Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
56 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: what's with the Morton Williams produce scam?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users

+10 robotjustin

let's hear it for being able to laugh at ourselves!

Posted on: 2010/8/25 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
The (Mostly) Incoherent Property Owner - Get your money back, and it will be a victory for all!

The Seminary Student - Do an undercover investigation!

The Blue Collar Pragmatist - Talk to manager, then contact authorities.

The Newport-ist - Reveals that own investigation further validates that Newport truly is the land of milk and honey

The Communist - Call the state, comrade! It's your duty!

The Anecdotalist - Let's not be so fast to jump to conclusions, unless they are closely aligned with my conclusion based on anecdotal evidence gathered 15 years ago!

The Farmer's Market True Believer - I'm sorry that you got salmonella from your chicken cutlets, but that's what you get for not buying tasty free-range chicken from the itinerant free-range meat tinkers.

The Summarist - Unable to turn his cutting wit and powers of observation against himself, the Summarist leaves it to you, the zany characters of JCLIST...

Posted on: 2010/8/25 13:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/6 11:43
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jimmcallister wrote:
I got ripped off again. Previously it was grapes. This time peaches - two small ones supposedly over two pounds. What are they doing -leaning on the scale? Also, I don't understand the financial incentive. Do the cashiers get paid by commission?

Thanks for the replies. It's one of those situations where it would have been o.k. to protest it immediately but by the time I figured it out (just outside the store) it would have looked strange. And only one register was open so innocent people would have suffered.

I suspect it wasn't a mis-calibration since other items turned up with plausible numbers, possibly some kind of extraneous weight on the scale.

So you really don't know if you were overcharged, other items came up with "plausible numbers". This appears only to happen with fruit. Perhaps the cashier punched in the wrong code and the unit price was wrong, not the weight. In any event, many of these responses seem drastic.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 12:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
This thread really makes me chuckle.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jimmcallister wrote:
Thanks for the replies. It's one of those situations where it would have been o.k. to protest it immediately but by the time I figured it out (just outside the store) it would have looked strange. And only one register was open so innocent people would have suffered.

No it wouldn't have, and please don't factor in those "inocent people", who cares; now you loose and MT wins. what happend to the fight in you, the fight for what's right. Next time go to a manager or the customer service counter then you wouldn't have to worry about other "innocent" people. A similar thing happed to me, I was a passenger in my friend's car looking for a parking spot one was coming up the guy behind him beeped as my friend slowed for the spot when he heard the beep my friend moved on...and lost the spot to the beeper. I wouldn't want you on my jury till you gain some backbone.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 8:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/28 6:08
Group:
Registered Users

I suspect it wasn't a mis-calibration since other items turned up with plausible numbers, possibly some kind of extraneous weight on the scale.

I should resume my policy of just buying salsa and beverages from MW and suffering the PATH for all other non-Target items.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 6:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/10 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Not exactly sure why someone would buy produce (particularly overpriced produce) from Morton Williams when there are Farmers Markets nearly every day of the week here in JC! We usually get 5-6 beautiful farm fresh peaches for around $3-4 (not to mention they are freaking delish).

But to each his or her own! :)

Posted on: 2010/8/24 22:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/22 21:37
From Carolina's Lavanderia
Group:
Registered Users
Well that seems unfair. What if Jim was the one who made the mistake? If there is proof and the manager is unresponsive then that's another thing, but what if they didn't realize it or it was the cashier who messed up the scale by accident? I worked as a cashier in high school, the scales are pretty accurate but if something is leaning against them and the cashier doesn't realize it then the scale will be a little off. And Btw the same thing can happen at the self check out. User error is probably the most common explanation and I bet the manager would correct the problem if he were aware.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Don't bother going to the management. Just report them to the NJ Department of Weights and Measures.

Hudson
595 County Rd., Secaucus, N.J. 07094
(201) 319-3820
(201) 319-3821

Jersey City
30 Montgomery St., Rm 408, 4th Fl., Jersey City, N.J. 07302
(201) 547-5292 or 4232
(201) 547-5585

Posted on: 2010/8/24 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
I suspected overcharging on the food bar ($5.99 a pound) and measured against my electronic postal scale when I got home. They were correct in fact even gave me credit for a larger tare weight than actual.

On produce, I find they often make mistakes in my favor. Helps a little to make up for their gross overpricing.

So no, I cannot say I was ever "overweighed."

Posted on: 2010/8/24 12:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/12 11:58
From First and Grove
Group:
Registered Users
If you feel the scale is not accurate, bring it to the attention of the store manager. They are supposed to be calibrated every year. If you do not get a response from the manager, or if you are not satisfied with the response you get, report it to the State of New Jersey, Division of Consumer Affairs, Department of Weights and Measures. They will send someone to check the scales. This is a serious accusation, and speaks directly to the integrity of the merchant, I trust you have verified the weights of your purchase, and found them to be less then what you paid for.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe the scales aren't calibrated.

This may be true and intentional and important (per Karate Kid Part II) or not true and not intentional and not important (per Jesus Christ Superstar).

In either case (and in both movies) a true hero-san holy-son is ethically-driven or clumsily-gifted toward flipping the script and flipping the scales, thus chasing justice by exposing injustice.

So, this is your moment, Jim-San! You can be a hero-messiah to all of us.

Or, ask them to weigh a pound of butter for you and see if the scale is pared and true.

If it is, climb up on the cross and commit seppuku. The shame will be too great to go on otherwise.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jimmcallister wrote:
I got ripped off again. Previously it was grapes. This time peaches - two small ones supposedly over two pounds. What are they doing -leaning on the scale? Also, I don't understand the financial incentive. Do the cashiers get paid by commission? The grape argument was unpleasant, as was a previous discussion about rotten salad bar food so this I'll just suck up the $1.50-ish loss.

Thank you for the heads up on the cheap produce at MT but what about yourself, why suck it up ?? Go back there ! and demand a refund and if you ever by fresh produce again look at it more closely before you commit to purchasing.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 11:00

what's with the Morton Williams produce scam?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/28 6:08
Group:
Registered Users
I got ripped off again. Previously it was grapes. This time peaches - two small ones supposedly over two pounds. What are they doing -leaning on the scale? Also, I don't understand the financial incentive. Do the cashiers get paid by commission?

The grape argument was unpleasant, as was a previous discussion about rotten salad bar food so this I'll just suck up the $1.50-ish loss.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 4:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017