Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
58 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Proposed Increase in Beverage Container Deposit - Assembly Bill A121
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
No, they are picking them up because scrap aluminum is currently $1.30 a pound (although local scrap yards surely pay less to pickers.) Even without a deposit system, they are worth a few pennies each.

Quote:

rob3_nj wrote:
Second, we do have a $0.05 deposit in New Jersey. Hence the guys comming around on trash recycling night ripping open the recycling bags to get the cans and bottles to redeem and leaving a mess I have to clean up.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Even with deposits and recycling, most of the pizza & chinese places that serve bottled and canned soda don't have a separate trash can for those containers. This just illustrates the depth of the problem of dealing with it outside the home..

I agree there is a problem at most restaurants. Maybe the bottle deposit could be imposed on businesses only.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ansky wrote:
Quote:

rob3_nj wrote:

Second, we do have a $0.05 deposit in New Jersey. Hence the guys comming around on trash recycling night ripping open the recycling bags to get the cans and bottles to redeem and leaving a mess I have to clean up.

Since when is there a 5-cent deposit in NJ? I have lived in the state 12 years and have never paid it on any of the soda cans I've bought. I know NY has a deposit. When I lived in CT we had to pay a deposit and it is the most asinine thing in the world. There is nothing worse than having to save all your cans, bring them all back to the grocery store, and put them into a machine one by one to get your refund. With a weekly recylcing program there is no reason to impose a deposit.

Even with deposits and recycling, most of the pizza & chinese places that serve bottled and canned soda don't have a separate trash can for those containers. This just illustrates the depth of the problem of dealing with it outside the home..

Posted on: 2008/5/12 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rob3_nj wrote:

Since when is there a 5-cent deposit in NJ? I have lived in the state 12 years and have never paid it on any of the soda cans I've bought. I know NY has a deposit. When I lived in CT we had to pay a deposit and it is the most asinine thing in the world. There is nothing worse than having to save all your cans, bring them all back to the grocery store, and put them into a machine one by one to get your refund. With a weekly recylcing program there is no reason to impose a deposit.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCase wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

We need more of this "closing the disposal loop" legislation. I'd like to see a deposit on chewing gum to pay for the many thousands of man/hrs spend scraping it off sidewalks and from under furniture.

If you can't redeem the money, its not a deposit, but a fee. Charging a built in fee to cover the cost of removing gum will simply incentivize the act of leaving gum on sidewalks and under furniture.

A deposit is not precluded here. You could always return it after the flavor is used up.

Exactly, a little ziploc with each pack!. Seriously, you wouldn't believe what's spent just on the streets. The Brits think the manufacturers could make a biodegradable gum, but don't see a reason to.

Quote:
http://www.keepwalestidy.org/english/images/chewinggum.pdf

in the UK, with costs of ?100-150m for
cleaning up the residue against the ?322m expenditure
on the product, taxation would need to be in
the order of 31-47% to recoup the known economic
costs of chewing gum litter.

So if you could add in what interior spaces like schools and theaters spend on removal, gum likely cost more to remove than it's gross sales generate. So should gum be outlawed or would an economist say gum is good, that it generates jobs?

Posted on: 2008/5/12 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

We need more of this "closing the disposal loop" legislation. I'd like to see a deposit on chewing gum to pay for the many thousands of man/hrs spend scraping it off sidewalks and from under furniture.

If you can't redeem the money, its not a deposit, but a fee. Charging a built in fee to cover the cost of removing gum will simply incentivize the act of leaving gum on sidewalks and under furniture.

A deposit is not precluded here. You could always return it after the flavor is used up.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2008/5/12 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The main problem with the current laws is that they were written before a huge growth in noncarbonated beverages like snapple or water, which aren't covered by the deposits. This apparently remedies that, and increases the deposit to a point where it's worth it to return them. But any revenue from unredeemed deposit MUST go to supporting recycling, like paying for sorting the plastic/metal stream, or building an organic materials digester.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Now if this bill goes through, I will have the privilege of paying an extra 10 or 20 cents to do what I am all ready doing. This is a tax. The people who wrote this bill have already planned on using the deposit money we will not redeem.

I don't think you understand what a tax is. A tax is what you pay to the city to come collect the rubbish you leave in front of your house. A deposit is a fee you pay in advance as security to ensure a future action. In the case of a can and bottle deposit, its to ensure you recycle your cans and bottles. The fact that you return them without receiving a your deposit is no fault of the state. Nothing prevents you from seeking the deposit. Obviously it is easier for you to leave your recycling on the curb for collection by the city. Its also easier to not bother cleaning up a leased apartment at the end of the lease, but most people do because they don't wish to forfeit their deposit.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 13:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 18:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
First of all I am from Jersey city, I moved down here from Sussex County in 1995. I live downtown on Manila Ave and I love it here.

I believe in recycling, and I practice it in my home. I separate my trash and put it out every Thursday night. Now if this bill goes through, I will have the privilege of paying an extra 10 or 20 cents to do what I am all ready doing. This is a tax. The people who wrote this bill have already planned on using the deposit money we will not redeem.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 8:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I read this with horror as I contemplated the fortune in deposits that I have lost since I moved to NJ. Fortunately I just referred to the beverage most closely at hand and confirmed that there is no deposit in NJ. Whew!

The story must have come from somewhere other than NJ, although an increase from nothing would still be an increase. I don't regard a reasonable bottle/can deposit as a tax. Rather, I regard it as returning an economic "externality" to the sellers and consumers of potential litter. Remedying externalities is one of the few roles that I see for the government in the economy. In the case of the bottle/can deposits it puts the costs where they belong and furthermore provides a source of income to those who have few other options.

When I was a kid in rural upstate NY people would throw their empty beer cans out of their cars along the road that we lived on (this was back when DWI was a sport). When we went for walks we would pick them up and curse them. The problem mostly stopped once the bottle bill passed (and we were happy to pick up the "money" from those who didn't care).

Quote:

rob3_nj wrote:
[snip]

In reality this is a tax, not a deposit. When was the last time any of you redeemed the $0.05 deposit currently on soda bottles and cans? For me it has been years. The redemption centers are not located in convenient places, and the same can be said for beverage distributors, and try to redeem a soda can at a retail store.

[another snip]

Posted on: 2008/5/12 2:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/29 19:49
Group:
Registered Users
I don't mind an increase either and I think there are good reasons for it. It will probably decrease the amount of recyclables in the waste stream and prevent or decrease some litter.

Even if it didn't do those things we have to consider the effect all of these containers have on our waste stream and landfill/ocean. The amount of trash generated daily by an individual in the U.S. is really remarkable. Any way to reduce the "waste" part of it is fine in my book.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Great idea, but I think the deposit should be more like $0.50.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 1:42

Proposed Increase in Beverage Container Deposit - Assembly Bill A121

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 18:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It is called the ?Smart Container Act? and was sponsored by Assemblywoman Valerie Vainieri Huttle of Bergen County. On Monday, May 12, 2008, the bill will be discussed in the Assembly Environment Committee.

The bill proposes that all beverage containers of 24 ounces or less sold in the state have a deposit of $0.10 added to the price and all beverage containers above 24 ounces to 3 liter have a deposit of $0.20. It also includes proposed projects that the unclaimed deposit money be applied to.

I know that this is not the first time that this proposed legislation has been sponsored in the Assembly but, in the light of the current budget problems, it may have a better chance to get through committee this year.

In reality this is a tax, not a deposit. When was the last time any of you redeemed the $0.05 deposit currently on soda bottles and cans? For me it has been years. The redemption centers are not located in convenient places, and the same can be said for beverage distributors, and try to redeem a soda can at a retail store.

I have already sent off email messages to the committee members stating that I am against this bill going any further. You can get to the messaging software through the New Jersey Website.

Posted on: 2008/5/11 23:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017