Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Upcoming School Board Elections--Who to Vote For?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
So to summarize so far all the candidates want the best education for kids, etc.

But nobody has outlined any realistic plan on how to get there without spending more money, which we all know is not available.

Is there any candidate who has a plan to improve the schools without throwing more money at the system?

Posted on: 2013/10/9 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is something I have wondered, is McNair a good school at all? How would we tell?

Are there comparisons to other equally selective schools, or comparisons that control for the intake bias?

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
McNair is a magnet school taking the students with the highest achievement. It is a great school, but Snyder and Ferris are not going to improve by trying to mimic McNair.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Secondly, the impending threat of school closure should the Priority & Focus schools not met the unrealistic demands placed on these children, staff and parents. Josephine Paige

I believe Snyder and Ferris are among those"Priority and Focus" schools. Lincoln and Dickson might be too.

In all honesty, to take closure of these schools completely off the table is not considering all the options. These schools have done nothing to help the children of JC. A teenager would probably learn more history by slamming his or her head on a history book than attending history class in any of these schools.

We have such a good model of a high school - McNair. Why are the rest of our high schools so behind?

Posted on: 2013/10/7 18:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/10 18:21
From www.lyons4boe.com
Group:
Registered Users
Hello. My name is Gerald Lyons and I am a board member for the Jersey City for of Education. I am on the ballot on November 5th for a three year term. I am the chairperson of the Special Education committee and on the Curriculum and Instruction committee. Due to my involvement with the local and state board member meetings, I have also been asked to be the vice-president of the Hudson County chapter of the New Jersey School Board Association.
I have been teaching in Jersey City since 1987 (in my 27th year in the classroom) and hold six teaching certifications. I have a MA in Education and 100 additional education credits. I won teacher of the year for my district twice and was honored by The Jersey Journal as an ?Everyday Hero for Excellence in Education?. I take my role of advocate for students very seriously.
My job as a board member is to fight for all students in Jersey City by making our schools the best that they can be. I feel my years of experience in the classroom along with my degrees and certifications are beneficial to decisions made by the board. Please feel free to contact me with any questions at geraldlyons@gmail.com I am running with Josephine Paige and Lorenzo Richardson as both have demonstrated a deep commitment to the students of Jersey City for many years.

Posted on: 2013/10/7 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/6 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the direction. I see so many people move out of JC when their kids hit 5 years old and always the same reason--they want to send their kids to good public schools, and NJ has some of the best suburban schools in the nation.

I read the "excellence" team platform, which contains alot of good things, but not realistic given budget levels. Id like to see what actions could be taken to improve the schools at existing budget levels which i believe is entirely achievable, but will require much more struggle. In simpler terms, what can we cut to provide the funding to implement the stated goals?

My understanding is that the JC schools have one of the highest per student spends in the US. Seems like if this is true there must be some core problems that need to be addressed that i didnt see on the list.

Excellence candidates, if you are reading this, tell us how we can achieve some of your goals in a budget neutral way.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Who has Fulop endorsed?

The Candidates for Excellence slate, I think.

Posted on: 2013/10/5 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Who has Fulop endorsed?

Posted on: 2013/10/5 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightGirl wrote:
Some candidates - read and decide for yourself:

http://www.jerseycitycandidatesforexcellence.com/#!about_us/csgz

I'm supporting this slate for many reason, among the top is their actual experience. Ms. Amy has great Human Resources experience, which the school system desperately needs. Ms. Rosero Daye, being visually impaired and having experience in counselling, employment and training would bring a great wealth of experience. Ms. Simon & Ms. Lester have a lot of experience in many facets needed - as parents, advocates and prior school boa experience. They are all reformers.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/11 10:27
Group:
Registered Users
You can find additional information on Josephine Paige, Lorenzo Richardson and Gerald Lyons here

www.paige4boe.com

www.lyons4boe.com

www.richardson4boe.com

Posted on: 2013/10/4 21:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
Some candidates - read and decide for yourself:

http://www.jerseycitycandidatesforexcellence.com/#!about_us/csgz

Posted on: 2013/10/4 15:15

Upcoming School Board Elections--Who to Vote For?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All---I have my mail-in ballot and I have no idea what the school board candidates stand for and what their history is. Anybody want to chime in with some factual information as to which 3 people i should vote for the open and 1 person for the unfulfilled term?

Posted on: 2013/10/4 12:43

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017