Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Driving into DT at Rush Hour
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I was driving up Tonnelle to N Bergen today at 1:00 and southbound was backed up nearly to Secaucus Rd. Nasty. I took Secaucus to JFK back home.

Posted on: 2013/12/23 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I work in Motown

Now THAT is a commute.

Posted on: 2013/12/23 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I work in Motown and I take the Pulaski or Extension depending on the day. Most of the traffic (not at this time of the year, however) is not around here.

However the morons at the DOT were kind enough to make 139 in each direction one lane for "reverse commuters" during the busiest time of the year, essentially forcing everyone onto the extension (and thru downtown). The obvious way is up Brunswick to my neck of the woods.

However, it's often jammed to make that left, so I have fashioned my own jughandle by making a right and coming up back.

If 139 is backed up, you can get on Newark Ave a couple of times.

I can't even imagine going up through the Heights- 1/9 northbound is a nightmare on weekends.

Posted on: 2013/12/23 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
When things are are bad, Secaucus Rd is worse than Manhattan Ave. Just NEVER go past Manhattan southbound! It's now a continual disaster that sometimes backs all the way to Secaucus Rd.

Once upon a time going over to Palisades, down to 17th St, and then taking that different Manhattan Ave to Patterson Plank all the way down to Jackson in Hoboken was great, 3 lights the whole way from 17th to the Cliffs. I think the viaduct traffic has messed with it, and the light rail lights at rush can be brutal. I've sat there like 10 minutes as train after train went by. I think they won't go green as long as there's a train in the station even if it's not moving.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
I used to commute to Englewood from DTJC and while I haven't in a while, I don't recall having a problem taking 1&9 to lower 139 and making a right on Manila ever, unless there was an accident. It may be that construction on 139 and the newly designed circle over there are now causing problems, but if they are indeed congested, try going one more block south on 1&9 to St Paul's and taking that east to upper 139 and making a right on Palisade and down Newark. Previously mentioned is Paterson Plank Rd which can often be faster. You can also try taking Manhattan Ave from 1&9 (the street by White Mana) and taking a right on JFK and then a left on 139 upper.

Stay away from the Manhattan Ave. exit it gets backed up from the entrance and then you have to wrap it around till you are able to cross 1&9. As far as Rt 139 is concerned I think that road is closing off one lane going east for a while not sure of the details though.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 17:48
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I used to commute to Englewood from DTJC and while I haven't in a while, I don't recall having a problem taking 1&9 to lower 139 and making a right on Manila ever, unless there was an accident. It may be that construction on 139 and the newly designed circle over there are now causing problems, but if they are indeed congested, try going one more block south on 1&9 to St Paul's and taking that east to upper 139 and making a right on Palisade and down Newark. Previously mentioned is Paterson Plank Rd which can often be faster. You can also try taking Manhattan Ave from 1&9 (the street by White Mana) and taking a right on JFK and then a left on 139 upper.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Hey if you do cut through Secaucus when you make the right on Plaza Drive off Rt. 3 stop in the CVS plaza there is a good Italian bakery/Deli and right near by a terrific fruit & vegetable/grocery store they have everything under one roof. Plenty of parking.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
The key close to JC is getting on to Kennedy Blvd or any ave east of it.

Alternate routes to the Heights include:
- Turnpike > Exit 17 > County Ave > Secaucus Road or County Road
- Turnpike > Exit 15X > County Road

Been a while since I drove those routes regularly, but worth experimenting. They generally avoid the typical jams.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Well if the brunt is in the area of Hudson County or J.C. go through the Heights. From Rt. 3 cut through the town of Secaucus and turn onto Paterson Plank Rd right on County Ave. (pass UPS) left on Secaucus Rd. (pass the inspection station) driving up Secaucus Rd to Kennedy Blvd. (it moves) go south to the State Hwy (139) make left then in A few blocks right onto Cook St then take Newak Ave. to your area. I had to do that a few times and made it in no time at all. As far as getting here fast from Teaneck, well can't help ya there.

Posted on: 2013/12/20 15:17

Driving into DT at Rush Hour
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
For those that have a car downtown and commute to other parts of North Jersey... how is your evening commute?

I work in Teaneck, and no matter if I take the turnpike, River Road, or 1&9 home, there seems to be no easy approach into downtown at night. I used to drive into Hoboken but it just seems that JC has even more buildup and less access from that part of North Jersey. I used to get to Hoboken in under 40 minutes but getting to my apt. in Hamilton Park is now about 50 - 1 hr. Probably doesn't help that I'm commuting at the height of rush hour...

Note that I'm not complaining. I understand this is what happens when you live in a city and have a suburban job. Just wondering how everyone else deals with it and if they have any tips! Thanks!

Just wondering how everyone

Posted on: 2013/12/20 14:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017