Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fulop won't join slate, touts independence - said he didn't want to engage in "mud slinging."
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Fulop won't join slate, touts independence

Thursday, February 05, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

After flirting with running on a slate in this spring's municipal elections, Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop announced yesterday that he will maintain his independent status in his re-election campaign.

Fulop said he had considered joining forces with one of three mayoral candidates - Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, state Assemblyman L. Harvey Smith or former state Assemblyman Louis Manzo - because it would save a lot of money, but he said he didn't want to engage in "mud slinging."

"It is undoubtedly going to be the ugliest campaign that Jersey City has ever seen," Fulop said of the mayoral race. "I can run an effective race without relying on the top of the ticket that is going to engage in negative attacks."

He also said serving as in independent gives him the benefit of "not being beholden to party bosses or special interests."

Fulop had said he considering joining a slate because it would give him the benefit of likely support of other council members. But he said he already has good relationships with several council members and candidates, such as Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson and City Council candidates Jimmy King and Jimmy Carroll.

"I am confident that I will have allies on that council after May," he said. "There's no question about it."

Fulop also announced that education advocate Shelley Skinner, who recently withdrew her candidacy for an at-large council seat, will serve as his campaign manager.

Antonio Tony Torres, Jaime Vazquez and Frank Scalcione are also running for the Ward E seat.

Manzo accused, then Fulop said, then .
Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Everybody's talking about Fulop, Manzo, Catrillo, Levin, Gaughan, Brennan, Levin, Richardson, Healy, Lipski, Bertoli: All we are saaayiiiing is give peace a chance.

Sorry, that illusion for the Jersey City municipal election campaign season is long gone.

There has already been quite a bit of behind the scenes name calling and it finally broke out Friday, when mayoral candidate Louis Manzo, a former assemblyman, said that Downtown Councilman Steven Fulop is a phony. Manzo said the councilman, his right-hand man Tom Bertoli and Grateful Dead-loving Journal Square Councilman Steve Lipski have been badmouthing him to campaign contributors and others.

The former assemblyman charged the attacks are part of a deal Fulop has with incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy in which Healy has put up a Ward E candidate (Guy Catrillo) against Fulop with little support from the Jersey City Democratic Organization.

Fulop was unavailable for comment Friday, but he spoke to me about what he thought of Manzo's charges on Monday.

"Lou is mentally unstable," said Fulop. OK.

"He is always paranoid and sees conspiracies everywhere. He should stop wearing a 'tin' hat," the councilman continued.

I think Fulop meant aluminum cap - the kind used to ward off government or extraterrestrial radiowaves.

The councilman also charged that on Saturday, after the accusations, Manzo had begged him to run on his slate against Healy. Fulop said he turned him down.

"This is why they call him Loony Louie," said the councilman.

Manzo's camp sees the Saturday meeting differently.

"The meeting was actually called by Fulop with a request that Lou not run anyone in his ward - that it would cause a problem and may force a runoff in his (Downtown) ward," said Ivan Sutherland, a Manzo campaign spokesman.

"It was Fulop who got upset and said he will say things to destroy Lou," said Sutherland. "We're not getting involved in any schoolyard behavior, name calling. If it's not a debate on what is better for the City of Jersey City, we will not get involved."

Naturally, we could go back and forth on this for a week, but it should be noted that this form of political hand-to-hand combat provides only the surface of hidden, intricate layers of predetermined campaign plans.

Or they just wing it.

Manzo accused, then Fulop said, then .
Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Everybody's talking about Fulop, Manzo, Catrillo, Levin, Gaughan, Brennan, Levin, Richardson, Healy, Lipski, Bertoli: All we are saaayiiiing is give peace a chance.

Sorry, that illusion for the Jersey City municipal election campaign season is long gone.

There has already been quite a bit of behind the scenes name calling and it finally broke out Friday, when mayoral candidate Louis Manzo, a former assemblyman, said that Downtown Councilman Steven Fulop is a phony. Manzo said the councilman, his right-hand man Tom Bertoli and Grateful Dead-loving Journal Square Councilman Steve Lipski have been badmouthing him to campaign contributors and others.

The former assemblyman charged the attacks are part of a deal Fulop has with incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy in which Healy has put up a Ward E candidate (Guy Catrillo) against Fulop with little support from the Jersey City Democratic Organization.

Fulop was unavailable for comment Friday, but he spoke to me about what he thought of Manzo's charges on Monday.

"Lou is mentally unstable," said Fulop. OK.

"He is always paranoid and sees conspiracies everywhere. He should stop wearing a 'tin' hat," the councilman continued.

I think Fulop meant aluminum cap - the kind used to ward off government or extraterrestrial radiowaves.

The councilman also charged that on Saturday, after the accusations, Manzo had begged him to run on his slate against Healy. Fulop said he turned him down.

"This is why they call him Loony Louie," said the councilman.

Manzo's camp sees the Saturday meeting differently.

"The meeting was actually called by Fulop with a request that Lou not run anyone in his ward - that it would cause a problem and may force a runoff in his (Downtown) ward," said Ivan Sutherland, a Manzo campaign spokesman.

"It was Fulop who got upset and said he will say things to destroy Lou," said Sutherland. "We're not getting involved in any schoolyard behavior, name calling. If it's not a debate on what is better for the City of Jersey City, we will not get involved."

Naturally, we could go back and forth on this for a week, but it should be noted that this form of political hand-to-hand combat provides only the surface of hidden, intricate layers of predetermined campaign plans.

Or they just wing it.

I guess this doesn't qualify as slinging mud, does it Steve?

Posted on: 2009/3/1 12:42

Re: Fulop won't join slate, touts independence - said he didn't want to engage in "mud slinging."
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
I like this game,Jenny

Posted on: 2009/2/6 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

Fulop said he had considered joining forces with one of three mayoral candidates - Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, state Assemblyman L. Harvey Smith or former state Assemblyman Louis Manzo - because it would save a lot of money, but he said he didn't want to engage in "mud slinging."

"It is undoubtedly going to be the ugliest campaign that Jersey City has ever seen," Fulop said...

Judging from all the new trolls suddenly posting on here - I think he may be on to something!

Oh great. Can we unplug the internet?

Or can we come up with a new name for these very specific kind of trolls?

Or a drinking game? Every time BrightMoment calls out a troll, we do a shot!

Who's with me?

Posted on: 2009/2/6 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
So Healy unveiled his full slate tonight and running against
Steve Fulop is Guy Cattrillo. He has run several times on past republican tickets and was a big george bush supporter.
What the Hell were they thinking......

Posted on: 2009/2/6 4:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

"It is undoubtedly going to be the ugliest campaign that Jersey City has ever seen," Fulop said...

Judging from all the new trolls suddenly posting on here - I think he may be on to something!

Posted on: 2009/2/5 14:56

Fulop won't join slate, touts independence - said he didn't want to engage in "mud slinging."
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop won't join slate, touts independence

Thursday, February 05, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

After flirting with running on a slate in this spring's municipal elections, Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop announced yesterday that he will maintain his independent status in his re-election campaign.

"It is undoubtedly going to be the ugliest campaign that Jersey City has ever seen," Fulop said of the mayoral race. "I can run an effective race without relying on the top of the ticket that is going to engage in negative attacks."

He also said serving as in independent gives him the benefit of "not being beholden to party bosses or special interests."

Fulop had said he considering joining a slate because it would give him the benefit of likely support of other council members. But he said he already has good relationships with several council members and candidates, such as Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson and City Council candidates Jimmy King and Jimmy Carroll.

"I am confident that I will have allies on that council after May," he said. "There's no question about it."

Fulop also announced that education advocate Shelley Skinner, who recently withdrew her candidacy for an at-large council seat, will serve as his campaign manager.

Antonio Tony Torres, Jaime Vazquez and Frank Scalcione are also running for the Ward E seat.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 13:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017