Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
163 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Yahoo article Hippest Hood in Every State...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Sugar is far, far more unhealthy for you than sodium.

If the next push really is to post sodium levels, this is misguided and stupid. It should be to post sugar levels.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

I hear you. But I can see why they do it. So many people are now on sodium-restricted diets or have been told by their doctors to cut back that most chefs probably figure it's safer to underseason. It's easy enough, I suppose, to reach for the salt and pepper shakers. After NYC required restaurant chains to post calorie counts on menus, I'm hearing the next big push now is to post sodium levels. I do wonder if going after restaurants on sodium is that helpful. The way I understand it, the worst sodium offenders are the processed food companies.

I've read that too. Also, the link between sodium and hypertension is being questioned.

Correct. There's about 10-15% of the population that is sodium sensitive and can develop hypertension from too much sodium, but for the general population, there's really little reason to worry. And Jaded is also correct - a couple pinches of kosher salt on your restaurant meal is an insignificant contributor to your overall sodium intake, and essential to proper seasoning; the real culprit is the massive amounts of sodium in processed and frozen foods.

I just say it's weird because it just doesn't happen nearly as much, if at all, across the river. I might be able to count on one hand the number of dishes I've had in Manhattan and Brooklyn over the past few years that were under seasoned, but here it's pretty much every meal I've had outside of Talde, Thirty Acres, and Taqueria.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Covered all the cuisines so thoroughly, yet, for some reason, 95% of the restaurants in our hip little hood don't know how to properly salt their food. A small complaint, sure, but so weird given the fact that the food is otherwise quite good. I guess it's better to be underseasoned than over, but come on, you're supposed to be the professionals.

I hear you. But I can see why they do it. So many people are now on sodium-restricted diets or have been told by their doctors to cut back that most chefs probably figure it's safer to underseason. It's easy enough, I suppose, to reach for the salt and pepper shakers. After NYC required restaurant chains to post calorie counts on menus, I'm hearing the next big push now is to post sodium levels. I do wonder if going after restaurants on sodium is that helpful. The way I understand it, the worst sodium offenders are the processed food companies.

I've read that too. Also, the link between sodium and hypertension is being questioned.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
minor point of correction, the article is on HIPSTER hoods, not HIP hoods.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Covered all the cuisines so thoroughly, yet, for some reason, 95% of the restaurants in our hip little hood don't know how to properly salt their food. A small complaint, sure, but so weird given the fact that the food is otherwise quite good. I guess it's better to be underseasoned than over, but come on, you're supposed to be the professionals.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/8/4 19:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

As is the same for all 50 states, this article highlights a section of a City in the state, not the actual whole city. So yes, this makes perfect sense.

Quote:

Greenvillechick wrote:
apparantly DownTown is its own city of Jersey City - GAG

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-brook ... y-state-125773642747.html

Posted on: 2015/8/4 18:27

Yahoo article Hippest Hood in Every State...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
apparantly DownTown is its own city of Jersey City - GAG

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-brook ... y-state-125773642747.html

New Jersey
Downtown (Jersey City)

The dining scene has covered all the requisite cuisines (Thai, Japanese, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, etc.) so thoroughly, it?s added laser-focused restaurants dedicated to rice balls and cookies & crepes. You can also get your bike tuned up at Grove Street Bicycles, pick up retro-style dresses that would make Zooey Deschanel giggle at Vivi Girl Shop, and stock up on vegan makeup at Modern Sage. On the real-estate side, the skyline is getting increasingly cluttered with some of the tallest buildings in the state.

Posted on: 2015/8/4 18:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017