Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
57 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hoboken Sovereign Bank's ATM modified to steal users' card info and pin number
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
This happened to me last month. Somebody withdrew $300 using my ATM card details in a foreign country but Bank of America flagged it as suspicious because I made a local withdrawal the same day. So I got a new card and PIN.

The places I normally use my card are JC, Hoboken and NYC, but if it's NYC it's always from inside a BoA lobby that normally requires card access.

Yesterday, I was at Newport Mall and tried to withdraw some money from the portable BoA ATM on the ground floor near the Parking Garage exit.

The first thing it did was ask me which language I wanted, which it normally doesnt do but everything else looked like the usual BoA software. When it asked me for the PIN it wouldnt accept it, so I tried several times

I thought perhaps my card had been too close to my cell phone so I tried it again at the Newport BoA lobby and it worked fine.

I reported this to BoA and they were going to send somebody out to check. Anybody else have a problem with that machine yesterday?

Posted on: 2009/2/19 14:27

Re: Hoboken Sovereign Bank's ATM modified to steal users' card info and pin number
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sullyx wrote:
Quote:

sandman wrote:
What recourse does one have if this happens to them?

Someone I know had $800 fraudulently taken from their Bank of America checking account via the ATM, but the bank refuses to take responsibility. How can you prove it, when you didn't take the money yourself?

that's why they install cameras, no?

According to the bank, you have to get the police to ask for the camera recordings for them to be reviewed. My friend filed a police report , but they did not follow through (not JCPD). She finally got frustrated and gave up.

Posted on: 2008/12/23 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sandman wrote:

Someone I know had $800 fraudulently taken from their Bank of America checking account via the ATM, but the bank refuses to take responsibility. How can you prove it, when you didn't take the money yourself?

that's why they install cameras, no?

Posted on: 2008/12/22 17:57
utterly deplorable

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/12/21 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCase wrote:
Quote:
An estimated four of the ATM victims are Hoboken residents.

How do you estimate that kind of thing?

They (thieves) probably used their numbers. And this is a bank ! I would never use a non bank teller machine, such as in a store or a shop of some kind.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
An estimated four of the ATM victims are Hoboken residents.

How do you estimate that kind of thing?

Posted on: 2008/12/20 17:36

Hoboken Sovereign Bank's ATM modified to steal users' card info and pin number
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Device stole ATM users' bank info

Saturday, December 20, 2008
By CARLY BALDWIN
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

HOBOKEN - If you used the ATM at the downtown Hoboken Sovereign Bank branch to withdraw money, you may have unknowingly given away your account information in return, say Hoboken police.

This past fall, two thieves put an illegal "skimming device" on the ATM card reader that would record the card owner's account number and PIN. The thieves then used the information to create phony cards and steal nearly $20,000 from various bank customers.

Two men hit the 86 River St. bank three different times this past fall, first on Sept. 10, then again on Sept. 17 and then a third time on Oct. 3.

The men would come into the ATM lobby area after hours, dressed as technicians, and install the skimming device. They would leave it there for a few hours and then remove it.

The two men were caught on the bank's security tapes, but they hid their faces from the camera.

"It looks like the ATM you're used to using," said Hoboken Sgt. Sam Williams. "Some are so sophisticated you can still take out money and have no idea you've been scammed."

Using the stolen information, the thieves made bogus credit and debit cards and then made withdrawals from ATMs in New York City. By Dec. 5, the men had stolen more than $19,000 from 30 customers, Hoboken police said. An estimated four of the ATM victims are Hoboken residents.

Williams said skimming devices can be placed on the external card reader and look identical to regular card readers. He said the safest ATMs have internal card readers, since it's more difficult to install skimming devices in them.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 10:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017