Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Obama win could bring opportunity for Newark mayor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
The worst thing for Newark would be if Booker were to take a job with the Feds.

Lets hope that he sticks to his guns and stays on as the Mayor.

Oh and BTW, I think Corey Booker is much more qualified to run for Prez than Mty suit "O"!

CK

CK - I happen to agree with you wholeheartedly.

Corey Booker runs a tough town (to say the least), and is not a phony like 'Bama.

Corey Booker could be my President any time of the day (provided he's more to center than to left - that's my only requirement).

But, as we all know, both in business and politics, phonies win.

So sad.

Posted on: 2008/10/31 18:39

Re: Obama win could bring opportunity for Newark mayor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
The worst thing for Newark would be if Booker were to take a job with the Feds.

Lets hope that he sticks to his guns and stays on as the Mayor.

Oh and BTW, I think Corey Booker is much more qualified to run for Prez than Mty suit "O"!

CK

Posted on: 2008/10/31 14:41

Obama win could bring opportunity for Newark mayor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Obama win could bring opportunity for Newark mayor

By VICTOR EPSTEIN
Newsday
Associated Press Writer
October 31, 2008

NEWARK, N.J. - The 800 union workers at the Obama rally in downtown Newark were fired up long before Cory Booker took the stage Oct. 22. Veterans of New Jersey's Democratic machine, led by U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg, had already worked up the overflow partisan crowd, but it was Booker, the 39-year-old charismatic mayor of New Jersey's largest city, who brought them to a frenzy.

"Are you ready to Barack and roll," the former collegiate tight-end shouted into the microphone like a boxing announcer, eliciting a thunderous response.

"Are you ready to Barack and roll!" Booker asked again. Lautenberg, 84, exchanged nods and smiles with several members of the New Jersey Assembly as the resulting roar washed over them on the small stage inside a ballroom at the Robert Treat Hotel.

Booker's early and enthusiastic role as one of Barack Obama's top cheerleaders has fueled speculation he might be offered a top position in Washington, D.C., should the Democratic candidate prevail Nov. 4.

Booker has repeatedly denied interest in a federal position, saying his focus remains on improving the quality of life in Newark, a city that continues to struggle with violent crime, poverty and unemployment. Homicides have fallen to 52 so far this year, from 83 the same period a year ago, but Newark is still struggling to shed its reputation for gun violence.

Two people were killed and two wounded in five drive-by shootings during a 45-minute span Oct. 24. The alleged perpetrators were captured on a video surveillance system Booker championed. The outburst of violence was reminiscent of the execution-style slayings of three college-bound friends in a school playground last year.

"This has never been about the Cory Booker show in Newark," Booker said the day before daredevil Nik Wallenda set a world record on a high-wire above downtown Newark Oct. 15, in an event marking the circus return to the city after a 56-year absence. "I'm a big believer that you need to be more about a purpose than a position and right now my purpose is to see the City of Newark reach its fullest potential and to have a great urban transformation."

Though Booker denies being interested in moving on, that doesn't mean it won't happen, given the difficult realities of building a political career, according to Ingrid Reed, director of the New Jersey Project at Rutgers Eagleton Institute of Politics.

"I could see Cory Booker leaving Newark if Obama won and offered him a meaningful Cabinet post like secretary of HUD," Reed said in a reference to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. "It's the one position that could make him leave Newark with the job there unfinished."

Booker is viewed by many political observers to be a rising star. He's included with Obama in "The Breakthrough," a book by journalist Gwen Ifill about a new generation of emerging young black politicians who are direct beneficiaries of the civil rights struggles of the 1960s.

The Obama campaign has warned its members against becoming too cocky and looking beyond the election, and Booker's comments dovetail with the party line. Newark's comeback remains incomplete and will take at least a second term to finish, he said.

Obama values Booker's support, according to Andrew Poag, communications director for the New Jersey campaign.

"Mayor Booker's advice and counsel have been invaluable," Poag said, sidestepping questions about a possible post. "Much like Mayor Booker is doing, Sen. Obama will bring change to Washington, D.C."

Newark never recovered from the deadly 1968 rallies that fractured the city after the assassination of Martin Luther King, but it's also never had as much positive momentum as it does now with Booker at the helm. The bachelor is one of the youngest mayors of a major U.S. city. However, he didn't win the job without paying his dues.

As a Newark councilman, Booker drew attention to problems in the Brick Towers housing project by setting up residence there from 1998 to 2006. He conducted a 10-day hunger strike in 1999 and parked a motor home at crime-plagued street corners to focus attention on drug-related crime in 2000.

He also lost a bruising mayoral race in 2002 to incumbent mayor Sharpe James, who portrayed Booker as an affluent outsider. The political showdown was detailed in the Oscar-nominated documentary film "Street Fight."

James, who was mayor of Newark from 1986 to 2006 is now serving a 27-month sentence in federal prison for corruption. James' predecessor, Kenneth Gibson, was sentenced to three years probation for federal tax evasion in 2002, in connection with a school construction project. Gibson's predecessor, Hugh Addonizio, who led Newark from 1962 to 1970, was convicted of extortion and conspiracy and served five years in prison.

Today, revitalization efforts in Newark are gaining momentum behind big projects like the Prudential Center arena, home to the New Jersey Devils hockey team, and the downtown area is starting to regain law firms and residents. The new $150 million Liberty Plaza office complex, announced last week, will create about 400,000 square feet of high-end office space downtown.

"I'm sure that Cory Booker would have opportunities in an Obama administration," said U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez, a New Jersey Democrat. "The question is what does Cory Booker want to do?"

Political insiders say the answer revolves around Booker's ambitions and the best pathway to achieving them. Obama and Washington represent an opportunity that could have an expiration date. For example, there's no guarantee a victorious Obama would be re-elected, according to Reed. At the same time, there's no guarantee the current economic slowdown won't undermine the development efforts at the heart of Newark's turnaround.

Lautenberg agreed: "Wherever he went, Cory Booker would be an addition."

Jersey City Mayor Jeremiah Healy and The Rev. Reginald Jackson, head of the New Jersey conference of black ministers, are convinced Booker will stay and pursue re-election in 2010.

"I don't know that Cory wants to go to D.C.," Healy said. "In my opinion, he's going to stay right here where he is and run again. He's committed to turning Newark around and it's going to take another term to finish the job."

Jackson said Booker actually does better in statewide polls than he does in Newark, and is a possible selection for lieutenant governor in 2009. According to Reed, Booker would seek re-election in 2010 in the most likely scenario, then run for governor in 2014.

"The mayor has higher aspirations, but they're related to the state," Jackson said. "He might want to be governor someday and going to Washington might hurt that."

Gov. Jon Corzine said that he's spoken with Booker about his political aspirations and is convinced the mayor will remain in Newark. If he's successful there, Booker might provide a blueprint for other urban areas that never recovered from the MLK riots.

Success in Newark will create opportunities for Booker, Corzine said.

"If he does a good job turning Newark around he doesn't have to worry about it (his political future)," Corzine said.

Posted on: 2008/10/31 14:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017