Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

TOO MANY CHIEFS?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
TOO MANY CHIEFS?

Jersey Journal
Monday, February 25, 2008

Three weeks ago, Jersey City promoted 17 firefighters to captains, increasing the number of the city's bravest holding that rank from 139 to 156.

The promotions were necessary, we were told, to implement a new policy of assigning a captain to every fire rig, around the clock, in the department. The new superiors also would hold down overtime costs, we were told.

Turns out that's not exactly accurate.

You see, instead of barreling through the city on engines and pumpers while responding to fires, six of the 17 newly minted captains - each of whom cost the city about $94,474 a year - have been assigned to the JCFD Fire Prevention Bureau, where one of them mans a Sparky the Dog costume and others utilize props like Buzz E. Smoke Alarm to teach grade schoolers what to do in fire emergencies.

That, to be sure, is a noble and useful goal. Who can be against teaching youngsters how to respond in a fire emergency?

But do we really need a $94,474-a-year captain to do it?

It's also hard to see how this will help the department save on overtime costs - which totaled roughly $1.3 million in 2007.

Line captains, deployed in the city's fire houses, follow a 24-hours-on, 72-hours-off work schedule. Not so for the Fire Prevention Bureau, which is open for business from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., five days a week.

I was told the bureau is a temporary assignment for these new captains, but not how long temporary lasts.

Perhaps the Fire Prevention Bureau was understaffed before the new captains came on board. After all, its current roster only includes a deputy chief, a captain and two firefighters.

I mean, really. Is this any way to throw around money in a city struggling to hold down property taxes?

And while we're on the topic of the JCFD: on Jan. 25th, several days after that last batch of captains was sworn in, the department held a ceremony at City Hall to promote Battalion Chief George Johns to deputy chief.

The promotion seemed to catch many city officials by surprise. I asked several just before the ceremony was scheduled to begin and they said they weren't aware of the impending promotion. In fact, Fire Chief Bill Sinnott told me he'd been told just a day earlier.

In an e-mail, Fire Director Armando Roman wrote that the promotion was no mystery - the department's table of organization calls for 12 deputy chiefs, and Johns is No. 12.

But, Mr. Roman, I have some other questions.

When I asked you for the department's table of organization, you sent me a list with the number of civilians as well as the number and rank of uniformed officers currently in the department for the years 2006 and 2008. Where was 2007? And where is the chart showing who reports to whom?

And what about the study on the JCFD, conducted by the Department of Community Affairs in July 2003, that said the department needs far fewer supervisors. The report recommended the city maintain a force of 451 firefighters, 109 captains, 17 battalion chiefs and four deputy chiefs.

Our current numbers: 414 firefighters, 156 captains, 28 battalion chiefs and 12 deputy chiefs.

If we went by the state's numbers, wouldn't it save the city money?

Posted on: 2008/2/25 16:22

Re: Earl Morgan's Corner: That $25G donation had 'nothing to do' with fire promotions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shane612 wrote:
There are a few of us old dinosaurs left who haved lived in JC all our lives. One can take shots at the cops, there are issues there (although there a plenty of good ones for sure). The fire department, however, has always been fantastic. Too many chiefs? Maybe....I never realized it before. But if you ever need the fire-fighters of JC, and I hope you don't, you will see a professional and proud group that responds fast and thoroughly.
Before the cynics have a field day with this, let me at least state that I'm not a fire-fighter, just a citizen who has seen the department in action and heard from many others who needed them.

I agree with you to a point shane - but lets recap the past 6 months:

1. Capt stealing from homes
2. Son of firefighter fails psych test, but gets in ahead of others.
3. firefighter drugged up and assaults cops.

I believe Healy knows he is going to get the ass from JC and is rewarding those that met his needs and his stakeholders needs - I do agree that the JCFD is doing a good job, but I also believe that SOME are 'dead wood' and collecting huge incomes.

I'd like to see 1/2 of the capt's dumped / paid-off for frontline firefighters.

Posted on: 2008/1/19 19:16
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: Earl Morgan's Corner: That $25G donation had 'nothing to do' with fire promotions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

shane612 wrote:
There are a few of us old dinosaurs left who haved lived in JC all our lives. One can take shots at the cops, there are issues there (although there a plenty of good ones for sure). The fire department, however, has always been fantastic. Too many chiefs? Maybe....I never realized it before. But if you ever need the fire-fighters of JC, and I hope you don't, you will see a professional and proud group that responds fast and thoroughly.
Before the cynics have a field day with this, let me at least state that I'm not a fire-fighter, just a citizen who has seen the department in action and heard from many others who needed them.

That sounds all great, support the FD, the PD, and the troops in Iraq!!

But, are you a veteran? What would you think of the fighting ability of an army composed of 28% Colonels and generals? Sounds like what you'd find in a banana republic, which is what JC looks like way too often.

Posted on: 2008/1/19 18:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/4 18:24
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/1/18 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Amazing. More than 1 in 4 firefighters is a chief or higher. All chiefs and no indians. Assuming there's another chunk that are desk jockeys, just who actually fights the fires? Next you'll hear that they're understaffed....

Posted on: 2008/1/18 16:59

Earl Morgan's Corner: That $25G donation had 'nothing to do' with fire promotions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
That $25G donation had 'nothing to do' with fire promotions

Friday, January 18, 2008
Earl Morgan
Jersey Journal

Rumors began circulating early in December that Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy's administration was planning to promote a bunch of firefighters to the rank of captain. Just before Christmas, the grapevine began buzzing about a bash that was thrown to celebrate promotions in the Fire Department, promotions that had not yet been announced.

Then, late Wednesday, The Jersey Journal received a call from Jersey City Fire Director Armando Roman announcing a ceremony today to promote 26 firefighters to the rank of captain. The event will be held in the Margaret Williams Auditorium at New Jersey City University at 11 a.m.

Roman confirmed he organized and hosted the pre-holiday affair, dubbed "Firefighters and Friends of Jerramiah Healy," with tickets priced at $150 and $500. He also acknowledged presenting Healy with a $25,000 campaign donation during the affair, but emphatically denied that the fund-raiser had anything to do with the promotions.

"I would never do that," Roman said when asked about the juxtaposition of the fund-raiser and the promotions.

"Believe me, if it was about promotions the ticket prices would have been much higher. The mayor is planning to hold a fund-raiser in February. If the donation was tied to the promotions, (February) would have been a better time to do it."

Currently there are 600 firefighters in the Jersey City Fire Department. Of that number, 130 are captains, another 28 are battalion chiefs and 11 hold the rank of deputy chief. So, including Roman and Chief William Sinnott, 171 of the 600 members of the department are ranking officers. That's 28.5 percent.

As far as what these promotions will cost taxpayers - well, firefighters start with a base salary of $41,000 a year and, under the current labor contract, receive annual increases for seven years, topping out at $83,666 a year. A new captain begins with an annual salary of $98,474 a year and receives increases to a maximum of $110,000 a year. These are base figures and don't include longevity increases or overtime pay.

Jersey City officials are struggling, as we speak, to hold down municipal spending in an effort to forestall a property tax increase. Promoting 26 firefighters to captains seems to be a strange way to accomplish that goal.

On the other hand, as Jennifer Morrill, a spokeswoman for Healy, said in a statement issued from the Mayor's Office: "The decision to promote the new captains was triggered by the need to curtail overtime, fill vacancies in the rank resulting from retirements and staff the newly created high-rise unit. Our firefighters deserve the full protection we can give them."

There is no argument that Jersey City's Bravest should have the manpower and equipment needed to do their job. Like Roman, Morrill declared the promotions had nothing to do with the $25,000 donation. But Morrill did add that the mayor was concerned about the public perception of the timing of the two events.

Of course, to allay any suspicion or cynical reaction, the mayor could have declined to take the money.

Posted on: 2008/1/18 14:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017