Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bergen Lafayette: Police dog's jaws halt fleeing suspect
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/19 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
I love Froto.

He can come back to my hood!!

Can he detect crack cocaine?

There's lot's of that on Rutgers Ave., Ludlow, Chapel,

McAdoo, Rose etc.

I believe the handler knows a specific house on Rutgers...

What's taking so long?

There are some decent people around here...some are resorting to selling their homes they are so tired of the same crap.

We are a non UEZ zone so that means we won't be getting any camera's anytime soon.

Help us Froto!!!

You're our only hope.

Good Dog!!

Posted on: 2008/6/19 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
K-9 Units are invaluable for both civilian and military. It is also a non-lethal way to catch or find someone although I'd hate to be the person being "caught" by these dogs.

A lot of people don't realize how important they are in the military and the high regard and value placed upon the dogs. When the dogs are retired, the handler is given the option of keeping his partner. Years ago, retired dogs were used for training or euthanized. Attitudes have definitely changed.

The dogs' presence alone was the best deterrent at entry control points at bases in the war zone. During stateside apprehensions by military law enforcement, a non-compliant suspect changed his attitude when the k-9 unit arrived and the dog barked on the simple command of "talk sh*t."

One Air Force dog and his handler are credited with saving a former president's life when the animal detected an explosive packed vehicle along a travel route. The sophisticated explosives definitely would have killed a former president.

Although a few handlers and their dogs have been killed and wounded in the last few years because they are front and center during patrols, there is never a shortage of volunteers who want to become k-9 handlers.

Hats off!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/6/19 4:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 16:15
Group:
Banned
K-9s are nothing short of amazing. True heroes in the purest sense of the word.

I, too, hope that Froto is OK.

FYI: Jersey City has an outstanding K-9 unit. One officer is assigned to each district but all districts cooperate in the event of an emergency. The Unit consists of P.O. Louis Mecka and Froto, P.O. Darren Sorrentino and Max, P.O. Donald Williams and Samu, and P.O. Robert Farley and Joker.

The program was reintroduced into Jersey City by former JCPO Edward Martinez, himself a K-9 handler and highly respected K-9 training instructor with more than 12 years of K-9 training experience. The program was approved and established through private donations and funds from Homeland Security and made possible through a collaborative effort between Holmdel Township Chief of Police Raymond P. Wilson, Jersey City Director Sam Jefferson and Chief of Jersey City Police Thomas Comey, and the respective Mayors of Jersey City and Holmdel Township. Officer Martinez was in charge of the training. He was assisted by retired JC K-9 Officer Thomas Cox.,

The dogs were imported from the Czech Republic, where they received basic obedience training. Before they were paired as partners, the potential team of dog and police officer spent a month together in the police officer?s home, with his family, to see if they could establish a bond. If the pair bonded, the officer and his K-9 then spent more than 6 months in intensive training that included narcotics and explosives detection; tracking; evidence, field and building searches; and, patrol activities such as criminal apprehension and handler protection.

The training is tough, on both the dogs and the officers; but it needs to be, given what these dogs may be subjected to when they apprehend a suspect. Witness the abuse Froto received when he grabbed the suspect. But if the training is tough on the dogs, it is equally hard on the officers. The officers take turns role-playing the villain and have to experience the full impact, and bite, of a dog in pursuit. Although the officers are well protected in these sessions, I saw one training session where 65 lbs of rock-solid dog caught and knocked-over a 215 lb 6?3? officer, with the dog barely breaking his stride.

I was also privileged to see the very deep love and trust that forms between the dog and the officer. And when all the work and training was over, I was delighted to see the dogs revert to the ?goofy, funny, beautiful fur-covered balls of devotion? we all know and love.

Hats off to all the remarkable Jersey City K-9 Unit Officers and their outstanding K-9 partners!!! They deserve our support and respect.

Posted on: 2008/6/19 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
i never understood why criminals are stupid enough to do things as speed or run through red lights if they have things like drugs or guns on them. i guess they're not the brightest of the bunch. i hope the dog's ok

Posted on: 2008/6/18 11:49

Bergen Lafayette: Police dog's jaws halt fleeing suspect
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Police dog's jaws halt fleeing suspect

Wednesday, June 18, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

A Jersey City police dog scored his second takedown in a month Monday night, stopping a man who ran from a car holding a gun after a traffic stop, police reports said.

Cops pulled over a Honda Accord after it ran a red light at Clendenny and Bergen avenues at 11:40 p.m.; they were approaching the car when Marquis Moses, 23, of Union Street, jumped out of the passenger side, reports said.

Moses was carrying a fully loaded six-shot .357 Magnum as officers chased him east down Atlantic Street and then into an alley on Bramhall Avenue, police said.

Police dog Froto, a German Shepherd, followed him into a yard and latched on to his left arm, right calf and left calf in succession, as Moses threw the gun over a garage and then punched and kicked the dog, reports said.

An officer was finally able to cuff Moses, who was charged with several weapons offenses, receiving stolen property, resisting arrest and injuring a law enforcement animal. The gun was recovered in an Atlantic Street driveway and traced as stolen out of Virginia, police said.

Last month, Froto helped catch a man on Armstrong Avenue who was wanted on several outstanding warrants.

Posted on: 2008/6/18 11:05

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017