Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Looking for a guitar instructor/teacher for kids
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Trambone, your fellow musicians include those who have been teaching at Metropolis for years. I don't think this is a zero sum game.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
I've always told my students and their parents that if they cancel less then 24 hours before the lesson I keep the fee. I am willing to reschedule, but it can be hard because of an already packed book.

Also if the student does not have the space to have a lesson then they don't have the space to practice. I get the argument that a school provides a central location. I'm just looking out for my fellow musicians.

Posted on: 2015/2/21 7:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/11/22 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
Of course a music school or retail restablishment would take a "cut" of the advertised lesson fees. They are running a business and have rent, utilities, maintenance, accounting, administration, advertising, insurance, taxes, etc. Metropolis has been around for a while and practically everyone knows their name - they didn't get there by turning all the lesson fees over to hourly labor teachers.

(I run a home music studio as an independent teacher (not guitar though), plus rent a separate location one day a week, in order to have the flexibility to execute on my own educational vision, and that comes with the responsibility of taking care of business logistics myself. It comes down to value: a store/school's services in arranging evening and weekend lessons is not just worth it to me, but it could be for others. I've also taught at places where there were problems with accuracy or timeliness of paychecks, poor communication about scheduling, or excessive cancellations thus wasting time that could have gone to a more committed student or anything else I needed to do besides waiting around. These show a lack of respect for the teacher and aren't worth it either.)

By the way, speaking on behalf of music teachers everywhere, please do your teacher the courtesy (RESPECT) of giving notice and having the closure/transition of a last lesson. Don't be the one that emails or texts after the fact or, worse, that doesn't even show up to the next scheduled lesson, or two, and has to be asked! Better yet, have a discussion in advance about goals and where your teacher sees your progress going. Personally, it will be years before my students outgrow me, and when that time comes, I'd be proactively searching my network for someone to take them on. It's a great deal longer than 6 months, but I can't be that invested in a kid's growth without caring about where they're headed.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 16:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I second the suggestion of Michael Brown of Rockassori

Posted on: 2015/2/20 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Metropolis is making it possible for teachers to earn money by teaching in their space, and Metropolis generates additional business for these teachers by being a local business, a good neighbor and referring new prospects to these teachers.

Because the teachers aren't wasting non-billable time traveling from student to student, they may end up teaching more and making more.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
@trambone - I just pm'ed you.

Quote:

trambone wrote:
Please don't go to Metropolis. Many music schools take around a 33% cut from the teacher who are musicians trying to get by. If you are looking for a teacher who can teach classical guitar you could contact Maria Rosado at NJCU who is the professor of the classical guitar program there for a recommendation.

Posted on: 2015/2/20 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Trambone, your criticism of an established brick and mortar music school is unwarranted. Of course, Metropolis takes a cut for providing space, heat, light and a steady stream of students. Why shouldn't they? The teachers who choose to teach there are not indentured servants and can make their own decisions as to whether this arrangement suits them. Some of them have been associated with Metropolis for years so there is obviously some benefit to them.

Further, not all families have an appropriate space in their homes for music lessons and prefer to go to the school.

Disclosure: Several family members are professional musicians/music teachers. They live in the suburbs and have their own home music studios. They certainly recoup the cost of their lovely custom studio in their rates.

This. Metropolis is making it possible for teachers to earn money by teaching in their space, and Metropolis generates additional business for these teachers by being a local business, a good neighbor and referring new prospects to these teachers. Telling people not to go to Metropolis for lessons because they take a cut is like telling people not to patronize a local farmers' market because they take a cut from the farmers. Would you also tell people to go to the farm, instead?

Posted on: 2015/2/19 21:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Trambone, your criticism of an established brick and mortar music school is unwarranted. Of course, Metropolis takes a cut for providing space, heat, light and a steady stream of students. Why shouldn't they? The teachers who choose to teach there are not indentured servants and can make their own decisions as to whether this arrangement suits them. Some of them have been associated with Metropolis for years so there is obviously some benefit to them.

Further, not all families have an appropriate space in their homes for music lessons and prefer to go to the school.

Disclosure: Several family members are professional musicians/music teachers. They live in the suburbs and have their own home music studios. They certainly recoup the cost of their lovely custom studio in their rates.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dntshootthepianist wrote:
http://www.rockasorri.com/

michael is a good friend.

Oh wow! I went to school with Mike. Its good to see hes doing well.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 5:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Please don't go to Metropolis. Many music schools take around a 33% cut from the teacher who are musicians trying to get by. If you are looking for a teacher who can teach classical guitar you could contact Maria Rosado at NJCU who is the professor of the classical guitar program there for a recommendation.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 5:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/12 0:51
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.rockasorri.com/

michael is a good friend.

Posted on: 2015/2/19 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the recommendation. Will give Metropolis a call.

Are there any other recommendations?

Posted on: 2015/2/18 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Nobuki is awesome, jammed with him back when there was an adult ensemble at Metropolis

Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Nobuki at Metropolis is a terrific teacher.

Posted on: 2015/2/16 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Did you check out Metropolis Music on Newark Ave? Pretty sure they give guitar lessons.

+1. I haven't started yet, but Metropolis is where I will be taking guitar lessons starting very soon. I have stopped in twice to go over my options and they are great about trying to fit each person with the right instructor based on music interests and experience. Pay them a visit.

Posted on: 2015/2/16 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Nobuki at Metropolis is a terrific teacher.

Posted on: 2015/2/16 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Did you check out Metropolis Music on Newark Ave? Pretty sure they give guitar lessons.

Posted on: 2015/2/16 20:06

Looking for a guitar instructor/teacher for kids
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi - can anyone recommend a good guitar instructor/teacher? My kids started learning with someone for about 6 months, and I think they'll outgrow this teacher by the summer (the teacher is more on the piano side), so I'm looking for someone who can teach chords and/or classical.

Thanks much!

Posted on: 2015/2/16 19:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017