Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: The New York Times: Healy pleased deadline has been set for Montgomery Gardens
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
All I can say is WOW! What a mess, that needs to be cleaned up asap.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 13:21

Re: The New York Times: Healy pleased deadline has been set for Montgomery Gardens
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
$80M Jersey City agency in turmoil - Controls low-income housing, but tenants and leadership in limbo

By Ricardo Kaulessar
Hudson Reporter
10/31/2008

Jersey City Housing Authority Executive Director Maria Maio probably wished she didn't attend Wednesday's monthly meeting for the agency's public housing tenants.

Maio's agency oversees 13 subsidized housing complexes in Jersey City, using an $80 million federally funded budget from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

The meeting was held in Montgomery Gardens, a complex on Montgomery Street that the JCHA intends to knock down and replace with mixed-income housing. The tenants believe they were not warned about the plans, and are worried they won't get their homes back after the transformation.

In fact, at Wednesday's meeting, one of the housing board's ex-commissioners presented an internal memo saying the agency plans to approve a developer by as early as Dec. 10 who would build new housing on the site of the demolished building.

Losing their homes?

At the meeting in the complex's community center Wednesday, Maio was questioned by residents in the crowd of over 100 as well as current board commissioner Ed Cheatam and former board commissioner Lori Serrano.

Also in attendance was City Councilman Steven Fulop, who represents the downtown area including Montgomery Gardens.

The residents were unhappy at comments made by Maio last month in newspapers about the 435-unit, six-building complex being slated for demolition within the next two years. Four developers have already submitted development proposals to Maio, including one who is working on an adjacent condo building.

Residents at the meeting were upset that Maio provided this information to the press but according to them, had not given out the same information at the monthly meetings.

Wanting some honesty

Cheatam said that at previous meetings, Maio had denied that there was a concrete plan for the future of the complex. Then, Serrano showed an internal JCHA memo from Sept. 23 that details a schedule for the review of proposals, including giving a developer a contract by Dec. 10.

Cheatam insisted that Maio should schedule meetings between potential developers and residents within the next two weeks to explain the various development proposals, so the tenants could offer their input.

Maio tried to defend her comments in a recent New York Times article, claiming she made them after getting a call from a reporter. Maio also said that any presentation by developers would not be scheduled until Dec. 31.

Before the meeting ended, some were calling for Maio to be "voted out" of her job.

Maio spoke to a few residents after the meeting, but her only comment to the Hudson Reporter about the meeting was, "I'm glad we had a good turnout," before walking away.

Other things come out

The meeting also saw Cheatam lashing out at Maio because Serrano had to vacate her volunteer position on the seven-member Housing Authority Board of Commissioners on Oct. 22. She was replaced by new board member Raj Mukerji, a 24-year-old lobbyist for Mayor Jerramiah Healy, by a 6-0 City Council vote (with two abstentions).

Cheatam, Serrano, and others in the audience believed Serrano was replaced through machinations on Maio's part. The ostensible reason for Serrano's removal was that she did not complete the courses required to serve as a commissioner, particularly as the board's chairperson. Fulop apologized at Wednesday's meeting for voting for Mukerji (whom Fulop also praised) instead of abstaining. He also called for "more transparency" from Maio and offered his support to the residents.

Serrano, in an interview last week, provided e-mails buttressing her point that she shouldn't have been taken off the board. An e-mail from Maria Maio's secretary dates Feb. 28, 12 days after an 18-month period ended for her to take the five required courses. That e-mail confirms that Serrano was registered for an additional course, rather than being told that she did not complete the required courses on time. Serrano also said last week that she has documentation proving that she completed the required courses, but she had not provided it as of press time.

Serrano is also suspicious about the timing of her being replaced on the board, only one week after an Oct. 15 special commissioners meeting in which Serrano took Maio to task for not informing the board that she would be speaking to newspapers about Montgomery Gardens. Also at that meeting, board members had asked Maio to look at cutting positions in Maio's office, as requested by HUD based on an independent review of the Housing Authority in May.

"Maria only wants the people on the board to be her rubber stamp," Serrano said. "She was out to get me because I was holding her accountable."

When interviewed last week before the Wednesday meeting, Maio said that she was not behind the decision to replace Serrano. She also said that that the board has approved Cinciarelli as new board chairperson, and may have to rescind decisions approved at board meetings from late February to Oct. 15, when Serrano might have been ineligible.

But Serrano claims that the approval of a new board chairperson was illegal, and that any change like that required advertisement for a public meeting in local newspapers.

Comments on this story can be sent to rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2008/11/1 12:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/7 16:42
Group:
Registered Users
I am one of 5 children raised by a single mother. We were on welfare in the early days when I was 4 years old. When we were all in school Mom got part time work and then full time work.

We all became responsible adults and members of the community.

It all starts at home. Parents have to raise the expectations and not back down.

Posted on: 2008/10/17 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jeebus,

You do have a good point:
...bad choices feeding on themselves. As a counter example, look at how successful many poor immigrants have been by not being inclined to: "drop out of school, to have children while in their teens, to abuse drugs, to commit crimes, to not save when extra money comes their way, to not work".

Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
Another way of looking at this is that bad decisions tend to compound. It's not a matter of an uncontrollable external influence (the silly multiple bee sting metaphor) but bad choices feeding on themselves. As a counter example, look at how successful many poor immigrants have been by not being inclined to: "drop out of school, to have children while in their teens, to abuse drugs, to commit crimes, to not save when extra money comes their way, to not work".

I am very grateful that my parents, who came here with the shirts on their backs, were completely ignorant of liberal poverty nonsense. I'm sure that the future of our country will be well served by future immigrants ignoring such claptrap.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
"In the community of people dedicated to analyzing poverty, one of the sharpest debates is over why some poor people act in ways that ensure their continued indigence. Compared with the middle class or the wealthy, the poor are disproportionately likely to drop out of school, to have children while in their teens, to abuse drugs, to commit crimes, to not save when extra money comes their way, to not work. ...

...traditional economics just doesn't apply to the poor. When we're poor, Karelis argues, our economic worldview is shaped by deprivation, and we see the world around us not in terms of goods to be consumed but as problems to be alleviated. This is where the bee stings come in: A person with one bee sting is highly motivated to get it treated. But a person with multiple bee stings does not have much incentive to get one sting treated, because the others will still throb....Poverty is less a matter of having few goods than having lots of problems....

Karelis argues that being poor is defined by having to deal with a multitude of problems: One doesn't have enough money to pay rent or car insurance or credit card bills or day care or sometimes even food. Even if one works hard enough to pay off half of those costs, some fairly imposing ones still remain, which creates a large disincentive to bestir oneself to work at all....

Reducing the number of economic hardships that the poor have to deal with actually make them more, not less, likely to work, "

Boston Globe

Posted on: 2008/10/16 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Another way of looking at this is that bad decisions tend to compound. It's not a matter of an uncontrollable external influence (the silly multiple bee sting metaphor) but bad choices feeding on themselves. As a counter example, look at how successful many poor immigrants have been by not being inclined to: "drop out of school, to have children while in their teens, to abuse drugs, to commit crimes, to not save when extra money comes their way, to not work".

I am very grateful that my parents, who came here with the shirts on their backs, were completely ignorant of liberal poverty nonsense. I'm sure that the future of our country will be well served by future immigrants ignoring such claptrap.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
"In the community of people dedicated to analyzing poverty, one of the sharpest debates is over why some poor people act in ways that ensure their continued indigence. Compared with the middle class or the wealthy, the poor are disproportionately likely to drop out of school, to have children while in their teens, to abuse drugs, to commit crimes, to not save when extra money comes their way, to not work. ...

...traditional economics just doesn't apply to the poor. When we're poor, Karelis argues, our economic worldview is shaped by deprivation, and we see the world around us not in terms of goods to be consumed but as problems to be alleviated. This is where the bee stings come in: A person with one bee sting is highly motivated to get it treated. But a person with multiple bee stings does not have much incentive to get one sting treated, because the others will still throb....Poverty is less a matter of having few goods than having lots of problems....

Karelis argues that being poor is defined by having to deal with a multitude of problems: One doesn't have enough money to pay rent or car insurance or credit card bills or day care or sometimes even food. Even if one works hard enough to pay off half of those costs, some fairly imposing ones still remain, which creates a large disincentive to bestir oneself to work at all....

Reducing the number of economic hardships that the poor have to deal with actually make them more, not less, likely to work, "

Boston Globe

Posted on: 2008/10/16 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Boston Globe

Posted on: 2008/10/15 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
Quote:

"Hurry up, so I can get my money and move," said Jenkins when told of plans to replace the complex with low-rise, mixed-income buildings.

Classic. Give me my money. I love these people. Give me my money.

I wish I got paid to move, but that's right I have a job and it's my responsibility to pay for these people. I'm sorry, I'll go back to work now so these people can enjoy my hard earned money.

Are you willing to live in the same conditions as Jenkins endured for the past many years she was there. That's how housing works. Similar to jail, free room & board which means free rent, 3 sq. meals, heat, utilities, etc. But the enviroment is horrible. Bad trade off, very bad trade off.

Posted on: 2008/10/15 9:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Maio said. "I have said this to Dorothy three times."

GLINDA: Then close your eyes, and tap your heels together three times. And think to yourself -- "There's no place like home; there's no place like home; there's no place like home."

Posted on: 2008/10/15 2:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Demolition is news to Montgomery Gardens tenant leader

by Ken Thorbourne
Tuesday October 14, 2008, 7:17 PM

Tenant leaders at the Montgomery Gardens public housing complex in Jersey City claimed they were blindsided by today's Jersey Journal story about plans to demolish the 435-unit complex to build a low-rise, mixed-income development.

Tenants said they understood developers were being recruited for the job, but thought it all would play out over five years, said Tenant Council President Dorothy Carter.

Jersey City Housing Authority officials said in today's story they hoped to select a developer by the end of the year and have a finished plan by next summer or fall.

"They (JCHA officials) just jumped the gun and made the decision without including us. I disagree with the way this is going," Carter said.

JCHA Executive Director Maria Maio said tenant leaders have been kept informed and will play key roles in deciding what gets built. "We meet every month" said Maio.

Three tenants will sit on the committee that selects among the four developers who have submitted proposals, Maio said. "I have said this to Dorothy three times."

None of the tenants objected to new plans for the development -- a victim of federal budget cuts, ongoing gang and gun violence, and a nationwide push for smaller, more manageable public housing.

Metrovest Equities -- the developer transforming the old Jersey City Medical Center into a swanky condo complex next to Montgomery Gardens -- is in the running to be selected as a developer for the six-acre site.

And they will be treated like everybody else, Maio said. "We (the JCHA) have a very good reputation for having a process that complies with legal and any ethical standards there might be," she said. "People know there will be a process that is fair and equitable to everyone."

Posted on: 2008/10/15 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

"Hurry up, so I can get my money and move," said Jenkins when told of plans to replace the complex with low-rise, mixed-income buildings.

Classic. Give me my money. I love these people. Give me my money.

I wish I got paid to move, but that's right I have a job and it's my responsibility to pay for these people. I'm sorry, I'll go back to work now so these people can enjoy my hard earned money.

Posted on: 2008/10/14 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mixed reaction Montgomery Gardens resident Geneva Jenkins thinks knocking down her home is a great idea.

Tuesday, October 14
Jersey Journal

Jenkins said she's had mold in her apartment and her ceiling collapsed. "Too long," she huffed about her three years at the complex.

But resident Chimere Bell, 25, isn't convinced there's greener grass elsewhere. She blames her well-to-do next-door neighbors for shoving her out.

"There's violence everywhere. They're doing it (the new plan) because of the Beacon," Bell said, adding that the housing vouchers residents are to receive will not last forever.

KEN THORBOURNE

==============================

Planning transformation for Montgomery Gardens
Mixed income low-rise seen as solution to public housing
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Crime-ridden and too expensive to maintain, the Montgomery Gardens public housing complex in Jersey City is going the way of the dodo bird, according to city officials.

Meanwhile, its rich neighbor to the west - the Beacon condo complex at the old Jersey City Medical Center - could have a big say in how the six-acre site is transformed.
Advertisement

Before the year's out, the city's Housing Authority hopes to select a developer to replace the six-tower, 549-unit complex along Montgomery Street with a low-rise, mixed-income development, said JCHA Executive Director Maria Maio.

The developer would be part of a team that would also include tenants. A fully developed plan would be ready six to nine months after the developer is picked, she said.

Four developers have tossed their hats into the ring for the job, including Manhattan-based Metrovest Equities, the developer that's renovating the 1,200-unit market-rate complex at the old medical center, Maio said.

Asked if proximity and obvious self-interest gives Metrovest a leg up on the competition, Maio insisted, "Absolutely not."

Maio and Metrovest president George Filopoulos batted down rumors Metrovest was told radical changes at Montgomery Gardens were in the offing before the developer decided more than six years ago to sink $400 million into the nation's largest historic renovation effort.

The decision to adopt a new course at Montgomery Gardens came in June, Maio said, when the authority's board voted to seek a developer, offer vouchers to families who want to leave, and agreed not to refill emptied units.

No one is being asked to move and leases are being renewed, she said. So far, 100 families have requested Section 8 vouchers and about 50 apartments are empty.

Filopoulos, whose proposal for the site includes a large supermarket, added, "The success of the Beacon has allowed this process to be undertaken."

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said the old model of high-rise, low-income public housing, bred "social ills, with crime being the big complaint," adding: "Our Jersey City Housing Authority has . done this successfully in Curries Woods, at Lafayette Gardens, and are in the process at the A. Harry Moore Housing Complex."

The goal of the new development is an even split between market-rate, public housing, and moderate-income housing, Maio said.

About 40 percent of displaced tenants would return to the new development, Maio said. Others would receive Section 8 vouchers.

The other developers vying to build the new Montgomery Gardens are: Boston-based Community Builders; Community Investment Strategies of Bordentown, and the Michaels Development Company of Marlton.

Posted on: 2008/10/14 11:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Mixed reaction
Montgomery Gardens resident Geneva Jenkins thinks knocking down her home is a great idea.

Jenkins said she's had mold in her apartment and her ceiling collapsed. "Too long," she huffed about her three years at the complex.

But resident Chimere Bell, 25, isn't convinced there's greener grass elsewhere. She blames her well-to-do next-door neighbors for shoving her out.

"There's violence everywhere. They're doing it (the new plan) because of the Beacon," Bell said, adding that the housing vouchers residents are to receive will not last forever.

KEN THORBOURNE

Posted on: 2008/10/14 7:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Planning transformation for Montgomery Gardens
Mixed income low-rise seen as solution to public housing
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Crime-ridden and too expensive to maintain, the Montgomery Gardens public housing complex in Jersey City is going the way of the dodo bird, according to city officials.

Meanwhile, its rich neighbor to the west - the Beacon condo complex at the old Jersey City Medical Center - could have a big say in how the six-acre site is transformed.

Before the year's out, the city's Housing Authority hopes to select a developer to replace the six-tower, 549-unit complex along Montgomery Street with a low-rise, mixed-income development, said JCHA Executive Director Maria Maio.

The developer would be part of a team that would also include tenants. A fully developed plan would be ready six to nine months after the developer is picked, she said.

Four developers have tossed their hats into the ring for the job, including Manhattan-based Metrovest Equities, the developer that's renovating the 1,200-unit market-rate complex at the old medical center, Maio said.

Asked if proximity and obvious self-interest gives Metrovest a leg up on the competition, Maio insisted, "Absolutely not."

Maio and Metrovest president George Filopoulos batted down rumors Metrovest was told radical changes at Montgomery Gardens were in the offing before the developer decided more than six years ago to sink $400 million into the nation's largest historic renovation effort.

The decision to adopt a new course at Montgomery Gardens came in June, Maio said, when the authority's board voted to seek a developer, offer vouchers to families who want to leave, and agreed not to refill emptied units.

No one is being asked to move and leases are being renewed, she said. So far, 100 families have requested Section 8 vouchers and about 50 apartments are empty.

Filopoulos, whose proposal for the site includes a large supermarket, added, "The success of the Beacon has allowed this process to be undertaken."

Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said the old model of high-rise, low-income public housing, bred "social ills, with crime being the big complaint," adding: "Our Jersey City Housing Authority has . done this successfully in Curries Woods, at Lafayette Gardens, and are in the process at the A. Harry Moore Housing Complex."

The goal of the new development is an even split between market-rate, public housing, and moderate-income housing, Maio said.

About 40 percent of displaced tenants would return to the new development, Maio said. Others would receive Section 8 vouchers.

The other developers vying to build the new Montgomery Gardens are: Boston-based Community Builders; Community Investment Strategies of Bordentown, and the Michaels Development Company of Marlton.

Posted on: 2008/10/14 7:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
What do the present residents of Montgomery Gardens think of all of this development?

Councilman Fulop what have your constituents in Montgomery Gardens told you about this?

Posted on: 2008/10/13 21:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/5/6 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
If you don't have a car and happen to live in the Beacon, McGinley or Journal Square area, it is challenging to get to Pathmark or ShopRite and even more challenging to bring your groceries home, especially since the way back is all uphill. This is a large, densely populated area of JC that has no access to a supermarket. Part of the Beacon plan was always to have a grocery store. Perhaps with the redevelopment of the Montgomery Gardens site, a larger supermarket with parking could better serve the area.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
And I take that back... you didn't say it but the way it was written made it seem like those were two ideas rather then one.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
oh ok
It just sounds like your plopping a big supermarket there with an equally big parking lot. I have stated I had NO PROBLEM with it being replaced with mixed housing.
But not happy with just a "sprinkling" of low income units... but it's all about that all mighty dollar... well not so mighty anymore tho.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
You're totally missing the point. A supermarket would just be a piece of it -- the commericial tenant on the ground floor.

This is all part of a national program called Hope VI housing, which acknowledges that the high-rise, high-density projects of the mid-20th century have been a failure, and replaces them with low density mixed-use developments. This is a national movement with federal funding -- nothing specific to Jersey City. Read all about it here:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/programs/ph/hope6/

If you know Lafayette Village on Grand St, near Fairmont, that's a Hope VI project:

http://www.jcha.us/lafayette_village.htm

Or the very nice looking low-rise housing that's going up where half of the Duncan projects were knocked down (corner of Truck Rt 1/9), that's Hope VI.

More about Hope VI projects in Jersey City here:

http://www.jcha.us/hope_vi.htm

This is a good thing.

Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
A supermarket?

Unbelievable....
You ever see the movie Slow Burn?
it's about this whole secret real-estate plot to blow up the projects to make room for bigger more expensive condos... this is what this reminds me of... There is a lot of greasing going on im sure.

I mean, replace the projects with buildings that will meet the need for both low-income and middle income people... Fine. Downtown has already become unlivable by normal blue collar workers as it is why keep stretching it out? And to replace it with a da** supermarket?

I love JC I really do but is this really the best decision for the city?

I agree the projects over on Montgomery aren't exactly glamarous, but more police presence, tighter security etc could have alleviated all of that, but they didnt want to do that.. and maybe on purpose, maybe they wanted it to get so bad that they wouldn't have been met with resistance in tearing it down. Something to think about.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Well speaking financially.... You tell me where the people in projects can be "spread" to that they could afford? You think they will move to Portside on Washington, do you think section 8 will cover all of that.?

I am not against supermarkets, I am against supermarkets in place of housing... especially low-income housing that JC so desperately needs. Come on let's be real here, do we really need another supermarket? They have choice of Shop-Rite and Pathmark in that area within a 1 mile radius. I didn't say they were building condos, I was likening it to a movie that reminded me of that.
Again I ask people before they attack the previous poster read the posting, digest it , become it.

Then respond accordingly.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chiefdahill wrote:
I don't think supermarkets discriminate. I also think a supermarket would cater to people of all economic classes.

Two words, Whole Foods!

Posted on: 2008/10/13 20:03
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think supermarkets discriminate. I also think a supermarket would cater to people of all economic classes. They are not building more condos so I don't get your point.

What exactly are you complaining about?

I think any type of project is a bad thing. Clustering subsidized people together in one area is always bad. If you are pro low-income you should understand this. Spreading subsidized tenants across the city would serve them better.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
A supermarket?

Unbelievable....
You ever see the movie Slow Burn?
it's about this whole secret real-estate plot to blow up the projects to make room for bigger more expensive condos... this is what this reminds me of... There is a lot of greasing going on im sure.

I mean, replace the projects with buildings that will meet the need for both low-income and middle income people... Fine. Downtown has already become unlivable by normal blue collar workers as it is why keep stretching it out? And to replace it with a da** supermarket?

I love JC I really do but is this really the best decision for the city?

I agree the projects over on Montgomery aren't exactly glamarous, but more police presence, tighter security etc could have alleviated all of that, but they didnt want to do that.. and maybe on purpose, maybe they wanted it to get so bad that they wouldn't have been met with resistance in tearing it down. Something to think about.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Ideas floated for the site include mixed-income housing and a "superduper supermarket."

It just wouldn't be Jersey City without a paseo.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have to say it:

"I told you so."

This is in response to all those people on various Beacon threads here who consistantly brought up Montgomery Gardens as a reason not to live there, as a reason it was a bad investment, etc, etc. It was very obvious that Metrovest would not put $500M+ into the Beacon knowing the projects next door would remain. No surprise here that they're coming down.

I'm also going to predict that Metrovest gets the project. It's in their best interest to make it as nice as possible, so I see them willing to spend more than the other 3 potential developers.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alb wrote:
So, anyhow, I think it's fair to ask why the city is closing the Montgomery projects first when the projects in Bergen Lafayette look so much creepier?

http://www.thebeaconjc.com/

Posted on: 2008/10/13 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City's Montgomery Gardens public housing complex to be torn down

The Jersey Journal
Monday October 13, 2008

Resized Image

The Montgomery Gardens public housing complex in Jersey City will be torn down

The Montgomery Gardens public housing complex is coming down, and the developer of the Beacon luxury residential complex next door may have a hand in what comes next.

According to the New York Times, plans are already under way to knock down the complex.

Earlier this year, the Jersey City housing authority stopped renewing leases at the 549-unit Montgomery Street complex. Several weeks ago, a notice seeking demolition experts was sent out.

Ideas floated for the site include mixed-income housing and a "superduper supermarket."

Posted on: 2008/10/13 17:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
The playgrounds, for example, are in way, way better shape than the Hamilton Park playgrounds, and the grounds seem to be well-maintained.

It's easy to keep the playground in good shape when the kids are too scared to play on it.

Mark.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 17:26
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Well the people by the beacon are probably partying like there's no tomorrow right now. Have these people started moving out? I Hope Healy makes sure to beef up the police force so these people wont think it's business as usual when they move.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 16:46
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
The building are not nearly as decrepit as some in NY, BUT the crime is out of control over there. As in NY they need to hire their own small police force dedicated to those buildings, there are too many people and not enough police to patrol, of course... you know the old adage.. When the cats away the mice will play.

But that's neither here nor there. They have decided to demolish them and out they go. Over to Greenville, which I'm sure eventually will be subject to demoltions and oustings.

Like Kanye West said george Bush does not care about black people, JC does not care about poor people.

Just my POV don't shoot the messenger.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Just out of curiosity: has anyone in this thread ever spent much time in the Montgomery projects?

If they're the projects I'm thinking of (on the south side of Montgomery, between downtown and the Armory???), to me, they look as if they're well-run and under a decent level of control. The playgrounds, for example, are in way, way better shape than the Hamilton Park playgrounds, and the grounds seem to be well-maintained.

I've passed what I think are medium-rise projects near the Martin Luther King Drive light rail that seem to look a lot more grim and seem to be home to a lot of guys who sit around drinking on the sidewalk all day. Walking by those projects really creeps me out.

So, anyhow, I think it's fair to ask why the city is closing the Montgomery projects first when the projects in Bergen Lafayette look so much creepier?

Posted on: 2008/10/13 15:46

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017