Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Just Complaining List
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Officer_Mac wrote:

I wouldn't say spook. I just address the most serious issues now

Hey... me too!

Posted on: 2006/3/1 2:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/9 21:46
From 207 Seventh St
Group:
Registered Users
I wouldn't say spook. I just address the most serious issues now

Posted on: 2006/2/28 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Officer_Mac wrote:

I am glad that I am remembered with such fondness. I am still here though just in another capacity

In another capacity... you mean like a spook!

Posted on: 2006/2/28 2:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 207 Seventh St
Group:
Registered Users
I am glad that I am remembered with such fondness. I am still here though just in another capacity

Posted on: 2006/2/28 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 22:08
Group:
Registered Users
Officer Mac!

I think it's safe to say we ALL miss you around here.

Posted on: 2006/2/27 19:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 207 Seventh St
Group:
Registered Users
It is nice to see that in the six months since my departure from my post I am thought of and can still be the source of much controversy. It is truly a proud moment for me. Thank you all

Posted on: 2006/2/27 19:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 20:11
From Downtown, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1djcview wrote:
but in my 50 years i have seen plenty of inappropriate behavior from police officers on the street.

In Jersey City?

What did you do about it?

What may seems inappropriate to you may fall into proper policy, regulations, guidelines, or law.

JustComplainingLIST

Posted on: 2006/2/19 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Newsboy wrote:
The police do not stick their neck out, they do a job and how would it behoove the police to deal with it?

the job they do, the job they choose to do, involves public service and high visibility in the community -- to me, that is sticking one's neck out.

Quote:

1djcview wrote:
on a side note, what you call "police bashing" is sometimes hard but appropriate reaction to inappropriate behavior. we all have seen PD officers lose their professional attitude and act out of turn.

Quote:
Newsboy responded:
When or where on this forum has an officer lost their professional attitude and acted out of turn (whatever that means) to warrant the PD to receive the constant bashing on this self-important meaningless forum?

The webmaster should change the name of this site to the:

Just Complaining List

i didn't mean only on this forum. and let's not get into a p*ssing contest about THIS now. people on this list do take potshots from behind the cloak of anonymity. and I am not anti-police or a police basher, which I think means you automatically blame the police officer. definitely not. but in my 50 years i have seen plenty of inappropriate behavior from police officers on the street. there are some who understand their burden with regard to how they act with the members of the community they serve and hold themselves to it, while holding the public responsible for their responsibilities as well. and there are others whose bad day, feelings of insecurity, arrogance, not enough sleep, whatever, come between them and their professionalism and the consequences of that spill out onto the public.

there is really nothing to argue about.

Posted on: 2006/2/19 14:35

Just Complaining List
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 20:11
From Downtown, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1djcview wrote:

it comes with the territory, with stickng your neck out, and it behooves someone like a PD Community Liaison to work on dealing with it.

The police do not stick their neck out, they do a job and how would it behoove the police to deal with it?

Quote:

1djcview wrote:
on a side note, what you call "police bashing" is sometimes hard but appropriate reaction to inappropriate behavior. we all have seen PD officers lose their professional attitude and act out of turn.

When or where on this forum has an officer lost their professional attitude and acted out of turn (whatever that means) to warrant the PD to receive the constant bashing on this self-important meaningless forum?

The webmaster should change the name of this site to the:

Just Complaining List

Posted on: 2006/2/18 21:15

Re: Detective demoted?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
people love, love, love to bash the police.

yes, they do, for good or bad. anytime you take a leadership position of any kind, official or otherwise, you draw attention and attack. people who do NOT take responsibility project their needs onto those who do. from parents to business owners to elected officials, police, physicians, and on and on -- it's human nature, and those who take a leadership position have to anticipate it and deal with it, or back off.

it comes with the territory, with stickng your neck out, and it behooves someone like a PD Community Liaison to work on dealing with it.

on a side note, what you call "police bashing" is sometimes hard but appropriate reaction to inappropriate behavior. we all have seen PD officers lose their professional attitude and act out of turn. it's a tough job and people mess up. PD personnel cannot afford to be too thin-skinned. but nonetheless, i think a lot of that bashing is just because the police are convenient receptacle for people's frustrations. oh well.

Posted on: 2006/2/18 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Some supposition on my part here but anyway...

Quote:

valkin wrote:

I wonder if it's because of the technology or because they cannot control the negative/troll responses on a message board.

Both. I would suspect more the latter than the former. I would imagine there are also some liability concerns when you've got a "police official" in a forum like this, whether or not they're posting on an "official" or "informal" basis.

I would think, putting myself in their shoes, that the lack of control of the discourse is a big problem. Not because they are controlling per se but because the job is difficult enough to begin with, without the internet pissing contests. The job is hard enough to begin with.

That, and from what I've seen online, you're right- people love, love, love to bash the police.

Just my $0.02

Posted on: 2006/2/18 12:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060217/pl_nm/security_rumsfeld_dc Rumsfeld, in this Reuters story, is lamenting that the US lags behind its enemies in technological savvy. He says: <<"Our enemies have skillfully adapted to fighting wars in today's media age, but ... our country has not adapted," Rumsfeld said. "For the most part, the U.S. government still functions as a 'five and dime' store in an eBay world," Rumsfeld said, referring to old-fashioned U.S. retail stores and the online auction house respectively.>> We could say much the same about JCPD, alas.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 19:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/15 4:12
From Formerly of Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nuada wrote:
would go so far as to suggest that the Community Liaison Officer should have the skills necessary to engage in this kind of forum and should assigned to do so, for all the reasons Valkin gave.>>

In 2006 we shouldn't be talking about this; it should just be.

I'll admit that some boards seem primarily populated by lunatics (getnj.com and nj.com)...but this one is well-moderated and reasonably civil. I try to check in at least every few days because thee's always stuff I learn. JCPD might do likewise and it might find that this is a useful channel for disseminating information. Pity that such ideas seem too 21st century for the JCPD brass.

I wonder if it's because of the technology or because they cannot control the negative/troll responses on a message board. Citizens can't disprespect a PO in real life without fear of getting arrested but online, someone can disrespect an officer without repercussions.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 18:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
would go so far as to suggest that the Community Liaison Officer should have the skills necessary to engage in this kind of forum and should assigned to do so, for all the reasons Valkin gave.>>

In 2006 we shouldn't be talking about this; it should just be.

I'll admit that some boards seem primarily populated by lunatics (getnj.com and nj.com)...but this one is well-moderated and reasonably civil. I try to check in at least every few days because thee's always stuff I learn. JCPD might do likewise and it might find that this is a useful channel for disseminating information. Pity that such ideas seem too 21st century for the JCPD brass.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

valkin wrote:
It saddens me that there's no longer a police officer posting on this board. It was amazing interacting with Officer Mac on this board and recieving true information instead of rumors and knowing that our concerns were being heard. To me, it was the BEST thing about this board.

The fact that some JClisters want to get into a pissing match shouldn't prevent the positive interaction that can occur between a police officer and members of the community. Councilman Fulop posts here all the time and from what I've seen, does not engage in a pissing match with those here that antagonize him. My respect for him and his office has increased due to his interactions and follow through.

This board is an incredible opportunity for the police department to engage with the citizens they protect and serve. It's an opportunity to interact with the community in a different way than how most people interact with their local police officers, if they interact with them at all.

It's also an opportunity to build a relationship with the community. I've always respected the job police officers do, but interacting with Officer Mac increased my respect for the JCPD because I felt we were being heard because Officer Mac had a relationship with us here.

They are not required to get into a pissing match here on JClist. They can choose to ignore those who have nothing to contribute.

The internet is a now a part of how people communicate. It is now a part of how officials communicate with the public. To ignore this medium and choose to communicate with the public only in meetings is shutting out a lot of people.

Ditto. Communicating on a central board like this is an excellent addition to attending the Neighborhood Association meetings, Watch meetings, etc. I know Officer Mac acted independently when he posted here, but imo, he was appropriately supplementing and complementing his official duties. I wish he could have been rewarded in some other way than promoting him OUT of the position.

I would go so far as to suggest that the Community Liaison Officer should have the skills necessary to engage in this kind of forum and should assigned to do so, for all the reasons Valkin gave.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 17:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/23 3:57
From Who is John Galt?
Group:
Registered Users
I stand corrected

Posted on: 2006/2/17 16:45
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/28 20:47
From Wayne BTW Jersey/Barrow
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JohnGalt wrote:
I like this message board, but honestly, how is this really a good way for the JCPD to connect with the community. There is basically the same 20 people or so that post on this message board. I am not sure about the exact population of Jersey City, but I am sure it larger than that. I can understand why they dont take time to post on this message board. I think that the community organization meetings are a better place for the JCPD to interact with the community.

There are a lot more people that read this board than post. I know former JC residents that still check it out to see what's going on.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 16:43
... When life gives you lemons - Make Lemontini's!!

Dennis Deyoung is a musical genius

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JohnGalt wrote:
I like this message board, but honestly, how is this really a good way for the JCPD to connect with the community. There is basically the same 20 people or so that post on this message board. I am not sure about the exact population of Jersey City, but I am sure it larger than that. I can understand why they dont take time to post on this message board. I think that the community organization meetings are a better place for the JCPD to interact with the community.

Certainly I think the people that read this board outnumber the people that attend community meetings on a regular basis. There is a core group of serial posters, sure - but the number of people who read and don't post or read and don't post that often is probably pretty huge.

I understand that not everyone uses a computer so community meeting are still important. But If you're looking to spread good information (or rumors or heresay, unfortunately) or keep in touch with people in the community, I can't think of a better way to do it than this list. And no, Webfalcon did not pay me to say that.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 16:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/15 3:01
From Maplewood
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JohnGalt wrote:

I dissagree. Even though there are only about 20 regular posters there are many people who are lurkers. The webmaster once said that JC list gets 1000 non repeat users each day (I am not sure if this is true or he is trying to boost his ad revenue). But even if 100 people check this list daily (which seams reasonable) that is much more than the 15 people who attend the neighborhood watch meetings.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 16:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/23 3:57
From Who is John Galt?
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/2/17 16:25
"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/15 4:12
From Formerly of Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
Officer Dana O'Reilly who refuses to use this venue for communicating with the community.

Not true, jc_insomniac. This incorrect info was posted early on and I replied to that misinformation from the first Downtown Watch that PO Reilly and her boss, Captain McDonough attended together last early fall of 2005.

As I said then, Captain McDonough informed everyone at that mtg. that PO Reilly works for him, she has lots of work to do for him and he has specifically informed her NOT to post here.

He also said that Officer Mac's post were neither official or sanctioned by his office,and as much as we all found them informative sometimes things got out of hand so new day.

The reasons apart from PO Reilly's workload are that as great a job as Officer Mac did, there was a tendency of this board to want to swap trashtalk, tete a tete which is non-productive and a no win task for any PO. I agree, as witness the most recent Downtown Watch mtg. You want to complain is fine, but meet them face to face and complain to their face not behind their back

I think it fair to call the PD, McDonough, Fulop, Troy or others to task face to face or question their data before them, etc, as I did in person Monday night. It is not fair to hide behind avatars of various cartoon figures and do it anonymously, as I think you might agree.

Captain McDonough made it clear that both check this board regularly for info but they aren't going to get into a pi$$ing contest with JCListers.

If you, or anyone have something to say in person than show up at any of the varied meetings they attend monthly and ask them straight up. Or email them directly below. They deserve our support as well as our criticism IMHO.

Quote:
brightmoment wrote:Posted on: 2005/10/13 15:21
Re: Contact info for Community Services Officer Reilly

The Captain also stated that since both he and Officer Reilly, the new Community Services Officer, both attend many neighborhood and Watch group meetings, that it was more appropriate for everyone, including JCList posters, to contact them either directly or meet with them personally at these meetings.

Here is the contact info for both:

Captain McDonough and Officer Reilly:
Phone: (201) 547-5470
Email: jcpdeastdistrict@yahoo.com

I can vouch for how quickly they returned my query by email as I just heard from Officer Reilly before I posted this info today from email I sent yesterday

It saddens me that there's no longer a police officer posting on this board. It was amazing interacting with Officer Mac on this board and recieving true information instead of rumors and knowing that our concerns were being heard. To me, it was the BEST thing about this board.

The fact that some JClisters want to get into a pissing match shouldn't prevent the positive interaction that can occur between a police officer and members of the community. Councilman Fulop posts here all the time and from what I've seen, does not engage in a pissing match with those here that antagonize him. My respect for him and his office has increased due to his interactions and follow through.

This board is an incredible opportunity for the police department to engage with the citizens they protect and serve. It's an opportunity to interact with the community in a different way than how most people interact with their local police officers, if they interact with them at all.

It's also an opportunity to build a relationship with the community. I've always respected the job police officers do, but interacting with Officer Mac increased my respect for the JCPD because I felt we were being heard because Officer Mac had a relationship with us here.

They are not required to get into a pissing match here on JClist. They can choose to ignore those who have nothing to contribute.

The internet is a now a part of how people communicate. It is now a part of how officials communicate with the public. To ignore this medium and choose to communicate with the public only in meetings is shutting out a lot of people.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 16:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/5/5 19:37
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:

He also said that Officer Mac's post were neither official or sanctioned by his office,and as much as we all found them informative sometimes things got out of hand so new day.

The reasons apart from PO Reilly's workload are that as great a job as Officer Mac did, there was a tendency of this board to want to swap trashtalk, tete a tete which is non-productive and a no win task for any PO. I agree, as witness the most recent Downtown Watch mtg. You want to complain is fine, but meet them face to face and complain to their face not behind their back

I strongly disagree with the Captain's assessment of Officer Mac's participation on JCList.

When I found out about the new policy regarding posting on the list, I was deeply disappointed. I'm sure I wasn't alone. The fact that someone representing the East District was reading our safety concerns and taking the time to respond to our questions gave me a strong sense of security and confidence in the PD's dedication to the downtown community. By maintaining his presence on JCList, Officer Mac was providing us with the reassurance that could come from daily interaction with a regular neighborhood foot patrol officer.

I've been to meetings (both crimewatch and neighborhood) where the Captain and Officer Dina have been in attendance. I can tell you it's not as easy as it sounds to approach them to discuss how I feel about safety or the strange guy that moved in next door. Here on the list, I can write about that, without the stress of worrying whether I was wasting anyone's time.

So Officer Mac had an attitude. He was a 6', 270lb. Police Officer. OF course he didn't back down when someone took a shot at him or the PD. That only made him a fellow JCLister. Considering the quasi official nature of his postings, I assumed that he was speaking for himself when he was on the offensive anyway. The Captain would have been taking a risk had he continued to look the other way as a new Community Relations Officer stepped into Officer Mac's JCList shoes but it would have been a great opportunity to continue to strengthen ties with the community.

At a time when "Today in Jersey City..." is heard more often than ever during the crime reports on the evening news, enlisting policies that make it more difficult to communicate with JCPDs representatives is a terrible mistake. Officer Mac's participation on this board meant so much more to us than the sum of his informative postings it's unfortunate they failed to realize this.

I've seen this topic brought up time and time again with the Captain. He remains unmoved on this issue.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 15:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
Officer Mac was the old PR guy for JCPD.

Man, I miss Officer Mac.

I miss Officer Mac too. But he isn't old! I'm just busting your chops... I know what you meant and that he was the previous community relations officer. The last time I saw him was at the National Night Out in Ham. park when I stepped up to say hi and helped myself to a free hotdog.

My impression of Captain McDonough is that he means business. He is a "what you see is what you get" kind of guy and I respect that. I like him very much. And I like Officer O'Reilly too.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
Officer Dana O'Reilly who refuses to use this venue for communicating with the community.

Not true, jc_insomniac. This incorrect info was posted early on and I replied to that misinformation from the first Downtown Watch that PO Reilly and her boss, Captain McDonough attended together last early fall of 2005.

As I said then, Captain McDonough informed everyone at that mtg. that PO Reilly works for him, she has lots of work to do for him and he has specifically informed her NOT to post here.

I think it fair to call the PD, McDonough, Fulop, Troy or others to task face to face or question their data before them, etc, as I did in person Monday night. It is not fair to hide behind avatars of various cartoon figures and do it anonymously, as I think you might agree.

Captain McDonough made it clear that both check this board regularly for info but they aren't going to get into a pi$$ing contest with JCListers.

If you, or anyone have something to say in person than show up at any of the varied meetings they attend monthly and ask them straight up. Or email them directly below. They deserve our support as well as our criticism IMHO.

Quote:
brightmoment wrote:Posted on: 2005/10/13 15:21
Re: Contact info for Community Services Officer Reilly

The Captain also stated that since both he and Officer Reilly, the new Community Services Officer, both attend many neighborhood and Watch group meetings, that it was more appropriate for everyone, including JCList posters, to contact them either directly or meet with them personally at these meetings.

Here is the contact info for both:

Captain McDonough and Officer Reilly:
Phone: (201) 547-5470
Email: jcpdeastdistrict@yahoo.com

I can vouch for how quickly they returned my query by email as I just heard from Officer Reilly before I posted this info today from email I sent yesterday

Posted on: 2006/2/17 6:03
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
Man, I miss Officer Mac.

You're not alone.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Officer Mac was the old PR guy for JCPD. I believe his official title was Community Relations Officer and he was great at maintaining an open line of communications with us here at JCList. We posted questions about crime and safety, and he answered. He got promoted and was replaced by Officer Dana O'Reilly who refuses to use this venue for communicating with the community.

Man, I miss Officer Mac.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 3:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
LOL, Mark. Be careful, though. You don't want any backlash from JCPD for that post. Even though Officer Mac's replacement doesn't post here, I have a feeling she and many others lurk around here.

Sounds like I may be missing something.... who's officer Mac?

Mark.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 3:48
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
LOL, Mark.

Be careful, though. You don't want any backlash from JCPD for that post. Even though Officer Mac's replacement doesn't post here, I have a feeling she and many others lurk around here.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 3:42

Detective demoted?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
I had a plainclothes detective come into my store a couple of years ago to retrieve a stolen instrument and he ended up being the biggest ass I've ever met.... accused me of only selling stolen merchandise etc... in front of customers and employees. ANYHOO, yesterday I saw him in uniform on Newark Ave. writing a parking ticket. Is it like in the movies? Was he busted down to ensign or something? Man that would be awesome.

Mark.

Posted on: 2006/2/17 3:39
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact