Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Finding an apartment assistance needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
When I rented my apartment the landlord paid the broker's fee. It is probably more common than you think. It helps them rent out the place faster due to people like yourself (and me) who do not want to pay the fee.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 15:59

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/25 1:50
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think there really is a way to avoid paying a broker's fee unless you get lucky and stumble on a craigslists no fee ad or wander by a place with a FOR RENT sign in the window.

So basically, do what you're already doing. I'm such a huge help, aren't I?

Personally, I have no problem paying a broker if that person is actively looking for an apartment for me. They're providing a service and deserve to be compensated for it. However, when the prospective tenent is the one to find the apartment and all the broker does is open the door to let that person in to view it, paying a month's rent for that really sucks. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I were a broker though.

I hope your friend has luck finding a good place!

Posted on: 2008/5/8 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
By trying to avoid a broker you are cutting out 75% of the listings in the heights. you are also going to do alot more "walking" before you find a decent apartment.

Many broker listings in the heights are reduced fee or no fee to the tenants. The landlord picks up the tab.

I know most of you say a broker doesnt deserve to earn a commision on a rental. Spending nights and weekends to show 1 apartment 10-20 times before it finally rents doesnt deserve compensation but sitting behind a desk and instant mesaging friends all day deserves a raise, kidding, well kind of.

Get over your "brokerphobia" and pick up the phone. Just make sure the broker specializes in the heights.

Posted on: 2008/5/8 14:12

Finding an apartment assistance needed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/3 10:24
Group:
Registered Users
A friend is looking for a place in the Heights. We have been walking up and down streets, taking notes (phone numbers, etc.), and have looked on craigslist too (must be a slow season...not much out there). She is looking for a studio, or 1-bedroom apt.

Any ideas where else we can check? Online sources would be helpful too...we are trying to avoid going to a realtor.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/5/8 13:09

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017