Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: How do I start an online petition?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
You might want to check out The Drug Policy Alliance. http://www.drugpolicy.org/homepage.cfm

It sounds like it might give you some good ideas about the steps you want to take for change.

Posted on: 2007/12/31 3:22
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
There is something in NJ called an expungement, it allows you to get a criminal conviction or a criminal arrest cleared from your record after a certain period of good behavior. Once your case has been expunged, it also allows you to legally (and "honestly") answer "no" if asked if you've ever been arrested.

Not every type of conviction is eligible, and the length of the waiting period varies. It really depends what the person's "mistake" was. If it was a first time small-amount drug arrest, there's a good chance the case gets downgraded, or he'll go through something like PTI or Conditional Discharge, which is a period of probation after which the case gets dismissed. 6 months after that dismissal, the case is eligible for expungement. Assuming this person has not had any further arrests.

However, if the case involved a lot of drugs ("possession with intent"), or a sale to drugs, it might not be eligible. On the other hand, if the person was 21 or under they might be eligible after a year (the "young drug offender" exception.) It really depends on what the person ultimately pled guilty to, or was found guilty of. Some types of convictions require a 10 year waiting period without any further arrests.

For the most part, violent crimes, sex crimes, etc. are not expungible, but, again, it depends what you ultimately pled guilty to. In NY, convictions can never be expunged.

Here's the NJ laws, if you're interested in reading them (I don't know the owner of this website to know that it's fully accurate/updated.): http://www.njexpungements.com/law.php

I think that you should try getting in touch with Lou Manzo's office. I remember hearing a few months or a year back that he was trying to expand the expungement laws to include more drug crimes. http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/manzo.asp

Finally, this isn't legal advice. (This is free, legal advice isn't.) If you think that the person/people you're trying to help might be eligible for an expungement, you should contact a lawyer who does this type of work, and ask him or her about it.

But it's probably better not to waste your time on a petition if there's already a law on the books that does what you're trying to accomplish, or a legislator already working on the same issues.

Posted on: 2007/12/30 14:18
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/24 18:10
Group:
Registered Users
What Im trying to do is to stop this society from making/creating further drug dealers. We've become a zero tolerance place. If you mess up, get arrested and become a felon, then your chances of getting a job are between zil and nil. So Im tired of it. I know several ppl that have made mistakes in their youth and here it is years later they are still unemployed because of the felony on their jacket. So if you cant get a job, what is left? welfare? no. welfare doesnt help felons. Ok, so if no job will hire you and welfare will not take you...what does that leave you with? the only jobs that are available to felons are drugs, robbery, etc. More felonies!! So I think its time that they take that off the applications. Let these people have a second chance. Let them go out there and WORK for their money. Allow them to become productive and pay taxes. If we become so intolerant, then we have no one to blame but ourselves when we get robbed or we are annoyed by the dealers on the corners or the sick and suffering who are in need of their drugs and will hurt/kill someone in order to get them.

And for the record, I love a felon. I will support anyone that wants a second chance. AS long as they want to work and pay taxes and live a productive life, then Im all for it. Better to see them working, than to see them hustling.

And please, for those that have their noses high in the sky and look down upon those with a prison record, dont post anything ugly. You have your pet causes and I have mine. One person can make a difference if they want it bad enough. I want to see these people make something of themselves. REGARDLESS of their pasts. Alot of them want to become productive citizens and their past wont allow it.

So if anyone is willing to help me start a petition and show me how to take my next steps. I know what I want to accomplish, I just dont know how to make it happen. I need advice, not criticism or anyone dragging up my posts and placing them up on here. Im not here to offend, but to give others a second chance. I want to build a community not destroy one. So who is willing to lend a helping hand?? Anyone? Dont be shy. Stand up and let your voice be heard!!

Posted on: 2007/12/30 6:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
What are you trying to do?

Posted on: 2007/12/28 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
If you're a liberal I'd email Steven Fulop and ask him for advice. I'm sure he'd be happy to get back to you with helpful information and goodwill. Politicians like corresponding with motivated voters.

info@stevenfulop.com

If you're a conservative email someone from the Hudson County Republican Party.

Good luck. (Unless it's a sucky right wing initiative. )

Posted on: 2007/12/28 0:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
You need to collect 1500 signatures for a ballot initiative.

Posted on: 2007/12/27 21:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ok, point taken. I would like to start a paper petition. Now does anyone know how many signatures I would need? And exactly where do I begin my quest for change? I really know nothing about this process. However, I believe with all my heart in the cause that I am sticking up for. Can anyone help?

Posted on: 2007/12/27 21:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/9 20:30
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Online petitions are a complete waste of time. They simply don't work, and they don't get anyone's attention. If you want to do something productive, I would suggest starting an e-mail or letter writing campaign. You could also do a real paper petition. Online petitions are really just a joke in the eyes of anyone they're targeted to.

Posted on: 2007/12/27 21:27

How do I start an online petition?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How do I start an online petition? I want to see some changes made in our community. (Hudson County in general)

Posted on: 2007/12/27 20:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017