Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
128 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 128

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Political Insider: Mayor Fulop's on-line opinion promotes New Urbanism
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The next abatement is on Senate Place which is one block from India Square. Parking as you know is extremely tight there. This development calls for 266 units but 128 parking spots. I call this poor urban planning. At one time former Councilwoman Nidia Lopez suggest this empty lot should be used for parking for India Square customers which comes from different part of NJ and NY to shop there. I remember when McKinley Square went down hill, the a parking lot was sold which eventually became Hudson Catholic High School. I do support Catholic education but merchants/customers could not find a place to park, business went away and the place became what it is now.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The mayor changed the policy on parking which was one to one ratio, he promoted this policy as councilman for downtown. Why? The developer can make more money on retail space. But let?s get realistic; JC has an aging population with arthritis, heart disease, or other problems that makes walking difficult. You also have parents who must bring children to doctors, dentists, etc but the city has an unreliable transportation system. Buses/lite rail do not go many parts of the city. Why should the rest of the city inherit the problems of downtown? Also groceries stores are not close by as they are in downtown so residents use cars.

Because not one of the buildings with one to one parking used all of the spaces? We have a bunch of half empty decks downtown because the people living here simply don't own as many cars as expected.

I have plenty of problems with Fulop, but not mandating parking that will never be used is not one of them. This is planning 101, find out how much of a resource is actually being used and then design the buildings around that.

I have to agree with Yvonne, I know of people who were lucky to get the last parking space in high rise buildings with .8 (ratio) parking. Let us agree that parking is at a premium for most of us in JC, especially in mid and high rises) that were not built with 1:1 parking. I will not even mention low-rise brownstones with multiple units and no parking.

If more families (priced out of NYC) are moving into JC or if new and old residents who work hours and places in JC where there is unsafe or no public transportation, then this is a quality of life issue which must be taken into consideration.

I envy your situation moobycow in which there is excess parking in your building and wish it were mine, but as I trudge through snow and ice to reach my partially covered space- I count myself lucky to at least have off-street parking.

I think our government has to take into consideration the reality of all our residents and provision of 1:1 off-street parking in new developments is necessary not only for residents but for commercial interests that are usually situated on the ground floors of these development. Witness the furor over parking for a restaurant in Hamilton Park http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... eywords=Silverman+parking

A couple of things.

1. I park on the street.
2. Buildings with 1/2 used decks:
Grove Point
50 Columbus
The Gotham
Trump
Whatever that building is at Columbus and Greene

Those are just the ones I know about. The point being the city didn't unilaterally decide that one to one was too much, they came to that decision after finding that the existing decks for large buildings were pretty universally underutilized. BTW, with the possible exception of Trump you are welcome to rent a spot in any of those decks, but very few people do.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
I have to agree with Yvonne, I know of people who were lucky to get the last parking space in high rise buildings with .8 (ratio) parking. Let us agree that parking is at a premium for most of us in JC, especially in mid and high rises) that were not built with 1:1 parking. I will not even mention low-rise brownstones with multiple units and no parking.

Can you tell me which high rises you're referring to that have this parking problem?

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
There are plans to build one of these transit villages behind the Richard Street Liightrail, my question is to the developers why do they all look like this?

Resized Image

Not a fan.

Cheap to build, and cookie cutter so you just pull the plan off the shelf, no need to hire an actual architect. Same thing with all the pink brick infill all over the city.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The mayor changed the policy on parking which was one to one ratio, he promoted this policy as councilman for downtown. Why? The developer can make more money on retail space. But let?s get realistic; JC has an aging population with arthritis, heart disease, or other problems that makes walking difficult. You also have parents who must bring children to doctors, dentists, etc but the city has an unreliable transportation system. Buses/lite rail do not go many parts of the city. Why should the rest of the city inherit the problems of downtown? Also groceries stores are not close by as they are in downtown so residents use cars.

Because not one of the buildings with one to one parking used all of the spaces? We have a bunch of half empty decks downtown because the people living here simply don't own as many cars as expected.

I have plenty of problems with Fulop, but not mandating parking that will never be used is not one of them. This is planning 101, find out how much of a resource is actually being used and then design the buildings around that.

If more families (priced out of NYC) are moving into JC or if new and old residents who work hours and places in JC where there is unsafe or no public transportation, then this is a quality of life issue which must be taken into consideration.

I envy your situation moobycow in which there is excess parking in your building and wish it were mine, but as I trudge through snow and ice to reach my partially covered space- I count myself lucky to at least have off-street parking.

I think our government has to take into consideration the reality of all our residents and provision of 1:1 off-street parking in new developments is necessary not only for residents but for commercial interests that are usually situated on the ground floors of these development. Witness the furor over parking for a restaurant in Hamilton Park http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... eywords=Silverman+parking

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The problem with the parking in new developments is simply the fact that the residents are charged to use that parking. That's in addition to their mortgage and taxes and maintenance. Here's a solution, developers who get tax abatements should have to offer parking free of charge to their residents.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
There are plans to build one of these transit villages behind the Richard Street Liightrail, my question is to the developers why do they all look like this?

Resized Image

Not a fan.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am talking about houses next to each other like JC. Bayonne, 2 family homes are actually 3 or more. People are making smaller units similar to JC. Let me repeat, Bayonne is not dealing with the skyway or traffic from the turnpike traveling on local streets to reach the Holland Tunnel. When the skyway closes, item 4g on the agenda, the city will allow York and Bright Streets to filter that traffic to the waterfront. The skyway now closes April 12. That influx has nothing to do with JC residents.

And what does any of that have to do with having a smaller parking ratio, which was your original complaint? There is little JC can do about an influx of traffic due to a construction project out of their control.

You just jump from complaint to complaint so it's hard to keep track of what exactly you're upset about.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

No one ever guaranteed that cities will stay the same. You either adapt or you move.

+1

Posted on: 2014/2/26 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am talking about houses next to each other like JC. Bayonne, 2 family homes are actually 3 or more. People are making smaller units similar to JC. Let me repeat, Bayonne is not dealing with the skyway or traffic from the turnpike traveling on local streets to reach the Holland Tunnel. When the skyway closes, item 4g on the agenda, the city will allow York and Bright Streets to filter that traffic to the waterfront. The skyway now closes April 12. That influx has nothing to do with JC residents.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users

+1 Far too many accidents and drivers who do not follow rules. I was crossing the pedestrian light at the corner of Columbus and Grove today while a lady in an SUV tries to cut me off by making a right onto Grove at the same time... lady, it's my turn not yours!

Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
If our mayor wants us walking (and I'm in favor of that!), then he has to figure out how to get drivers to stop at red lights and stop signs and how to NOT pile ice and snow at each corner when it snows.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You can ban local cars but you will still have major traffic downtown, motorist leave the congested turnpike and use the local streets to go to the Holland tunnel. Bayonne has homes just as compact as JC but their streets are not congested as JC because motorist do not use their streets to connect to other places. During the Schundler administration, Council President Smith made a comment that over 100,000 cars come into JC, that number is probably higher. So reducing cars is just a way to punish residents who need them for their elderly family members, children, grocery shopping, and getting to work.

Bayonne also has 5,000 less people per sq mile than JC, and that doesn't account for the large portion of JC that is actually a big State Park.

No one is 'punishing residents' the new parking ratios are a reflection of reality. The new apartment buildings have less than 1 car per residence, this holds true for pretty much every new building constructed and it is why they have 1/2 empty parking decks.

Requiring a huge deck that will be underutilized is asinine.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You can ban local cars but you will still have major traffic downtown, motorist leave the congested turnpike and use the local streets to go to the Holland tunnel. Bayonne has homes just as compact as JC but their streets are not congested as JC because motorist do not use their streets to connect to other places. During the Schundler administration, Council President Smith made a comment that over 100,000 cars come into JC, that number is probably higher. So reducing cars is just a way to punish residents who need them for their elderly family members, children, grocery shopping, and getting to work.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Wishful Thinking, there are people who were born here and did not move to JC. Yes, I do remember when you could drive to lower Manhattan from Van Vorst Park in less than 15 minutes. So basically, everyone must bend over backwards to reward new development, which receives abatements and crowds the street. Because guess what? Those people do bring cars but they don't pay for parking. I have said this before, JC is overdeveloped, the streets are not wide compared to NYC which can handle traffic, bikes, and pedestrians. Besides, it is not just the residents who live here, it is people traveling to the waterfront, or the skyway, turnpike, etc. So if you ban every local car you would still have traffic. In case you did not notice, many motorist, travel through downtown JC to reach the Holland Tunnel. That has nothing to do with residents.

No one ever guaranteed that cities will stay the same. You either adapt or you move.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
As a former resident of Toronto which has a walkable downtown, with lots of green space , but also an amazingly efficient and comprehensive mass transit system of subways, trolleys and buses, as well as ample parking garages and spaces for residents, I would applaud a system like that.

But Jersey City lacks affordable housing (downtown as Toronto did when I lived there) and definitely lacks a comprehensive, efficient and safe mass transit system. If Fulop's plans include these last mentioned elements, then go for it.

You may be surprised the amount of affordable housing that DOES exist downtown, particularly in Newport. Most people think it's all $$$$ but there is a lot of "Left over" subsidized housing from the 80s.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/26 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think she's talking about completely banning local cars, just reducing our reliance on them. I'm probably one of the few born and raised JC folk on JCList and I have to agree, reducing the usage of cars in our city would be a huge boon. Full discretion, I do own a car because my job is not easy to get to via mass transit, however for most things outside of work I get around just fine via light rail/path (I actually prefer it). You mentioned it used to take 10 minutes to drive to lower Manhattan, well now it's a 10 minute train ride. That seems like a pretty fair trade. If I worked in Manhattan I'd likely get rid of my vehicle all together. I agree with you that our transit system as it is now is far from perfect; all the more reason making JC more walkable and improving mass transit should be a top priority of this administration. It'd make our city safer, boost revenues for small businesses, reduce pollution, etc.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Wishful Thinking, there are people who were born here and did not move to JC. Yes, I do remember when you could drive to lower Manhattan from Van Vorst Park in less than 15 minutes. So basically, everyone must bend over backwards to reward new development, which receives abatements and crowds the street. Because guess what? Those people do bring cars but they don't pay for parking. I have said this before, JC is overdeveloped, the streets are not wide compared to NYC which can handle traffic, bikes, and pedestrians. Besides, it is not just the residents who live here, it is people traveling to the waterfront, or the skyway, turnpike, etc. So if you ban every local car you would still have traffic. In case you did not notice, many motorist, travel through downtown JC to reach the Holland Tunnel. That has nothing to do with residents.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 12:37

Edited by nemobeatz on 2014/2/26 13:05:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, not for nothing but you are obsessed with discussing/complaining about cars/driving/congestion, and not much else. Can't you try to at least complain about a new restaurant or something? (too yuppyish, too expensive, etc).

Posted on: 2014/2/26 4:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/26 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:...but the city has an unreliable transportation system.

And that is the essence of the problem, and - hopefully! - one the Mayor is prepared to face if he is serious about embracing "new" urbanism (which, in many cases, is "old" urbanism - mass transit rich cities, before Detroit bought out and dismantled the trolley car lines...) which is moving JC away from being so car-centric.

Yes, I know there are older people, people with children - as there are in MANY, MANY cities of a comparable scale. Which work just fine based on mass transit options. Mayor Fulop really has to find people with a vision to make this happen. JC is being strangled by cars, an effort really has to be made to discourage car ownership, not encourage it. I support reducing the parking requirements for new developments. If people want their cars so badly, they can move to the suburbs.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/26 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
If our mayor wants us walking (and I'm in favor of that!), then he has to figure out how to get drivers to stop at red lights and stop signs and how to NOT pile ice and snow at each corner when it snows.

Posted on: 2014/2/26 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
This would definitely put pressure on utilizing PATH services, and we know how efficient the PATH is already...

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I just saw the lastest abatement agreement in the Journal Square area. 266 units with 128 parking spaces and 5,000 square ft of retail space. The older condos in the area has one to one parking space. This development will impact the one and two family homes plus rent control buildings. The 5,000 commercial space will bring traffic, the 266 units with limited parking will create a crisis in an established neighborhood. It is wishful thinking that everyone uses the PATH. This particular neighborhood will have residents circling the blocks for hours looking for parking spaces. I call this poor urban planning.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I just saw the lastest abatement agreement in the Journal Square area. 266 units with 128 parking spaces and 5,000 square ft of retail space. The older condos in the area has one to one parking space. This development will impact the one and two family homes plus rent control buildings. The 5,000 commercial space will bring traffic, the 266 units with limited parking will create a crisis in an established neighborhood. It is wishful thinking that everyone uses the PATH. This particular neighborhood will have residents circling the blocks for hours looking for parking spaces. I call this poor urban planning.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I follow some of the new urbanism writing and blogs (James H Kunstler, Strong Towns) and there's a lot of good ideas there. But cherry picking a few doesn't work well. Newport and LHN are WAY below standards of park acreage per capita, and the emphasis on parking structures on the waterfront is definitely not New Urbanism.

Wen you hear about the economic troubles of Midwestern cities you think they'd kill to have our vitality, and we're squandering it feeding the old system of developer worship.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
As a former resident of Toronto which has a walkable downtown, with lots of green space , but also an amazingly efficient and comprehensive mass transit system of subways, trolleys and buses, as well as ample parking garages and spaces for residents, I would applaud a system like that.

But Jersey City lacks affordable housing (downtown as Toronto did when I lived there) and definitely lacks a comprehensive, efficient and safe mass transit system. If Fulop's plans include these last mentioned elements, then go for it.

Posted on: 2014/2/25 21:27

Political Insider: Mayor Fulop's on-line opinion promotes New Urbanism
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
If you want to know what Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop could have in mind for the city?s future and what threads may weave through his State of The City address on Thursday, you may want to take a glimpse at the Op-Ed piece he wrote for Philly.com that appeared online on Monday. It becomes obvious that the mayor is an admirer of the New Urbanism.

The pope of this religion is architect Andres Duany who planned communities based on the principle that you could walk to almost anywhere. His work could best be found in the south in areas like Florida. Duany once spoke in Jersey City and held sway over a charrette to help developer Peter Mocco?s proposed Liberty Harbor North neighborhood which followed the concept ? up to a point.

In his piece, Fulop refers to several books that we must assume is shaping his thinking. One is by Canadian journalist Charles Montgomery, ?Happy City: Transforming Our Lives Through Urban Design.? He argues that design should call for public involvement and plenty of park and open spaces ? something they have plenty of in Canada. Hoboken got its ideas for planning its treasured waterfront parks from north of the border.

According to Fulop, Montgomery points a familiar refrain; a city?s design should be heavy with green space, recreational opportunities in walkable communities capable of affecting the mood of the populace, thus the potential for a ?Happy City.? The mayor notes: ?? I've seen the results of good design coupled with park, recreation, and green-space expansion in Jersey City and have talked with many other urban mayors throughout the state and the country who agree as well.?

This new urbanism seems an offshoot of the usual way a city neighborhood is revitalized. Duany has noted that this process is not new but that it was evident in the Greenwich Village of the 1920s, the Miami Beach of the 1980s and in today?s hip sections of a city of which Brooklyn is an example, and he could have added Hoboken and Downtown Jersey City. In an article in the Detroit-based Model D internet magazine about Duany, the pioneers are usually less than affluent young people, artists looking for places to live and work and nonconformists who make their community exciting, economically feasible. We also know that what eventually leads to their community becoming a destination also pushes them out those pioneers when they can no longer afford to live there.

Read More http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... rbanism.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/2/25 21:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017