Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Let the Mayoral Campaigning Begin (I've been Push Polled)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/15 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
is Steve Lipski still going to run with Healy or has the HCDO gotten rid of him?

Posted on: 2008/3/1 10:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Did they say they were going to send out an e-mail newsletter or were they refering to someone else's?

Posted on: 2008/2/27 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
to be honest, although i'm not a hardcore healy supporter (or anti-healy either), the push poll didn't really sway my view of him at all. it was really noticeable how they kept using 'embarrassment to jersey city', 'drunk', and other negative terms. and while i didnt know much about manzo's accomplishments, the poll also did little to help me like him more. the one thing i hoped to get out of it (they mentioned a possible e-newsletter that would cover the mayoral candidates and their positions on issues) was really a non -factor since i don't think they ever took my email address or anything like that (i guess it'd be wise to see who is putting out the newsletter since if it's obviously biased then what good is that right? lol).

btw - does anyone know of any newsletters that exist like the one i mentioned? most of my (limited) knowledge of local politics comes from places like nj.com or this forum, but it'd be cool to get more info from other places

Posted on: 2008/2/27 18:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The only connection between the words "push" and "polling" is that they appear in one sentence.

What's going on here is that the local pols now have access to cheap, computerized dialling technology. It's going to be the push poll wars, instead of naked photos on the telephone polls. There's no real polling going on at all.

It's all just a smokescreen to smear opponents cheaply without having the cost of sending all those direct mailing pieces.

Bottom-line, the purpose of "push polls" is to spread rumours and even outright lies about opponents. (Fits right in with our local style.)

These efforts are not polls, but political manipulation trying to hide behind the smokescreen of a public opinion survey.

In a "push poll," a large number of people are called by telephone and asked to participate in a purported survey.

The survey "questions" are really thinly-veiled accusations against an opponent or repetitions of rumours about a candidate's personal or professional behaviour.

The focus here is on making certain the respondent hears and understands the accusation in the question, not in gathering the respondent's opinions.

All the best.

G

Posted on: 2008/2/27 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So just because this poll is being taken Healy tried to pre-emtively spin the results by saying his own poll has everyone in love with him.

What will he say when this poll has him at about 35%????

Posted on: 2008/2/27 15:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/4 1:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I got the call over the weekend. They did mention the drunken Healy stuff. But they did have a list of his positives. But all three times when they asked who I would vote for Mayor I said Fulop, who was also an option.

Posted on: 2008/2/26 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
i got the phone call last night too and decided to go through with the poll (i live in the heights). i too had the negative healy questions and the pro manzo questions, which def. led me to believe it was a pro manzo sorta thing.

my options for answers would randomly switch between numbers (1-5 etc.) or words (most likely lead me to vote for him.. least likely etc), so i dont think that has any bearing on whether they were 2 diff. types of polls or not.

i was surprised to hear schundler's name on the list of candidates - is he actually going to run again?

edit - i'm in my 20's too if that makes a difference. also in the first batch of asking me how likely i was to vote for manzo, i said not likely or something to that effect, after which i was asked about the negative healy stuff and pro manzo stuff.

Posted on: 2008/2/26 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Check out this article on polls in Jersey City from PoliticsNJ

Posted on: 2008/2/26 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There both Manzo polls.
The more elaborate one is for testing Healys weaknesses but by the time they are done you know its Manzo.
The shorter one is just a horse race poll on who you would vote for.If you answered the horse race questions at the end of the first poll your answers might be skewed by all the questions at the beginning.

Posted on: 2008/2/26 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Grovester...get this,

I just heard from someone who is in their 20's, lives in Ward B and they had a poll just like your poll. How odd is that, a candidate doing totally different scripts at the same time. And, this person and I both selected the exact same person as our #1 choice for Mayor. So, I'm wondering if it was preselected who would get what script or two candidates were using the same polling company (that does happen, but rarely this early in the game).

Posted on: 2008/2/26 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

grovester wrote:
Pink - So your call didn't mention Healy's arrest or "wrestled to the ground naked," "tax breaks for his 'cronies,'" his connections with the "corrupt" HCDO, whether he is "an embarrassment to the city" or anything like that?

Did you have the two sets of questions - about Healy (all the bad things, are they "convincing" arguments against voting for him) and about Manzo (all the good things, are the "convincing" arguments to vote for him)?

The only thing I could think is that maybe they switch to a different script depending on who say you'd vote for the first time they ask you? (i.e. if you answer the "right" way they've got no reason to spend their time pushing you?)

mrrogers Quote:
That wasn't really a push poll,it was more than likely trying to find out what are Healys major weaknesses.

I don't know, you could be right. It wasn't as if the caller would tell me, "Yes, I am conducting a push poll." But it was an 18 minute phone call total, and about 10 minutes of it was spent on Healy's "weaknesses" and Manzo's "strengths." I think that is part of what made me feel like it was a push poll: This idea that "We've got you on the phone for what you think is a 'poll' but instead you're just a captive audience for a 10 minute commercial for the candidate."

I don't have any incentive to make anything up. I like Lou Manzo. I didn't say that I would vote for him the first time or the second time I was asked.

And, if you know 10 people that got the calls, that might support the fact that it's a push poll. Regular polling only needs a small sample size to get a reliable result, the goal of push polling is to "survey" as many people as possible to get the message out.

I live in Ward E.

Grove. When they asked me who I would vote for there was 2- I said Likely, 3- I had in the middle and 4- were no's. The folks who I know that also received this call all had different favorable Mayoral candidates. The same questions they asked about the current Mayor they asked about the rest.

It will be interesting to hear from the other listers and I wonder what made them pick and choose what questions were asked.

The poll didn't give me any indication who was doing the poll, (until the pollster told me). It was all very basic almost seemed like they were trying to get an indication how they should run their campaign to get the votes.

The folks who received the same type of poll as me, mostly live in Downtown a few in Ward D and me in Ward B all were over 35, both male and female.

Posted on: 2008/2/24 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
"On a scale of very important being 1 and not important being 4, how do you feel about the following questions i.e. Taxes, crimes, schools etc."

Also, strangely, mine never used numbers. It was always "Very favorable, somewhat favorable, not very favorable, or not favorable at all," or something like that. ("Very convincing, somewhat convincing, not very convincing, not convincing at all.")

This stood out in my mind, because I kept forgetting what the choices were, and I thought it would have been easier if they just used numbers.

Posted on: 2008/2/24 14:50
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pink - So your call didn't mention Healy's arrest or "wrestled to the ground naked," "tax breaks for his 'cronies,'" his connections with the "corrupt" HCDO, whether he is "an embarrassment to the city" or anything like that?

Did you have the two sets of questions - about Healy (all the bad things, are they "convincing" arguments against voting for him) and about Manzo (all the good things, are the "convincing" arguments to vote for him)?

The only thing I could think is that maybe they switch to a different script depending on who say you'd vote for the first time they ask you? (i.e. if you answer the "right" way they've got no reason to spend their time pushing you?)

mrrogers Quote:
That wasn't really a push poll,it was more than likely trying to find out what are Healys major weaknesses.

I don't know, you could be right. It wasn't as if the caller would tell me, "Yes, I am conducting a push poll." But it was an 18 minute phone call total, and about 10 minutes of it was spent on Healy's "weaknesses" and Manzo's "strengths." I think that is part of what made me feel like it was a push poll: This idea that "We've got you on the phone for what you think is a 'poll' but instead you're just a captive audience for a 10 minute commercial for the candidate."

I don't have any incentive to make anything up. I like Lou Manzo. I didn't say that I would vote for him the first time or the second time I was asked.

And, if you know 10 people that got the calls, that might support the fact that it's a push poll. Regular polling only needs a small sample size to get a reliable result, the goal of push polling is to "survey" as many people as possible to get the message out.

I live in Ward E.

Posted on: 2008/2/24 14:47
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
where do I get my information about my government...Newspaper, Internet or TV,

I hope you told them The Daily Show

Posted on: 2008/2/24 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
where do I get my information about my government...Newspaper, Internet or TV,

I hope you told them The Daily Show

Posted on: 2008/2/24 11:44
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
I too was polled and my questions were nothing like the ones you had. The poll was done by Manzo (according to the pollster.)

The names they mentioned in the poll were Healy, Smith, Cassidy,Cunningham, Schundler, Manzo, Fulop, and Mcann.

The questions were all very basic...
"How likely are you to vote in the JC Mayoral Election",
"Do you have a favorable opinion of that person or unfavorable." ,
"On a scale of very important being 1 and not important being 4, how do you feel about the following questions i.e. Taxes, crimes, schools etc."

There was more of these types of questions and ended the same way as Grovesters poll: general questions about what newspapers I read, how often I go to church and whether I'm part of a labor union, where do I get my information about my government...Newspaper, Internet or TV, my age, ethnic background and household income.

My caller ID had the same number as Grovesters poll for the exception of the last two digits.

I know about 10 people so far that received the same call and all were like mine, and nothing like Grovesters'.

I forgot , Lipski was also one of the names mentioned.

Posted on: 2008/2/24 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:
That makes no sense since a good poll never asks two sets of questions.
Anybody else get called???

I thought the same thing, and this is why I replied. The other folks who had my type of poll live in Wards B, D and E.

Posted on: 2008/2/24 1:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That makes no sense since a good poll never asks two sets of questions.
Anybody else get called???

Posted on: 2008/2/24 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
I too was polled and my questions were nothing like the ones you had. The poll was done by Manzo (according to the pollster.)

The names they mentioned in the poll were Healy, Smith, Cassidy,Cunningham, Schundler, Manzo, Fulop, and Mcann.

The questions were all very basic...
"How likely are you to vote in the JC Mayoral Election",
"Do you have a favorable opinion of that person or unfavorable." ,

There was more of these types of questions and ended the same way as Grovesters poll: general questions about what newspapers I read, how often I go to church and whether I'm part of a labor union, where do I get my information about my government...Newspaper, Internet or TV, my age, ethnic background and household income.

My caller ID had the same number as Grovesters poll for the exception of the last two digits.

I know about 10 people so far that received the same call and all were like mine, and nothing like Grovesters'.

Posted on: 2008/2/24 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Who were the other candidates that were mentioned?

Loonie Lou is on a suicide mission for Mayor.

Posted on: 2008/2/24 0:54

Let the Mayoral Campaigning Begin (I've been Push Polled)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So starts the 2009 Mayoral Campaigning season.

I got a call this afternoon from, what I'm guessing is a "push poll" by Lou Manzo.

There were some general questions about what issues I thought were important for the city, what I thought of certain city and state politicians, etc.

Then I was asked "if the 2009 mayoral election were held tomorrow..." who would I vote for? (Followed by a list of 9-or-so names).

Then there questions about Healy - including whether or not he was "an embarassment to the city," something about him allowing tax abatements for his "cronies," and ties to the "corrupt" HCDO. There was many more questions, and the context was whether I thought they were strong arguments against voting for Healy. I was also asked about the fact that he was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, or that he was once wrestled naked... I think I lost track of that question somewhere... something about police responding to a noise disturbance. (I just kept thinking "Did he say naked?") And whether these were convincing arguments against voting for Healy.

Then there was a set of questions about Manzo - listing some of his accomplishments in the state assembly, such as making insurers pay for MRIs for breast cancer, laws against sex offenders using the internet, tougher penalties for gang involvement in crimes, laws allowing expungements for nonviolent criminal convictions, etc. - and whether I thought they were convincing arguments for voting for him.

It seemed to me that the "poll" was more about getting me to listen to 10 minutes of good things about Manzo and bad things about Healy. But I thought it was interesting that Manzo's camp must think that the election is between him and Healy. (What, is Fulop not a threat? Or do they just not have enough dirt to make up questions about him?)

There were also a few questions about other NJ politicians - Schundler, McCann, etc.

Then I was asked again "if the 2009 mayoral election were held today" with the same candidates. I guess the idea is whether someone would switch to Manzo after hearing the arguments?

Finally, there were some general questions about what newspapers I read, how often I go to church and whether I'm part of a labor union.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there as general interest. If you see 702-932-3404 on your caller ID, pick it up, and you can hear the questions for yourself.

Posted on: 2008/2/23 22:43

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017