Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Orange and Olive Catering on Central Avenue??Am I dreaming???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

And there's a big difference between saying hello to a new business and being a "Central Ave regular" as I put it earlier. Hopefully you're able to decipher that.

No, could you clarify please?

Posted on: 2015/3/1 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Besides, you reserve and pay in advance-and the dinner begins at over $130 . . .

Posted on: 2015/3/1 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
If I were to walk in, wanting to check out a new establishment, only to be told I had to leave I'd probably never return.

Jeez, don't get your panties in a bunch.

Yes, you would be told to leave because when the place is actually "open" it is for a private event. They don't do sit-down restaurant-style dinners. You'd never go back not because you're angry at the business but instead because there is nothing for you to go back for.

And there's a big difference between saying hello to a new business and being a "Central Ave regular" as I put it earlier. Hopefully you're able to decipher that.

We've got a truly legit business run by some very hardworking and dedicated staff who actually WORK and LIVE in the Heights and some of you still find something to complain about.

Posted on: 2015/3/1 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

re: frosted windows. I went for one private event. People off the street kept coming in. It wasn't a big problem for me, because I was only there for a few hours, but when your kitchen is the front of the house, it must get old to stop what you're doing to explain to the Central Ave regulars that they can't come in.

Makes you wonder why they set up shop in a shopping area with such high foot traffic. It doesn't sound very inviting. If I were to walk in, wanting to check out a new establishment, only to be told I had to leave I'd probably never return.

They don't do walk-ins, you reserve ahead for a 10-12 course tasting dinner only.

Posted on: 2015/3/1 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:

re: frosted windows. I went for one private event. People off the street kept coming in. It wasn't a big problem for me, because I was only there for a few hours, but when your kitchen is the front of the house, it must get old to stop what you're doing to explain to the Central Ave regulars that they can't come in.

Makes you wonder why they set up shop in a shopping area with such high foot traffic. It doesn't sound very inviting. If I were to walk in, wanting to check out a new establishment, only to be told I had to leave I'd probably never return.

Posted on: 2015/3/1 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Last year, they had cooking classes and private seatings. Not sure if that's still happening. Their website would tell.

Posted on: 2015/3/1 12:11

Re: Olive and Orange?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

chocolatecake wrote:
I've walked by Olive and Orange Caterers on Central Avenue recently and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I remember when they opened and they were serving dinner party style meals (very expensive), and the place looked beautiful. Now the windows are covered with frosted plastic and it looks kind of junky and uninhabited. Are they closed? Are they just operating as a catering kitchen now? Did they get tired of people looking in the windows?

The plastic strips were put up to keep people from looking in, I guess it could get tiring. They never were a restaurant per se. It was always my understanding that they catered to private parties, promising a culinary experience.

Posted on: 2015/2/28 21:41

Olive and Orange?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/27 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
I've walked by Olive and Orange Caterers on Central Avenue recently and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I remember when they opened and they were serving dinner party style meals (very expensive), and the place looked beautiful. Now the windows are covered with frosted plastic and it looks kind of junky and uninhabited. Are they closed? Are they just operating as a catering kitchen now? Did they get tired of people looking in the windows?

Posted on: 2015/2/28 18:52

Re: Watch chef create magic at Orange and Olive in Jersey City
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
I ate there and it was great. It's definitely someplace I would reserve for special occasions, but they fully deliver on the price. It gives you a reason to go to that part of Central Ave. besides standing in line at the Parking Authority.

Posted on: 2014/1/19 16:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
It is certainly expensive, but you get what you pay for. Experiences like can cost more than double in Manhattan and Brooklyn so I would say the pricing is more than right for JC.

See the following examples in Brooklyn (one of them in Bushwick!)

http://www.blancanyc.com/tastings/index.html

http://www.brooklynfare.com/pages/chefs-table

Posted on: 2014/1/10 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
That's the biggest issue I have had for this place. I love the fact they are in the heights but $125 is steep but then again its understandable. I would definitely do it sometime in the future for a night out. Just wish they had a few affordable options so I could frequent the place. I feel like I can only go here once in a blue.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 19:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to dissuade anybody. I apologize if that came off as negative. It's just that everytime I've seen it promoted, they leave off the price. I'd like to check it out if you also say it's worth it. I too commend them for picking the Heights to do this. Central Ave could be awesome, just like Journal Square, if developed properly.

Quote:

hudson57 wrote:
we tried it. great food, great experience. worth its price but it's not a restaurant anyways. i actually loved the fact it's outside downtown and commend the owners for trying a business venture like this.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Would totally come here if they had a 5 course $55 tasting similar to Contra in the LES. Not saying it's not worth it, but it's an ESPECIALLY hard sell in the heights.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I've had friends go to this and gave great reviews, but their main complaint was price.

They don't mention it in the article, but tickets are $125 + 20% service charge all in. That's a bit steep for a Heights restaurant experience, but judge for yourself.

Chef's Table FAQ

It's a little steep for any part of J.C.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 17:19
Get on your bikes and ride !

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 10:44
Group:
Registered Users
we tried it. great food, great experience. worth its price but it's not a restaurant anyways. i actually loved the fact it's outside downtown and commend the owners for trying a business venture like this.

Posted on: 2014/1/10 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
I've had friends go to this and gave great reviews, but their main complaint was price.

They don't mention it in the article, but tickets are $125 + 20% service charge all in. That's a bit steep for a Heights restaurant experience, but judge for yourself.

Chef's Table FAQ

Posted on: 2014/1/10 16:37

Watch chef create magic at Orange and Olive in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
y Summer Dawn Hortillosa / For The Jersey Journal

If you?ve ever wanted to get a behind-the-scenes glimpse--or taste--of how chef?s work their culinary magic, you can get your chance thanks to one Jersey City catering company.

Orange and Olive, which is based in JC?s Heights neighborhood, has been inviting small groups of 12 to 20 to their chef?s table, where guests can watch and interact with Chef Sam Fertik as he prepares each dish on their 10-course tasting menu.

Fertik, who launched the catering company with his childhood friend Aaron Nemani of East Brunswick in 2011, says they wanted to explore multiple culinary traditions and cuisines.

?We kind of do a little bit of everything. The dishes vary in influence from Southeast Asian to classic French to Italian,? said Fertik.

?It?s fun for me because it gives me a blank canvas. I get to do everything I want and play around with every possible combination. It?s great for a chef.?

Read Morehttp://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... _at_ora.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2014/1/10 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/12/11 22:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
From Fulop's FB page:

Great new restaurant opening at 398 Central Ave in the heights called "Orange and Olive". Great to see new dynamic restaurants opening in areas outside of downtown. They have a communal table concept with a menu changing every 3 weeks. Small business is the backbone of the economy.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, this sounds amazing. Will definitely be on the look out for this.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
We should contact either ward D councilman Michael Yun or the Central Ave. Business Association office for an answer. The councilman ran the UEZ program and was a member of the CBA for many years.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 11:03
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
http://orangeandolivecaterers.com/

COMING SOON!

The Restaurant REINVENTED!

Our Chef?s Table is a unique experience where there are only 12 seats, twice per night, 4 nights a week, right in the kitchen! You?ll indulge in a tasting menu, while watching the preparation from as close as you can get.

Orange And Olive Caterers is all about the local, the organic, the hip, the elegant and about using the best. We source our ingredients from local producers, people who love their products as much as we love to use them. Our team strives to make your toes tingle, your mouth water, and your guests rave. With tantalizing culinary creations, intricate and unique beverages, Orange And Olive Caterers is the choice for any event big or small. We offer a wide range of interesting options from mixology to interactive culinary stations, cooking parties and private tasting menus. We will accomplish a great event for you.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't seen it but I will check it out tomorrow. Glad to see something different come around here.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 0:51

Orange and Olive Catering on Central Avenue??Am I dreaming???
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/27 22:17
Group:
Registered Users
I was just walking up Central Avenue when I came upon a storefront at (I think) 398 Central Ave...used to be a Hallmark store, then it was a cellphone store, and now it has a sign in its window that says "Olive and Orange Catering". I went on their website and they look like a catering company with a small seating capacity. They seem to be organic, locavore, etc. AM I DREAMING????? Does anyone have any information on this? Wow, that would be a great addition the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 15:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017