Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Healy proposes legislation to release names of violent juvenile offenders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Does Healy qualify as a violent offender with his convictions!

Posted on: 2007/9/29 16:13
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: Healy proposes legislation to release names of violent juvenile offenders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like grandstanding to me - this will never fly.

Posted on: 2007/9/29 15:29

Healy proposes legislation to release names of violent juvenile offenders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Releasing the names

Healy proposes legislation to release names of violent juvenile offenders

Ricardo Kaulessar
Jersey City Reporter -- 09/28/2007

SITE OF VIOLENT ATTACK ? This is the corner of Bramhall Avenue and Seidler Street, near where a 60-year-old was attacked by a gang of young men.
Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy wants the public to know which violent juvenile offenders live in their neighborhoods.

At a recent press conference in City Hall, Healy announced that he plans to push legislation on a state level that would allow the release of the names of violent juvenile offenders under the age of 18.

"We believe that knowledge is important and believe people should know who the criminals are in their community," said Healy at the Sept. 19 press conference.

Healy said the legislation would follow in the footsteps of Megan's Law, a law first passed in New Jersey in 1994 that later became federal. It requires law enforcement to notify the public about sex offenders who move into a community.

Healy's proposal comes on the heels of a violent summer in Jersey City, as a number of incidents took place across the city in which teens attacked adults.

Juveniles, even violent offenders, have been accorded anonymity under state law. As a rule of thumb, newspapers do not publish the names of anyone under the age of 18 involved in a crime.

But some people interviewed last week said they welcome the release or publication of the names of young people if it will help stem further violent attacks.

Juvenile and adult justice

An expert in juvenile justice who did not want to be named said that in New Jersey, juveniles are usually tried in family court on charges of juvenile delinquency, but a judge can send them to adult criminal court if the juvenile is deemed "sufficiently violent."

But the expert said that there is a reason for concealing of the identity of most juveniles.

"The point of juvenile justice is the juvenile can be rehabilitated," the expert said.

Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio, who confirmed that Healy met with him before he made his announcement, said he would have to see the legislation to have an opinion.

"I think there are a limited number of juveniles who, when charged with violent crimes and are 16 or 17, their names should be released," DeFazio said. "Certainly in the case of homicide, serious aggravated assault, or assault with a weapon."

Attacks by both genders

This past summer, there were several incidents in Jersey City of teenagers committing violent "wolf pack" attacks. The term "punkettes" has been used recently in the media for an all-girl gang.

Last Tuesday night, it was reported that a group of girls robbed and attacked a woman in her 20s as she was walking north on Monmouth Street. They pulled her hair, dragging her to the ground.

On Aug. 25, five young persons were responsible for several beatings, including an attack on a Vietnam veteran, which the juveniles also videotaped.

Chief Thomas Comey expressed disgust at a Sept. 19 press conference in which he announced the attackers had video taped some of their assaults.

Charges were eventually filed against Jarrik Taylor, 18, of Harlem, and four juveniles ranging in age from 13 to 17, including a girl. Police said the five will be tried as adults.

In June, a woman in her forties was attacked on Varick Street by a 16-year old male in such a manner that she needs to wear braces and to have a year of reconstructive work on her teeth and jaw. The 16-year old was eventually arrested.

Healy's stance

Last week, Healy said of his legislation, "It has been in the back of my mind for some time, especially when I hear about a heinous juvenile offense. The latest videotaped 'wilding' incident has served as the catalyst to move for this legislation."

Healy said he consulted with Police Chief Comey, Police Director Samuel Jefferson, and DeFazio on his proposed legislation before making his announcement. He says he plans in the future to meet state legislators about getting this legislation introduced.

He also said so far he has received support from legal authorities and various members of the public.

Support from state official

Among those supporting him is State Assemblywoman Joan Quigley (NJ-32nd Dist.), who represents much of the west side of Jersey City.

"When Mayor Healy says something about crime, I take it seriously, as he is a lawyer, a former prosecutor and a former judge," Quigley said.

Quigley said Healy had not spoken to her before he made his announcement, but was planning to meet Healy this past Thursday night.

"I asked the folks in the state's Office of Legislative Services about [Healy's] legislation, and what they have suggested is to propose legislation that would make it easier for teens, from 15 years and up, to be prosecuted as adults," Quigley said. "They would have either engaged in a violent act or in a pattern of violent activity."

Quigley added, "People are frightened now by the increasing percentage of juveniles involved in crime. If they are tried as adults, they will lose all the benefits of anonymity, their records won't be sealed, and they may think twice."

Quigley said this legislation would not be introduced until the State Legislature goes back into session after Thanksgiving.

Mixed reactions

Standing in front of a building on the corner of Bramhall Avenue and Seidler Street, near the site of an attack on a 60-year old Vietnam veteran in August, Loretta Lowe recalled being the victim of an attack last summer on the corner of Ocean and Orient avenues.

"Just walking, minding my own business, all little boys about 7 [years old], eight of them all hitting me with tree limbs," Lowe said. "If I had a gun, I would have shot every last one of them."

Lowe was definitely in agreement that names of young people should be released.

"Yes, yes; this way the neighbors would know who's staying next door to them," Lowe said. "I don't give a damn if they are 13 or 14, especially what they did to that [Vietnam vet]; yes, their names should be publicized."

City Councilwoman Viola Richardson said she didn't know enough about the legislation to comment specifically on it, other than what she read of Mayor Healy's announcement. But she said she was "conflicted" on how she felt about his proposal, based on her experience working with ex-convicts and juvenile offenders as a Jersey City police officer and currently as a Hudson County employee. She has seen some of them turn their lives around.

"On one hand, I feel like some of these crimes are so heinous that it rises to the level of life imprisonment," Richardson said. "There's also a part of me that feels the need of some levels to protect the juvenile."

However, a longtime activist who works with youth in the city, who wanted to be anonymous, said she had "a problem" with Healy's proposal.

"Publicizing their names in the paper," she said, "this could ruin their lives forever."

For comments on the story, contact Ricardo Kaulessar at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com.

Posted on: 2007/9/29 14:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017