Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: State cuts education budget, Board of Ed elections next week - Get Involved!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I will not tell anyone how to vote; however, I want to pass on some information, only Anthony Cucci have attended city hall meetings when large tax abatements are on the agenda. He has asked the council not to vote yes because of school funding. I do not know why other school officials are silent, for that he gets my vote.
Yvonne

Posted on: 2009/4/18 0:04

Re: State cuts education budget, Board of Ed elections next week - Get Involved!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/6 17:44
Group:
Banned
Quote:

1djcview wrote:
Board of Education elections are next Tuesday, 4/21. Find out who the candidates are and where they stand on the issues most important to our youngest student citizens.

I don't have children, but am concerned about this issue as it almost seems there are two conflicting positions. As a progressive liberal, I want to see appropriate resources - both financial, as well as educational ideas - benefit children. But as a homeowner, I am concerned about taxes escalating out of control, as a result of law like Abbott, due to the fact that kids from poor and dysfunctional neighborhoods seem to have endless needs.

I live in the Heights, and got my flyer in the mail for next week's BOE elections. Anyone out there from the Heights, who has some experience, or thoughts on, the folks running?

Posted on: 2009/4/17 14:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
The inevitable transition away from state-dependent funding toward a more locally-driven model is going to be difficult and undoubtedly involve some hard decisions.

On the other hand, here is an excellent, extremely easy place to start: http://www.jcboe.org/media/81326/nonaf.pdf

I'm not sure which is a more attractive target for cuts: the 12 "Special Assistants" making a combined $1,436,632 a year ($119,719 avg.) or the 8 "Associate Superintendents" for $1,207,248 annually (for a whopping avg. of $150,906.)

I'm not going to pretend to be the definitive authority on how to run an urban school district, but a superintendent, a deputy and 20 associates and special assistants at more than $3 million a year? Seems excessive to me.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Brilliant, it's about time the Abbot bs gets reversed. It's been proven that dropping money into poorer districts doesn't work anyway. It's not fair to the parents in other towns who have to pay the tuition in poorer districts. That money should go towards their own schools. Wow Corzine, this is impressive.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 13:58

State cuts education budget, Board of Ed elections next week - Get Involved!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Board of Education elections are next Tuesday, 4/21. Find out who the candidates are and where they stand on the issues most important to our youngest student citizens.

In the meantime, here's what some Jersey City parents, students and community members had to say on the subject today, in front of City Hall:

************************************************************************************
PARENTS RALLY TO URGE THE COURT TO REJECT CORZINE?S NEW SCHOOL FUNDING PLAN

They tell City Leaders: we need your support

On Thursday, April 16, from 12 to 1pm, Parents and Communities United for Education (PCUE) held a rally at the steps of the City Hall in Jersey City to oppose Governor Corzine?s school funding plan (School Funding Reform Act?SFRA). Over 70 parents, children, and community members participated in this rally. SFRA reverses decades of efforts under Abbott court decisions to provide educational equity for children in poor urban districts, predominantly made up of Black and Latino communities. The NJ State Supreme Court is holding a hearing on April 28 to decide whether the SFRA is constitutional and provides NJ children a quality education.

Because of the new school funding formula, Jersey City is facing a $24 million cut in the school budget for year 2009-2010. The shortfall in the budget is causing cuts in tutoring programs, after school programs, summer school, teacher professional training, preschool programs, Special Education programs, and classroom supplies. Academic and social service programs are particularly important for cities with high concentrations of poor and low-income families. These programs assist children to perform better academically and to reach their potential. Governor Corzine?s plan will put our children and our neighborhoods at greater risk.

LueElla McFadden, President of PCUE and a great grandmother of a child in school # 38, said ?No matter how the governor is trying to disguise his school funding plan, the fact remains that our children will carry the brunt of his thoughtlessness. With SFRA our children will pay a heavy cost. We will not stand by and let them take away our children?s future.?

Debra Jordan, PCUE Treasurer and a grandmother of a few children in public schools said, ?We are rallying here to voice our concerns for our children?s future. The state says it wants our children to excel. However, they are taking away the funding needed to maintain the programs and services our children need in order to succeed. This is duplicity. The state has to put the money where its mouth is.?

?We are also here to tell our Mayor and Council President that we need them to stand together with us. We are going to Trenton for the court hearing on April 28, and we are asking them to accompany us,? Ms. Jordan added.

PCUE is a grassroots organization of parents, grandparents, and concerned members of the community. A chapter of the Statewide Education Organizing Committee of NJ (SEOC). PCUE is committed to organizing parents in all Jersey City communities to improve education for our children. Over the last year, since its founding, PCUE?s efforts have led to healthier schools for JC children. Since Trenton unveiled its school funding plan, PCUE has joined with advocacy and parent organizations across New Jersey to oppose Governor Corzine?s assaults on the state?s poorest school districts.

************************************************************************************

Find out more:

PCUE
(Parents and Community United for Education)

Jersey City chapter of Statewide Education Organizing Committee (SEOC)
169-A Martin Luther King Drive
Jersey City, NJ 07305
201-918-2918

http://www.pcueforhealthyschools.blogspot.com/

http://www.seocnj.org

Posted on: 2009/4/17 3:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?