Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Parking Permit to 11:00 PM
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We moved to suburb in October last year, but we still go there from time to time as we are leasing our old condo unit to a couple of tenants.

This is totally anecdotal and not based on any research, but I'm wondering if others believe as I do....

Maybe for the last year or two, we noticed particularly on Friday evenings, it was harder to find a parking spot in our neighborhood (VVP), and we noticed that a lot of cars parked on our street didn't have a permit.

So we thought a lot of people from suburb drive to JC, park their cars there, and take PATH to NYC on Friday evenings. And as we now live in suburb, I have done that a couple of times myself.

Anyway, I can understand both sides of argument, but JC is not an easy place to get to if you live in suburb. Sure, it is possible to drive to Harrison PATH station and park there. But as I work with suburbanites who have never taken a train in their lives, I know it doesn't even occur to them. I'm all for walk-able city, but somehow the city has to accommodate visitors from suburb if it wants to be the destination. And in the country we live now with less than perfect public transportation system, in my opinion, that means cars and cars need parking.

Some say there are already enough garages in JC and others say there aren't. I don't know the truth.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The mayor said no. He stated people should use mass transit. Where Mayor Fulop is this mass transit? I have seen bus lines disappear since the 1970s and there has been talk of the No. 10 bus on Kennedy Blvd disappearing, too.

When I moved to the Heights in 2008, the mass transit options were better - the Red & Tan 10/99S ran from PABT down Central Avenue, 24/7. Despite public outcry, it was replaced by the 119 that runs at rush-hour, weekdays and Saturday, doing away with our one-and-only 24/7 connection to Manhattan. The HBLR used to run to Hoboken on weekends, making it a good alternative to the 87 (which never runs on schedule) if you wanted to get into the city via PATH from 2nd or 9th Streets. That service has since been discontinued.

Managing - and diminishing - the need for parking is not a chicken-or-egg issue, rather, improving transit must come first. If the Mayor truly believes more use of mass transit is the solution, he needs to be honest with us why his administration cannot make more progress with it.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I truly feel sorry for you Pebble, your life constitutes of making personal attacks against me, how sad. I stand by my letter. I heard the information in the caucus room on the permit parking and I was at the council meeting when the city passed the meter parking. Were you there? By the way, when I say something, I don't hide behind a phony name, anyone who does that has problems.

You criticize someone for making personal attacks and then you promptly make personal attacks against them. Cool.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I truly feel sorry for you Pebble, your life constitutes of making personal attacks against me, how sad. I stand by my letter. I heard the information in the caucus room on the permit parking and I was at the council meeting when the city passed the meter parking. Were you there? By the way, when I say something, I don't hide behind a phony name, anyone who does that has problems.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Despite being wrong, this letter was written because you want to continue pushing an agenda that will downgrade the city?

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When Steven Fulop ran for mayor he talked about an open and transparent government yet government will be less open if city ordinance 16.044 is passed. This ordinance extends permit parking from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.
A paragraph written to imply that Fulop isn?t being honest. As is typical of Yvonne information, there is no evidence to support this and she is unwilling to provide any.

[quote]
Yvonne wrote:
While most of the streets are located in Paulus Hook, City Hall is adjacent to Paulus Hook and some residents park there to attend council, planning board, and board of adjustment meetings. Citizens from different parts of the city will be ticketed, perhaps booted without the proper parking permit.

It is true that they will be ticketed. They will only be booted if they don?t pay the tickets.

Also, the argument that people park there to attend the meeting is silly. There are other locations for individuals to park.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The passage of this ordinance means only local citizens who live close by can attend public meetings. It is an equivalent of a poll tax. Only people who can afford private parking will be able to attend public meetings.

Just like clockwork, Yvonne puts forward a lie.

There is no prevention of non-local residents attending meetings. The stupid analogy of a poll tax (yes, it is categorically stupid) is her go-to despite the fact that it was proven wrong and stupid here.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The city also plans on extending parking meters in some areas as late as 11 p.m., but that ordinance will go into effect in May. This will be another negative impact for citizens finding parking spaces while attending public meetings.

No, it won?t have a negative effect at all. If you wish to attend the meeting by car, you will put a couple quarters in the meters. If you can?t afford that, then you really can?t afford having a car.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
In addition, the municipal parking lot near City Hall is up for redevelopment. Basically, Jersey City's parking policy discriminates against citizens with limited incomes; there is no welcome mat for the poor.

None of this makes sense.

Basically, it is a paragraph demonstrating a very limited ability to coherently form a thought. The author wants free parking and convenience for selfish reasons and therefore wants to try and equate it with something that might pull on the heartstrings of others. Instead, we get rambling nonsense.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Parking is an issue the mayor does not take seriously. During the town hall meetings, different neighborhoods requested municipal garages to address this issue. The mayor said no. He stated people should use mass transit. Where Mayor Fulop is this mass transit? I have seen bus lines disappear since the 1970s and there has been talk of the No. 10 bus on Kennedy Blvd disappearing, too.

Yvonne Balcer

If you want to talk about mass transit disappearing, then do so. Having it be a throw-away line at the end of a poorly written, incoherent ramble complaining about lack of convenient and free parking for you is pretty silly.

Posted on: 2016/2/25 16:15
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... r.html#incart_river_index

My "letter to the editor"

When Steven Fulop ran for mayor he talked about an open and transparent government yet government will be less open if city ordinance 16.044 is passed. This ordinance extends permit parking from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.

While most of the streets are located in Paulus Hook, City Hall is adjacent to Paulus Hook and some residents park there to attend council, planning board, and board of adjustment meetings. Citizens from different parts of the city will be ticketed, perhaps booted without the proper parking permit.

The passage of this ordinance means only local citizens who live close by can attend public meetings. It is an equivalent of a poll tax. Only people who can afford private parking will be able to attend public meetings.

The city also plans on extending parking meters in some areas as late as 11 p.m., but that ordinance will go into effect in May. This will be another negative impact for citizens finding parking spaces while attending public meetings.

In addition, the municipal parking lot near City Hall is up for redevelopment. Basically, Jersey City's parking policy discriminates against citizens with limited incomes; there is no welcome mat for the poor.

Parking is an issue the mayor does not take seriously. During the town hall meetings, different neighborhoods requested municipal garages to address this issue. The mayor said no. He stated people should use mass transit. Where Mayor Fulop is this mass transit? I have seen bus lines disappear since the 1970s and there has been talk of the No. 10 bus on Kennedy Blvd disappearing, too.

Yvonne Balcer

Posted on: 2016/2/25 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
go to any shopping mall, you will not pay a fee for parking.

Really? Many shopping malls, located in cities, require you pay for parking. Here's one...The Westchester Mall. So you're wrong. Again...

You name one out of how many? Perhaps thousands, that probably kept you very busy. I attended those meetings, it was the residents not Newport who asked for the fee.

Oh, are you so upset that you're wrong again, that you need to make false assumptions that I waste my time in shopping malls? Lol

I'm not arguing against the fact that many, if not most malls do not charge for parking. It's because most of these malls are located in less populated areas.
My point is if a mall is located in a dense area (e.g. DTJC) it's not going to be unusual to see a fee for parking (assuming they even offer parking at all). FWIW, The Galleria, is another urban mall, in a dense area, that charges for parking. So much for your "go to any mall, you will not pay"

Add to the list City Creek in Salt Lake City (a pity more malls don't look like this one - absolutely beautiful). It charges for parking and Salt Lake City has just one-tenth the population density of JC.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Really? Many shopping malls, located in cities, require you pay for parking. Here's one...The Westchester Mall. So you're wrong. Again...

You name one out of how many? Perhaps thousands, that probably kept you very busy. I attended those meetings, it was the residents not Newport who asked for the fee.

Oh, are you so upset that you're wrong again, that you need to make false assumptions that I waste my time in shopping malls? Lol

I'm not arguing against the fact that many, if not most malls do not charge for parking. It's because most of these malls are located in less populated areas.
My point is if a mall is located in a dense area (e.g. DTJC) it's not going to be unusual to see a fee for parking (assuming they even offer parking at all). FWIW, The Galleria, is another urban mall, in a dense area, that charges for parking. So much for your "go to any mall, you will not pay"

Posted on: 2016/2/24 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/24 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/24 19:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Why is no one talking about the other piece of the ordinance change? Which is extending non-permit parking from 2 hours to 3 hours. WHY, Councilwoman? There is a perfectly open garage right at Grove street that restaurants and bars should be encouraging their customers to use. Instead you would rather give them free space?

1) there is nothing today after 3pm given the two hour grace window and the fact that it ends at 5pm. It's completely false to say I'm giving businesses something because in fact I am imposing an enforcement of three hours when there is zero enforcement if one parks after 3pm and leaves by 10am the next day. I'm not comfortable moving from zero rules to 2 hours in the evening. Having different rules in daytime vs evening time would be a complete disaster unless we totally redesigned the signs. Really wouldn't make sense for a pilot.

2) I am 100% listening to community. Hamilton park took a vote and by 3 to 1 supported this. It's only going in the zones where neighbors wanted to try the pilot and not touching the others.

3) So logically one should be against this if you find there is not good parking in the day time because expanding the window could exacerbate the daytime problem. However, if you feel the vast majority of parking issues are in the late afternoon and evening then you should support this.

I'm doing this because I believe it will alleviate the issues at night by getting people in buildings to use their parking but without negatively impacting the existing restaurant business as they have no rules impacting them today.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
OneSkirt, you have a problem listening, if you leave Newport and go to any shopping mall, you will not pay a fee for parking. It was the residents who asked for a fee. I can understand why but Newport went over board, so shoppers do not park in the Mall. Newport received a $40 million UDAG grant, we, the public helped pay for this complex. Newport is acting greedy, make the first two hours free. This way, shoppers will shop in the mall, freeing up parking for residents.

You have a problem communicating clearly. We're talking about dtjc and I'm specially talking about the Grove Point Garage, not Newport.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
OneSkirt, you have a problem listening, if you leave Newport and go to any shopping mall, you will not pay a fee for parking. It was the residents who asked for a fee. I can understand why but Newport went over board, so shoppers do not park in the Mall. Newport received a $40 million UDAG grant, we, the public helped pay for this complex. Newport is acting greedy, make the first two hours free. This way, shoppers will shop in the mall, freeing up parking for residents.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Resident parking should be enforced on weekend. Many mall customers take up Hamilton Park residents spots.

When the garage first open the first two hours was a couple of dollars. It should be free the first 2 hours, then gradually increase. The garage was due to be free in the beginning but Hamilton Park residents asked Newport to charge a fee so people going to NYC would not park there.

Why do you insist everything should be free all the time? No, this is a PRIVATELY OWNED garage. They are entitled to charge for parking. And people coming in to the restaurants and bars should pay it and park there.

If the businesses were better neighbors, they would paritally validate the parking and work out a deal with the garage that would be mutually beneficial. But instead, the Councilwoman wants to give away street parking to them (spaces without meters). This hurts residents in those zones and doesn't bring meter revenue to the city. She is not listening to her constituents on this one at all. There is absolutely no reason to give the bars/restaurants free parking, not when there is a perfectly good garage right there!!

Posted on: 2016/2/24 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Resident parking should be enforced on weekend. Many mall customers take up Hamilton Park residents spots.

When the garage first open the first two hours was a couple of dollars. It should be free the first 2 hours, then gradually increase. The garage was due to be free in the beginning but Hamilton Park residents asked Newport to charge a fee so people going to NYC would not park there.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Why is no one talking about the other piece of the ordinance change? Which is extending non-permit parking from 2 hours to 3 hours. WHY, Councilwoman? There is a perfectly open garage right at Grove street that restaurants and bars should be encouraging their customers to use. Instead you would rather give them free space?

Posted on: 2016/2/24 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Councilwoman, thank you for taking the time to participate in this and other threads. It is much appreciated to get some direct responses, as well as some insight into the thought process.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 15:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:

Baby steps...but point taken. Will add to list of things we should consider piloting.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/24 3:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Pretty toothless ordinance. The police commander for the district has already stated that parking enforcement is a distant priority based on more pressing matters, like serious crimes. They will not enforce parking regulations unless it is something like a car brazenly blocking sidewalks or crosswalks, and then only when someone calls it in and if the available resources allow for them to do it.

If City Hall is serious about parking enforcement, then they need to figure out a way to get it done. Passing additional ordinances will do nothing unless they have enforcement. Hire more parking enforcement personnel or drop the pretenses.

Couple of points:

1- Parking Division was on a hiring freeze until recently until merger with city was complete and everything "shook out" (for lack of a better word). They now have go ahead to hire.

2 - The Parking Division has signed on to this change and will handle enforcement.

3 - You are correct that for the police department this is not the top priority (nor can/should it be with the current east district staffing)

4 - There are a certain percentage of people who actually obey laws. I know it seems like a rarity often times in Jersey City where this is sometimes an unfortunate attitude of "do what you want...", but for some, even the posting of the sign will work.

However when all is said and done, it does need enforcement, 100% The idea here is to close the loophole for those who live in buildings with parking but who drive to work. In today's world as long as they leave JC by 10 am and get back after 3pm they don't have to get a permit and can park in zone parking.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This government bends over backwards for rich developers, 30 year tax abatements, redevelopment loans, and reduced parking so the developer can turn parking spaces into apartments. This attacks the average citizen, it means you must have a healthy bank account to attend public meetings. This is nothing but a poll tax. It is an anti-open government policy.

Just because you put words into a sentence doesn't mean that it actually is coherent.

Abatements have nothing to do with parking.

There is no "reduction in parking" since those tenants in the buildings must pay for a parking spot if they have a car since they cannot purchase a permit to park on the street.

In short, you have tried, yet again, to create a false cause-and-effect. Just another example of misinformation...

It is not open government either. Attending public meetings will depend on the size of your bank account.

What?

Posted on: 2016/2/23 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
This government bends over backwards for rich developers, 30 year tax abatements, redevelopment loans, and reduced parking so the developer can turn parking spaces into apartments. This attacks the average citizen, it means you must have a healthy bank account to attend public meetings. This is nothing but a poll tax. It is an anti-open government policy.

Just because you put words into a sentence doesn't mean that it actually is coherent.

There is no "reduction in parking" since those tenants in the buildings must pay for a parking spot if they have a car since they cannot purchase a permit to park on the street.

In short, you have tried, yet again, to create a false cause-and-effect. Just another example of misinformation...

It is not open government either. Attending public meetings will depend on the size of your bank account.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/23 17:11
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/23 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If the poor cannot access public meetings at City Hall, then this is a poll tax. We don't tax parents who use the public schools and we should not impose an indirect fee to attend a pubic meeting. That fee being a parking lot.

Is the mass transit fare a poll tax? How about taxi ride for those that don't own a car or live near mass transit? Should all of these people be reimbursed, because otherwise it's a poll tax??

Posted on: 2016/2/23 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If the poor cannot access public meetings at City Hall, then this is a poll tax. We don't tax parents who use the public schools and we should not impose an indirect fee to attend a pubic meeting. That fee being a parking lot.

A car is a privilege and comes with costs, mostly gas and insurance. If you are too poor to pay a couple bucks to park you wouldn't be able to pay for gas and insurance. You have no valid point here.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

You are incorrect and your comparison is insulting. The poor can still walk to the meeting and attend without paying a single dollar.

If the city were to start charging money for attendance, then I'll listen to the comparisons of "poll tax." Until then, you're still continuing to spout lies to push a regressive agenda.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 16:22
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/23 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
City Hall should be open to all, not to those who can afford to pay to park. This is another example of the poor planning that is affecting our government. If you lost your job and receiving a limited income, you cannot afford to pay for private parking. This reminds me of poll tax that was imposed on poor blacks to vote. Paying to park to attend city hall in a poll tax.

Parking requires the use the land. Land is not free.

If someone of low income cannot afford to pay a few quarters to the meter they likely don't have the money to pay for car insurance, car maintenance, gasoline, etc. In fact, if they don't have the money to pay meters, they should look into just walking there from the location they are at.

This is nothing like a poll tax. Comparing the two is disgusting.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 16:00
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
City Hall should be open to all, not to those who can afford to pay to park. This is another example of the poor planning that is affecting our government. If you lost your job and receiving a limited income, you cannot afford to pay for private parking. This reminds me of poll tax that was imposed on poor blacks to vote. Paying to park to attend city hall in a poll tax.

Posted on: 2016/2/23 15:47

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017