Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: We are census undercounted

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 4:41
Group:
Registered Users
Yes you are right on the census.

You apparently have not heard the questions in the American Community Survey though. Have to admit, until today, I did not even know what this survey was.

Questions like:
What time do you leave for work?
How much did you pay for your house?
What are your expenses to manage your home?
How many cars do you have?

And a few more that I won't list.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 2:57

Re: 2010 Census

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Not bad information, just poor explanation in the videos on You Tube.

There is the 2010 Census (of which I have no problem). It has 10 questions and none are an issue even though I am not crazy about giving my full DOB.

The questions I had issue with are apart of the American Community Survey (at least some of them) which is conducted by the Census Bureau and is only completed by a representative sample of the US population rather than every household. It is NOT a part of the constitutionally mandated Dicennial Census.

The 2 videos that got me started on this are:
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsDhkPym01k&feature=email

And also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsDhkPym01k&feature=email

The one by Channel 4 news in Az got me going most.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
It seems to me that the people who often cry "I refuse to pay taxes because I'm not represented" are the same type of people who refuse to partake in the Census. Wake UP... The Census is what gets you representation. If your state is undercounted, your state gets less representation in Congress. If your community (city, town, county etc.) is undercounted, you get less representation in the legislatures that affect you. Your communities also get less funding. It doesn't take much intelligence to see that. Does it? Why do these attributes sound like those of the Tea Party. Rebellion is not the only answer, working within the system really does work, make the system work for you.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 0:50

Re: 2010 Census
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know what your source of information has been, but it sounds as if you have been the victim of someone's disinformation campaign.
Here is a link to the actual census form questions.

Census 2010 Q's

I hope that this answers your concerns.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 18:42

2010 Census

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have been viewing many You Tube videos about the census and what has been happening to people who are not answering all the questions. Frankly, some of these questions are none of their business and, to me, has nothing to do with the census. These personal questions are also, to me, not covered by the Constitution. While I do not want to go to jail, I also do not want these people to get more of my information than they are required to collect by law. They even asked one lady what time she went to work everyday, how many cars she had, what income she has and where does it come from, what she paid for her house, and what the cost of running her household are. These are not census questions unless you want to start paying my bills.

Would it be possible for someone to post a list somewhere or send an email of what we MUST answer on the census? I doubt I am the only one who would be interested in this. If I get a mail census, or a person, I have no qualms about saying not answering because it is not Constitutional to ask me this. I would just like some back up before I open my mouth.

Thanks for any help you can give

Posted on: 2010/3/7 18:26

Re: Call for illegal immigrants to boycott Census divides Latinos
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Call for illegal immigrants to boycott Census divides Latinos

Friday, January 08, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The Rev. Miguel Rivera would argue that the Census slogan "everybody counts" isn't entirely accurate.

"Undocumented immigrants have no benefits at all from federal funding," the Ridgefield Park resident says.

As president of the National Coalition of Latino Clergy and Christian Leaders, Rivera is leading the call for illegal immigrants to boycott the 2010 Census until Congress passes immigration reform.

While Sen. Robert Menendez, D-Hoboken, supports immigration reform, he opposes the boycott.

"Any group that boycotts the census is subjecting their community and their children and grandchildren to having a diminished voice in the halls of power and diminished resources," he said in a statement.

"With respect to Latinos, this would be particularly damaging for a community that is poised to gain new clout and stature as the nation's largest minority group," he added.

Eliu Rivera, executive director of Jersey City-based Puerto Rican Association for Community Organization and a county freeholder, also opposes a Census boycott.

"From the beginning we have always worked in conjunction with the Census Bureau to make sure everyone is counted," Rivera said. "Aid to our seniors, school aid, affordable housing, it means a lot to us."

The Census data is used as a guide to distribute more than $400 billion in federal funding. Congressional and state legislative districts are also drawn based on population figures.

Siomara Sanchez-Guerra, president of the National Association of Cuban American Women in Union City, said her organization is up in the air about the proposed boycott.

"We don't know a lot about it," she said, but added the group has been pushing for immigration reform.

Except that population determin es how many reps in the house each state gets. If all illegals get counted this could hurt dmocrats. Even though they are counted they have no voice.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Friday, January 08, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The Rev. Miguel Rivera would argue that the Census slogan "everybody counts" isn't entirely accurate.

"Undocumented immigrants have no benefits at all from federal funding," the Ridgefield Park resident says.

As president of the National Coalition of Latino Clergy and Christian Leaders, Rivera is leading the call for illegal immigrants to boycott the 2010 Census until Congress passes immigration reform.

The Rev Riv is Right. They don't count at least as not part of the U.S. population although they should be counted as taking up space in this country. But then again it would only expose their where abouts and their whole facade.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 16:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot...jeez

"The Census data is used as a guide to distribute more than $400 billion in federal funding. Congressional and state legislative districts are also drawn based on population figures."

Posted on: 2010/1/8 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Friday, January 08, 2010
By MELISSA HAYES
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

While Sen. Robert Menendez, D-Hoboken, supports immigration reform, he opposes the boycott.

"Any group that boycotts the census is subjecting their community and their children and grandchildren to having a diminished voice in the halls of power and diminished resources," he said in a statement.

"With respect to Latinos, this would be particularly damaging for a community that is poised to gain new clout and stature as the nation's largest minority group," he added.

Eliu Rivera, executive director of Jersey City-based Puerto Rican Association for Community Organization and a county freeholder, also opposes a Census boycott.

"From the beginning we have always worked in conjunction with the Census Bureau to make sure everyone is counted," Rivera said. "Aid to our seniors, school aid, affordable housing, it means a lot to us."

The Census data is used as a guide to distribute more than $400 billion in federal funding. Congressional and state legislative districts are also drawn based on population figures.

Siomara Sanchez-Guerra, president of the National Association of Cuban American Women in Union City, said her organization is up in the air about the proposed boycott.

"We don't know a lot about it," she said, but added the group has been pushing for immigration reform.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 14:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/8 18:51
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Amy: That?s my point. Thanks for contributing, It seems like your story is replicated by so many like you all over this city. Without you and your roommate counted, we lost about 20,000 in Federal Funding. Shifting the money, that?s a year from a child at school, a paved street, all sorts of things. I hope the city does a better job this year of guiding the Census and correcting it where necessary to gain accurate numbers.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I was living in JC in 2000 and remember asking my roommate if we had gotten a census form in the mail. She said no. As I recall we shared a mailbox with the people in the upstairs apartments (we had the downstairs duplex). Maybe we only got one form and one of the others filled it out, but I wasn't counted.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
I worked on the 1990 census when I was in college. I went door to door interviewing people who did not send their census forms in. It was very frustrating because there are a lot of ignorant people out there who don't want to be bothered taking 10 minutes to answer a few questions.

However, I have the most hilarious stories from that job. One lady came downstairs in her pajamas at three in the afternoon and told me she'd punch me in the f***ing face if I rang her bell again. Another woman I interviewed answered her questions through a half open bathroom door as she used the toilet.

Another very, very heavy woman from Africa, whipped out an enormous breast in the middle of the interview and started feeding her ten-year-old son.

My all time favorite was a guy who said, " Oh, it's you, cat -eyes. I see you all the time waiting fo the bus." He meowed at me for the entire interview and continued meowing at me from his window as I ran up the block.

Seriously though. You can't imagine how people live in this city. It was really unbelievable, and if I didn't laugh I would cry. Good luck to all the census workers this time around. It really is an important job.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 17:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
That may be true, but I think we can all agree that we need to press our city to organize a challenge our dismal census projections to prepare us to look for more accuratge numbers in 2010. Not to mention, I'd like to see us gain on or beat Newark as the states largest city.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Government officials want us to be counted. The late Councilperson Melissa Holloway said every counted person is worth $10,000 in grant money over a 10 year period. If Jersey City truly cares about everyone receiving their fair share of money then municipal government wouldn't short change the board of ed and county government with abatements.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 16:52

We are census undercounted
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The 2008 Census Estimates failed to county for 93,000 people in Philadelphia, and 5,000 people in Boulder. These communities keep good counts of their population, challenged the Census and won. As reported in these two articles:
http://www.coloradodaily.com/cu-boulder/ci_13951599
http://www.kyw1060.com/pages/5848839.php?

In simple math, the Census failed to account for 6.0 percent of each cities population. I think it?s safe to say that the same is happening to us. According to the 2008 Census Estimate, Jersey City has a population of 241,114 up from 240,055 in 2000. That?s only a 1% increase in population. Between 1990 and 2000, we had a 5% increase in population. We grew more than that with rehabilitation in Downtown not to mention, the rediscovery of Journal Square and the Heights in addition to the development and expansion of development at the Beacon, Liberty North, Exchange, and Newport.

We lose about 1000 dollars of funding per person for every person we miss. We could probably fill our budget if we simply counted everyone in town. A 5% increase for us would bring our current population to 252,000, and the number is probably higher. Very frustrating.

Posted on: 2009/12/31 16:35

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017