Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 'The New Yorkiest blocks'...TONY
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
$1,500 for a studio rental??? Least expensive unit too?!?

Posted on: 2009/4/16 0:57

nice write up on neighborhood faves in TONY
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 16:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/4/16 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Nice they covered us but I'm not sure about the title "New Yorkiest" - not very "old school" New York - more like...
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/4/4 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Funny Photos - TONY's other NYC choices are also pretty funny. (click link to see all their New Yorkiest choices)
http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/t ... 18/the-best-blocks-in-nyc

Seventh Ave between 8th and 9th Sts, Park Slope, Brooklyn
Cheap meets fancy-pants at this bustling Brooklyn crossroads, a neighborhood hub for decades.

30th Ave between 35th and 36th Sts, Astoria, Queens
Family-owned businesses have kept this stretch alive. (Dizzy Gillespie loved it too.)

Myrtle Ave between Clermont and Vanderbilt Aves, Fort Greene, Brooklyn
Longtime locals are adapting to newcomers?and the economy.

7th St between First Ave and Ave A
Old-world New York thrives among boutiques, bars and bacon.

Roosevelt Ave between 78th and 79th Sts,Jackson Heights, Queens
The 'hood's known for quintessential NYC diversity. This block represents.

E. 187th Street between Arthur and Hughes, The Bronx
There's intrablock intrigue in the Little Italy of the Bronx.

125th St between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. and Malcolm X Blvds, Harlem
Shopping, heritage, history?and rising rents.

Grove St between Mercer and Montgomery Sts, Jersey City, NJ
A haven for NYC expats.

======================
The New Yorkiest blocks
Nearly every street in this city is a mash-up of eateries, shops and apartments, populated with a sea of weirdos, old-schoolers and bewildered newcomers. Here, we pull back the curtain on five quintessentially New Yorkish stretches?blocks that reveal the myriad ways we live, work and play. Follow us.
=======================

http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/t ... 4/best-blocks-jersey-city

Tour New York
Time Out New York / Issue 705 : Apr 2?8, 2009

The secret lives of NYC streets

Grove St between Mercer and Montgomery Sts, Jersey City, NJ
A haven for NYC expats.

Before Weichert Realtors (273 Grove St) claimed the corner of Grove and Montgomery Streets, the space was occupied by a liquor store. Mohammed Rajaa Malik, the store?s owner, was arrested in June 2001 for trying to export weapons, and was referred to in The New York Times as ?Stinger Missile Mike.?

Half the block was full of abandoned buildings before Exeter Property Company developed the spaces at the start of the decade, says Paul Silverman, who runs the business with his brother Eric?and claims that he?s known as the Mayor of Grove Street.

Jerseyites with problem feet have been limping into Carlascio Orthopedics (283 Grove St, 201-333-8710) for 86 years. Owner Lou Carlascio Jr. says property values have skyrocketed in recent years, but that hasn?t affected his business. ?We own our space, which is probably why we?re still here,? he says.

To live up to its name, N-Joyable Hair Designs (283 Grove St, 201-985-0089) is offering reduced rates on cuts and coloring (starting at $25 and $40, respectively) until the end of spring.

For Megan O?Sullivan, owner of clothing and antique boutique Tia?s Place (277 Grove St, 201-451-9358), Jersey City was exactly right for her entrepreneurial vision. ?I looked in downtown Manhattan, I looked in Hoboken,? she says. ?I wanted a big, open space where I could display clothes on antique furniture instead of metal racks. I doubt there are many other places where I could?ve found that, and definitely very few where I could?ve afforded it.?

?We?ve got people in their sixties next to people in their twenties,? says Elaine Hansen, owner of Yoga Shunya (275 Grove St, 201-610-9737). The spacious studio, which offers classes for all skill levels, including yoga for pregnant women, has been the only anusara game in town for ten years. ?I?ve been teaching prenatal for so long, these kids are now eight years old. I feel like a grandmother many times over.?

?You couldn?t even pay me to go back to New York,? says Chanel Salgado, who moved to the block six months ago. ?I don?t miss anything.? Salgado, a former Astoria resident, says that the surprisingly easy commute, cheaper transportation and nearby Grove Street PATH station were crucial to her conversion. ?Everything I need is right there. I can go to the gym, or if I need toilet paper I can just cross the street.?

City Hall (280 Grove St) first opened its doors in 1896. This building has been a fixture in the community for more than a century, even surviving a four-alarm fire in 1979 that damaged the structure?s roof and three of five friezes.

Built in the early 1900s, the Bar Majestic (275 Grove St) used to be a charming vaudeville theater. These days it?s a mod wine lounge. When developers were renovating the space, they wanted to preserve its history?which explains the ancient urinal in the men?s bathroom. The facade still features the marquee of the Majestic Theatre, and the interior includes some original walls from the venue?s lobby. Every Monday is movie night at the bar, offering drink specials related to the screening, and the first Monday of the month is ?Jersey City Resident Appreciation Night,? which means all food and drink is half off.

Vital stats about the Majestic Theatre Condominiums (222 Montgomery St):

* Number of units: 45 (38 for sale, seven for rent)
* Years it took to plan and build condos: Five
* Most expensive unit for sale: $800,000 (three-bedroom)
* Least expensive: $300,000 (studio)
* Most expensive rental: $3,500 (three-bedroom)
* Least expensive: $1,500 (studio)

?Kyle McGovern

Posted on: 2009/4/4 11:04

'The New Yorkiest blocks'...TONY
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/4/4 6:36