Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City City Council awards $3.2 million contract to former BA's reval company
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
12012 ok I think I read that the company already started it?s work maybe back office stuff not the inspections.

I found this on the jersey city independent site ?interesting I thought there were way more properties in JC.

?We did a lot of analysis before we submitted our bid,? he said. ?Out of 51,000 properties, about 14,000 are condos, and many of those ? if not most ? are long-term tax-abated.?

?It?s not that you don?t apprise those, but it doesn?t require the same amount of expense on staffing on our part for inspections,? he explained further. ?It is [our knowledge of the] condos and townhouses in Jersey City that enabled us to hone in on a lower bid process.?

Full jc independent piece?

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... get-3-2m-reval-contract/#

Posted on: 2011/3/23 13:31

Re: Jersey City City Council awards $3.2 million contract to former BA's reval company

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/23 11:42
Group:
Registered Users
thanks neverleft. i saw that pdf on JC's website, but since it says the revals start in Nov. 2010 and they didn't award the contract til Feb 2011 I thought it was old info. I was looking for some infor that was more current.

Posted on: 2011/3/23 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
people go to suburbs for schools and safety, not exactly JC strengths.

You can't have suburb-like taxes with lousy schools and high crime rates/quality of life issues. It would be far more tolerable if the taxes were about half of their current level...

Posted on: 2011/3/23 0:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
mfadam wrote:
Downtown, do you hear prop taxes north of 15K on $1mm brownstones?

People in the suburbs are paying that on houses in the $500k to $600k range.

Posted on: 2011/3/22 22:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

This is the web site of the firm?they do a lot of work in NJ.

http://www.realtyappraisal.net/

If you follow the below path you get to a sample contract.

-> SERVICES -> Sample Contract -> Download

In the DEFENSE piece it just sounds like the home owner won?t have a chance in an appeal. The home owner will be going against the current JC Tax Assessor and (probably) the ex- JC Tax Assessor. A no win situation. At least if the reval guy didn?t know JC you could maybe BS him. And what?s up with the $100 an hour fee? Everyone in the city will probably appeal, that would mean bit bucks for someone.

Posted on: 2011/3/22 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Property Revaluation - An Overview and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/tax_assessment.aspx?id=6312

Key Dates

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... 0page%20photo%20print.pdf

Posted on: 2011/3/22 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
the maching/cronyism never cease to amaze me. But hey I'm sure these guys are the most qualified to manage the reval objectively... Downtown, do you hear prop taxes north of 15K on $1mm brownstones?

Posted on: 2011/3/22 19:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/23 11:42
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know when the reval inspectors begin inspecting homes?

Posted on: 2011/3/22 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I ain?t no lawyer but? if someone got a reval that they thought was too high couldn?t they contest it saying the reval company had a former JC TAX ASSESSOR working for them? Couldn?t they argue that a former TAX ASSESSOR would have an inside knowledge of what the city thought properties should be revaluated at? Maybe rating them higher so the JC gets more needed tax money.

Can?t wait to see the reval number?s of the JC politicos.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 14:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
The bidding process itself is now very suspect. As well, one has to ask about the quality of work that can be provided by a company whose bid was so far under the next lowest bid. I hope the other bidders start asking questions.

Is O'Reilly working from home? Because WNY is indeed a further commute from his home.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 14:20

Jersey City City Council awards $3.2 million contract to former BA's reval company
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City City Council awards $3.2 million contract to former BA's reval company

Published: Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 9:03 PM
Updated: Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 9:05 PM

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

The Jersey City City Council voted tonight to award a $3.2 million contract to a tax appraisal company that employs Brian O'Reilly, the city's former business administrator.

Realty Appraisal Co. of West New York received the OK from the council to perform the upcoming citywide property revaluation, the city's first since 1988. The company had submitted the lowest of four bids.

City code forbids city employees from receiving, for one year after leaving the city, compensation from any entity in relation to projects with which the employee was directly involved.

But the city's legal department told the council there was no conflict of interest in awarding the contract to Realty Appraisal. Corporation Counsel William Matsikoudis said in a memo he is convinced, after speaking to city financial officials, that O'Reilly was not involved in any discussions of the reval in his last year of city employment.

The council awarded the contract 5-2-0, with council members Steven Fulop and Nidia Lopez voting "no." Councilwoman Viola Richardson was absent.

Fulop raised concerns about O'Reilly's employment with the company, saying he's not convinced by the legal department's opinion that there is no conflict of interest.

"From my viewpoint on the legalities, it's concerning," Fulop said. "But this council is going to do what this council wants to do, unfortunately."

Defending the council's decision, Council President Peter Brennan cited the legal department's opinion that O'Reilly, also formerly the city's tax assessor, had no involvement with the city's reval process during his time with the city.

Besides, Brennan said, Realty Appraisal's bid, which came in far under the next highest of the four bids, means a "savings of $2 million" for taxpayers.
And O'Reilly's employment with the company doesn't hurt, Brennan said.

"If anybody knows Jersey City, it's going to be Brian O'Reilly," he said.

JJ piece

So as the BA of the JC he knew nothing about the coming revaluation that?s been talked about for years. It was probably even talked about when O?Reilly was the TAX ASSESSOR of Jersey City! How much do you want to bet that before the reval is finished JC will need to come up with maybe $2 million so Realty Appraisal Co can finish the job.

Didn?t O?Rielly resign because he wanted to get a job closer to his home down south NJ? WNY really?? Something smells.

Posted on: 2011/2/10 14:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017