Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
157 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: One iguana lives, the other perishes in Jersey City fire
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/17 18:39
Group:
Registered Users
This site is so crazy.

How did it go from a reptile to taxes?

I read these blogs and it starts about a lost puppy and then ends with ice on a sidewalk.

I believe it is simple to keep on line with the thread

Oh well

Posted on: 2008/12/27 0:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/14 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I know this guy. He works hard, owns this home, owns his own business, and put his son through college.

Why do you think he doesn't pay taxes? Because he's an immigrant?

Not at all. It's great that he's found his American dream...but, it would seem to me that someone who paid taxes would know that part of those taxes go toward funding public services like the fire department, police department, etc. and wouldn't ask how much he owes the firefighters for putting out the fire.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 22:38

Re: Tie holiday eve blaze to pet hitting heat lamp

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/3 14:40
From The Eminent Domain
Group:
Banned
Illegal iguanas from other countries are taking the jobs of hard working American iguanas. This has got to stop.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Why keep an iguana?

I'm no fan of people who keep exotic pets, because I have read too many horror stories on the black market trade of such reptiles.

So many reptiles die and are exploited simply because some ass wants one as a pet.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 20:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like someone took out the "who is apparently an immigrant" part in the paper. I have no clue why anyone would throw that in.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 19:31

Tie holiday eve blaze to pet hitting heat lamp
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Tie holiday eve blaze to pet hitting heat lamp

Friday, December 26, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

One of two pet iguanas at a residence off Journal Square started an apartment fire by knocking over a heat lamp, Jersey City fire officials said.

No persons were injured in the fire and while firefighters were able to rescue one of the large lizards, the other perished in the flames, officials said.

Firefighters responded to the two-story residence at Garrison and Sip avenues at 3:37 p.m. and found heavy fire in a second-floor bedroom, Fire Director Armando Roman said. The fire was under control by 3:52 p.m., but not before the bedroom suffered heavy damage, he said.

Apparently, one of the iguanas had gotten loose and was running around when it knocked over a heat lamp that ignited blankets on a bed, Roman said.

The homeowner tried to put the fire out with a garden hose, but when he realized it was out of control, he ran to the nearby firehouse and notified firefighters, who sounded the alarm, Roman said.

The distraught woman who owned the iguanas repeated, "They're dead. They're dead," as she paced on the street in her robe as firefighters worked in the building.

She was somewhat relieved when firefighters brought out the surviving reptile.

"Once again, people try in vain to put a fire out themselves and there might have been less damage if he'd called the Fire Department immediately rather than delaying," Roman said. "It's important if you have a fire in your house to call 911 and let the professionals handle the fire."

Roman said the homeowner thanked firefighters and asked how much he owed them for putting out the blaze.

The battalion chief on hand told him, "This is your tax dollars at work," Roman said.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CRV2 wrote:
Why would the JJ include Roman's statement that the homeowner is "apparently a immigrant". Isn't this profiling? Is it supposed to make the homeowner look stupid or careless because he is not American born. It is very possible this homeowner is an American citizen.

Why would Roman make that statement at all?

Apparently an immigrant is not in quotes and was added by the articles author. All of Roman's actual statements are in quotes.

Posted on: 2008/12/25 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
The reason is to explain the owner's question about what he owes the fire department. I assumed from the question that in that man's country he would have to pay the fire department for saving his house.

Posted on: 2008/12/25 17:08

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/3 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
Why would the JJ include Roman's statement that the homeowner is "apparently a immigrant". Isn't this profiling? Is it supposed to make the homeowner look stupid or careless because he is not American born. It is very possible this homeowner is an American citizen.

Why would Roman make that statement at all?

Posted on: 2008/12/25 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

oJcanuC wrote:
Quote:

Roman said the homeowner, who is apparently an immigrant, thanked firefighters and asked how much he owed them for putting out the blaze.

The battalion chief on hand said, "This is your tax dollars at work," Roman said.

Hmm, pretty sure it's not HIS tax dollars at work...more like my tax dollars at work.

I know this guy. He works hard, owns this home, owns his own business, and put his son through college.

Why do you think he doesn't pay taxes? Because he's an immigrant?

Posted on: 2008/12/25 16:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/14 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Roman said the homeowner, who is apparently an immigrant, thanked firefighters and asked how much he owed them for putting out the blaze.

The battalion chief on hand said, "This is your tax dollars at work," Roman said.

Hmm, pretty sure it's not HIS tax dollars at work...more like my tax dollars at work.

Posted on: 2008/12/25 15:20

One iguana lives, the other perishes in Jersey City fire
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
One iguana lives, the other perishes in Jersey City fire

by Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
Wednesday December 24, 2008, 6:11 PM

Resized Image
Jersey City firefighters hold an iguana rescued from a fire in a second story apartment 67 Garrison Avenue today.

One of two pet iguanas at a residence off Journal Square started an apartment fire by knocking over a heat lamp this evening.

While firefighters were able to rescue one of the large lizards, the other was claimed by the flames, officials said.
Firefighters responded to the two-story residence on Garrison and Sip avenues on a 3:37 p.m. alarm and found heavy fire in a second-floor bedroom, Fire Director Armando Roman said.
The fire was under control by 3:52 p.m. but not before the bedroom suffered heavy damage, Roman said.

Apparently one of the iguanas had gotten loose and was running around when it knocked over the heat lamp that ignited blankets on a bed, Roman said.

The homeowner tried to put the fire out with a garden house but when he realized it was out of control he ran to the nearby firehouse and notified firefighters who sounded the alarm, Roman said.

The distraught female resident who owned the iguanas repeated "They're dead. They're dead," as she paced on the street while firefighters worked in the building. She was somewhat relieved when firefighters carried out the surviving reptile.

"Once again people try in vain to put a fire out themselves and there may have been less damage if he'd called the fire department immediate rather than delaying," Roman said. "It's important if you have a fire in your house to all 911 and let the professional's handle the fire."

Posted on: 2008/12/25 14:19

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017