Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Where do the prek kids go?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NorthernNJGURL wrote:
They most certainly do in most of Hudson County

Yes, because we get state financial aid (since our schools are failing) so our city does have preschool. However, most of NJ do not have the funding to have public preschool.

Your child will be sent to your local school unless the school does not have a preK class, then you'd be sent to another school in JC. You should look at the JCBOE website.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Ther are no downtown daycares on the list.

Robin.

True. I do know that St. Bridget's is offering its program, because we looked into it. And I know someone sending their child to the International Learning Center.

So I'm not sure why that list is so limited. Other lists I have seen had several more schools, although I remember St. Bridget's was not on the prior one that I saw as well.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 21:06

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/1 0:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Public pre-k schools don?t exist.

from: http://www.jcboe.org/newboe/index.php ... article&id=100&Itemid=235

Ms. Patricia Bryant - Associate Superintendent
201-915-6045
pbryant@jcboe.org

Ms. Alysia Cole-Felder - Director
201-915-6078

The Department of Early Childhood is committed to providing the 3- and 4-year old children, who are Jersey City residents, with developmentally appropriate preschool experiences. Our mission is to:

Provide a learning environment that will help children develop intellectually, socially, physically, and emotionally in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development.
Include education on health, nutrition, and social and emotional well being into a daily program of varied activities.
Enhance children?s feelings of self-worth and appreciation of their own and other?s ethnicity, cultures, and languages.
Develop social competence by providing opportunities for children to make decisions and solve problems during their school day.
Ease the transition of children into primary grades by providing appropriate early childhood experiences.

We contract with childcare centers throughout Jersey City to provide classes for most of our three year olds, and the majority of our four year olds attend classes in the Jersey City Board of Education schools. All classes are small?no more than 15 children?and are staffed with certified Early Childhood professionals and paraprofessionals.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 20:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/12 13:17
Group:
Registered Users
Ps 37 (cordero) offers Pre-K 4 - for four year olds, located at Hamilton Park area (on erie)

PS 3 is on Bright and Varick (i think) and has Pre-K 3 and 4 and the Dual Language Pre-K.

PS 16 is on Sussex St

PS 5 is on 4th by Brunswick(ish) although also is Pre-K 4 +

also St bridgets is public/private

call the number on that flyer - they are really helpful - though i wouldn't call this week, they are busy starting the school year.

If you live in Jersey City, the Abbot Decision guarantees you a spot at a daycare. and if they are full they will bus your kid to another daycare in JC. Some people worry about the quality of schools in other neighborhoods and everyone has their own opinion about that.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ther are no downtown daycares on the list.

Robin.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 17:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/6 16:22
Group:
Registered Users
They most certainly do in most of Hudson County

Posted on: 2011/9/6 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
As an Abbott district, all students have the right to attend free, full day, pre-K education starting at age three.

For pre-K 3, some of the schools do have classes. P.S. 3 has some, I believe P.S. 5 does as well. Much of the pre-K 3, however, is contracted out to private centers. St. Bridget's is one and the "International Learning Center" on Columbus Avenue is another.

The flier linked below has a list though it does not appear comprehensive. Not sure if the centers have changed or if they have just left off those that are already filled to capacity.

http://www.jcboe.org/newboe/images/im ... depts/ec/ec%20centers.pdf

For the contract out programs, you apply directly to them. You can also register at your local zone school. If you have a pre-k program and they are not oversubscribed you will be put in that, otherwise the child will be bussed to a district that has capacity.

Pre-K 4 is handled mostly by the zoned schools although last year, there were a couple of contract out sites.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Public pre-k schools don?t exist.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 16:36

Where do the prek kids go?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/6 16:22
Group:
Registered Users
I know the downtown area is full of private day cares and schools, but what schools do the other children attend? Are they bused somewhere else? Not all parents are going to want to put them in private.

Posted on: 2011/9/6 16:24

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017