Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: LOCAL TEACHER'S DOCUMENTARY SCREENING

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/6 14:49
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
The Star Ledger article is online now Film Looks Over the Rainbows

the screening on Friday will be in HD easy to get to from JC by car or train.

Posted on: 2009/10/8 13:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks BM and GP!

Check out today's Star Ledger for a nicely done article by our very own Van Vorst resident Jennifer Weiss.

Screening is 7PM Sunday full details on www.WeLoveYouFilm.com

Posted on: 2009/10/2 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a nice three page article - and links to trailer

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/articl ... +footsteps+as+a+filmmaker

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/articl ... tary++annual+freedom+fest

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/articl ... ching+as+his+true+calling

==================
Jonathan Kalafer successfully following in father's footsteps as a filmmaker

BY BOB MAKIN ? STAFF WRITER ? SEPTEMBER 24, 2009

CENTRAL JERSEY ? Steve Kalafer has been nominated for three Academy Awards.

He owns a champion minor-league baseball team and a chain of profitable auto dealerships.

But none of those successes bring Kalafer as much joy as seeing his son Jonathan, 34, succeed as both a teacher and a filmmaker.

"I have been in his classroom," Kalafer said. "To watch the way these students look at their teacher, who happens to be our son, the experience was surreal and one of the most fulfilling in my life ... I had tears of joy."

RELATED:

Filmmaker Jonathan Kalafer points to teaching as his true calling

Q&A: Kalafers talk documentary, annual freedom fest
About filmmaking, he added, "Jonathan obviously knows me very well, so he knows what I expect. That makes our processes run a lot more smoothly. It also makes any success that we have together that much sweeter. The real benefit is enjoying it with my son."

An English teacher at Dickinson High School in Jersey City, Jonathan Kalafer considers filmmaking an extension of teaching.

On Sunday, Oct. 4, he will return to his alma mater, Rutgers University, to screen and discuss a film he co-produced with his dad, as well as directed. His directorial debut, "We Love You," a 38-minute documentary about the annual Rainbow Gathering held by anarchists each Fourth of July in a national park, is slated to be shown at the New Jersey International Film Festival and repeated on Oct. 9.

That film soon will be followed by a documentary based on the book "The Soprano State: The Culture of Corruption in New Jersey" by Gannett writers Bob Ingle and Sandy McClure.

"I first learned about the Rainbow Gatherings from a couple I was friends with while an undergrad at Rutgers," said Jonathan Kalafer, a 1998 Rutgers grad with a degree in English and a master's from the New School in secondary education. "I didn't believe half the stuff they were telling me. When the annual was in Pennsylvania in 1999, I figured that I would go and see for myself. It was an amazing experience. I was really surprised that it was as unbelievable as my friends had told me."

While there is no official organization to create a mission statement, the hippy-rooted Rainbow Gathering has drawn tens of thousands of people every summer since 1972 to create a temporary city deep in the wilderness of the country's national parks. For a couple of weeks, they gather in lean-to kitchens around mud stoves, on makeshift stages and in circles chanting in solidarity with the earth and each other; all nary pursuit of park permits or any recognition of surrounding site officials.

(...more at links above)

Posted on: 2009/9/25 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Congratulations Jonathan!

Posted on: 2009/9/24 17:58
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

LOCAL TEACHER'S DOCUMENTARY SCREENING

Hide User information
Last Login :
From DT
Group:
Registered Users
I am a teacher at Dickinson High School where I teach a digital media course. A documentary I directed will be screening at the New Jersey International Film Festival Oct. 4 and 9. It is about an amazing and under-reported phenomenon called the Rainbow Gatherings.

This is our East Coast Premiere and we are proud to do it in NJ. Our first screening was in LA where we won the \"Best Documentary\" prize.

You can watch the trailer and get more info at our website: We Love You Official Website

After-party to be announced at the screening.

[img align=left]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2955759&l=f92ad92005&id=507057125[/img]

Posted on: 2009/9/23 15:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017