18 3:16
Group:
Registered Users
Blah.

"Show me some goddamned respect" is just a codeword for saying "stop showing everyone what a fool I am."

Those who earn respect are respected. Those who give respect, get respect.

Respect is earned not by mere seniority or term in office, but by good performance and sincerity.

At this point, Epps is halfway out the door and everyone knows it. Most know he has done a poor job.

The people who are actually interested in oversight of the school board owe Epps and other cronies little in terms of respect.

They're dead wood set adrift, yet they cling like barnacles.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 16:48

Show respect, new Jersey City school board members, writes letter author
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/16 1:09
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... ect_new_school_board.html

Show respect, new Jersey City school board members, writes letter author
Published: Friday, July 08, 2011, 6:12 AM
By Letters to the Editor/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City Superintendent of Schools Charles T. Epps Jr.
On the evening of June 21, 2011, I attended an Education Forum held by members of the Jersey City Board of Education at School 7. Invitations were sent to parents, elected officials, the superintendent, teachers, staff, union representatives and the public. We were told over and over by the board president, Mr. Waterman, that there was to be no blame or finger pointing, this was strictly an event where the community could join together for the betterment of children of Jersey City.
Interesting, because that is not the impression one walked away from this meeting with.
Mayor Healy, Superintendent Epps, the JCEA union president and elected officials were there. The only board members I saw were Mr. Waterman, Ms. Lester and Ms. Harrison-Arnold; all three seemed ill-prepared for the many concerns and questions from parents. The only councilman there was Mr. Fulop from Downtown -- he said city government needs to combine resources with the Board of Education; he left before the guest speakers and questions/answers. One of the board's guest speakers spoke about accountability, but there were no names, no finger pointing. He also announced there would be an event Sunday that Mr. Fulop would be at and we should all attend. Ms. Lester introduced Dan Levin in the audience, a former mayoral candidate from Downtown. Another speaker spoke about charter schools; Ms. Lester and Ms. Arnold's backgrounds are in this field. There was certainly a lot of back-patting for themselves and each other by the three board members. While I do enjoy a political rally, this was not what I was expecting.
I have attended many board meetings and it is clear that these new board members show no respect for their fellow trustees and Dr. Epps. During Ms. Arnold's campaign she said, "I think with dialog as opposed to a hammer, we can work together to find common ground." However, on election night, her victory speech was "Dr. Epps, you're out!" Is this what she considers "working together" or is it "my way or the highway?" They are sending the wrong message -- longtime residents are made to feel we are all unethical and stupid. Not everyone is fooled, though. Let us remember that Downtown is but one section of our large, beautiful city, all with active, voting, concerned citizens. One parent got up and said there is a lack of respect in the schools for one another, and how she sees the same thing with the board of trustees. They need to stop trying to outshine each other at meetings and public forums, and unite with their fellow members and Dr. Epps for their goals. I told Mr. Waterman that evening there is a lot to be said for real experience -- don't be so quick to kick the longtime leaders, teachers to the curb, they will teach you a lot about this community.
I've heard that one board member spends all day, in and out of school buildings, shaking hands and smiling campaign-style, collecting complaints and tattle-tales from disgruntled employees. Others want to run the whole show. Let them be reminded that there is a Middle States commission that accredits the schools and mandates there be no interference in the daily operations of the superintendent running the schools.
I didn't see any Jersey Journal coverage on this Education Forum and thought I would share my take. Just my opinion.
God bless you, Dr. Epps and the children of the Jersey City public schools.

JEANNIE PAGANO
JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2011/7/8 16:41

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017