Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Corbin Ave, btw Sip ave and Pavonia Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
That is what is known as the Marion section of J.C. It used to be a largely populated Italian Catholic area. Rita & Joe's is still there not sure if the fresh baked Italian bread bakery is on Wales Ave. anymore. Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Catholic is still very active they hold their feast every July. I think they hold block association meetings there once per month. Try to get to know some of the older neighbors in the area. Mingle.

Posted on: 2008/11/1 0:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/20 3:22
Group:
Registered Users
I actually live on Corbin ave and I frequently take the PATH home and walk to Corbin at night.

It's not the safest place in the Jersey City, but it isn't that bad. I haven't had much trouble walking from the PATH home, but I don't feel incredibly safe either.

If anything, you should always go to the bus terminal and take the society hill bus to Corbin.

Posted on: 2008/10/31 23:41

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/26 19:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sofiebrooklyn wrote:
Yah.. that's me.

ha cool!

Wondering if you ended up purchasing the condo on Harrison ave?

Really hope you didn't, I drove there couple of times during daytime and it wasn't pleasant and I drove there once at night, it feels scary and dangerous. Def. not a place to bring your friends / family over or......even yourself.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 17:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey there.

I ended up not buying it. The maintenance fee is too high.

I was looking at the 2br condo and the maintenance fee is $345. $345 for that crap!? It didn't include anything else besides hot water, water and heat. For $345, elevator and parking space should be included.

For that old condo, maintenance fee is usually between $150-$250 the most. Def. not $345.

When summer comes around, units will be paying $345 just for hot water and water??? That's bull. On top of that, give them few more years they'll probably increase the maintenance fee. By that time, units will pay up to $370 just for hot water and water during summer. If you have your AC on during summer, your monthly bill will be an eyesore.

I talked to them about how high the maintenance is, they offered me one year of free maintenance but that's still bull. For the long run, I rather have them reasonably lower the maintenance fee.

The fee doesn't add up to the value of the condo and that's my conclusion of 57 Corbin ave.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 16:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/4/25 7:39
Group:
Registered Users
Hello there!

I just saw your posting, and I was wondering if you ended up buying the condo at Corbin Ave. I'm looking to buy a place in Jersey City, and there are a few units in 57 Corbin Ave that are available.

Do you like the building/area and do you have any comments or suggestions?

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/4/25 7:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/21 1:20
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yah.. that's me.

Posted on: 2008/3/28 20:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

don't know anything about Jersey City either... and I'm also looking at buying in a neighborhood that's on the edge. This is how I resolved the dilemna.. if you consider this an investment and think that they neighborhood will get better, then you're probably getting this apartment at a premium. In a few years, you'll be one of the smart ones that talks about how dangerous it used to be and how cheap you got this apartment for. Just be an intelligent person. You could be robbed in Kansas if you act like an idiot. I don't think that there are all out gang street wars in the Heights, Jsq or downtown JC. So, that's my two cents.

I'm looking at your avatar and its saying your from Brooklyn....well, 2 weeks ago, I was condo hunting at Harrison ave, near Lincoln park and this girl also said she's from Brooklyn and planning to move to JC. I'm just wondering if that girl is you?

Posted on: 2008/2/28 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
That's about right - here's a link to the neighborhoods of JC:

http://www.jcedc.org/uez5yrplan05/01-24neighborhoods.pdf

Quote:

aldencal wrote:
Sofie ? Although your question seems reasonable, it?s actually a pretty tough one to answer?With all the new ?areas? popping up (i.e Beacon area, formerly known as Medical Center, a part of The Hill or a section in McGinley Square), I can only provide what I deem as the Square (Journal Square).

- Palisades Ave (btw Newark Ave and State Highway Rt139) including the ?islands?
- Tonnele Ave (by State Highway Rt139)
- West Side Ave (btw Broadway and Sip Ave)
- Sip Ave to Summit Ave

I'm sure this will be debated...

Posted on: 2008/2/21 14:09

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Is this the place?
http://www.trulia.com/property/104934 ... -Ave-Jersey-City-NJ-07306

Yup, that's exactly the place.

Thanks all for the comments regarding Corbin ave.

On the side note, this site really rocks! I think I'll be here more frequently from now on esp. I'll be living in JC and keep myself updated with what's going on.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 13:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/16 14:54
From McGinley Square / JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
My husband and I recently bought a condo on Highland Ave near Westside, so closer to the McGinley Square area, but we've taken a walk over to Corbin. On the weekends it's quiet on Corbin, which is how most of the neighborhood is. On a weeknight you're going to have plenty of foot traffic on Sip Ave. and JFK so I wouldn't worry about coming home between 8-9pm (I do it myself as a white female in my 20s and I feel safe). There are also buses that run up and down Sip as well. I don't know about your street in particular at night but my street is very residential; quiet except for kids playing football in the street. If diversity scares you, you don't have street smarts, are unwilling to try ethnic food, and need a Starbucks then this is not the neighborhood for you. We've got our share of grit and grime, but it's a safe neighborhood with people that say hi to you on the street. When we moved into our condo our neighbors got us gift baskets, hey that never happened to us when we lived in Hoboken!

Posted on: 2008/2/20 23:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/2 18:16
From West Bergen
Group:
Registered Users
Sofie ? Although your question seems reasonable, it?s actually a pretty tough one to answer?With all the new ?areas? popping up (i.e Beacon area, formerly known as Medical Center, a part of The Hill or a section in McGinley Square), I can only provide what I deem as the Square (Journal Square).

- Palisades Ave (btw Newark Ave and State Highway Rt139) including the ?islands?
- Tonnele Ave (by State Highway Rt139)
- West Side Ave (btw Broadway and Sip Ave)
- Sip Ave to Summit Ave

I'm sure this will be debated...

Posted on: 2008/2/20 21:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Can someone please tell me the exact boundaries of the Journal Square Area???Quote:

aldencal wrote:
Welcome to the board Garfield!

Historically (late 80?s to early 90?s) that section of Journal Square was pretty rough.

Although since then it?s progressively been getting much better. The area is very culturally and socially diverse. With all the new young professionals moving into the area as well as the new residential development around the Square the anticipation is that it will be the next ?boom? for Jersey City.

That being said, I would say a fair comparison for walking from the Square to Corbin is similar to walking from Grove to 5th and Jersey Ave. It?s obviously not as safe as walking inside a gated community, but it is relatively safe for a metropolitan area.

Regarding your car, that area is generally safe and if my memory serves me correctly Corbin is a really wide street, therefore you shouldn?t have to worry about your car being side swiped. Just don?t leave your navigation in the car (that?ll get stolen anywhere you park).

I normally end most of my ?Jersey City insight? posts with this caveat?I?m born, raised, educated and still live in Jersey City. I?ve seen this place go through transition. It?s so much better now than it was when I was growing up.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Posted on: 2008/2/20 21:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/2 18:16
From West Bergen
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to the board Garfield!

Historically (late 80?s to early 90?s) that section of Journal Square was pretty rough.

Although since then it?s progressively been getting much better. The area is very culturally and socially diverse. With all the new young professionals moving into the area as well as the new residential development around the Square the anticipation is that it will be the next ?boom? for Jersey City.

That being said, I would say a fair comparison for walking from the Square to Corbin is similar to walking from Grove to 5th and Jersey Ave. It?s obviously not as safe as walking inside a gated community, but it is relatively safe for a metropolitan area.

Regarding your car, that area is generally safe and if my memory serves me correctly Corbin is a really wide street, therefore you shouldn?t have to worry about your car being side swiped. Just don?t leave your navigation in the car (that?ll get stolen anywhere you park).

I normally end most of my ?Jersey City insight? posts with this caveat?I?m born, raised, educated and still live in Jersey City. I?ve seen this place go through transition. It?s so much better now than it was when I was growing up.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Posted on: 2008/2/20 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sofiebrooklyn wrote:
I don't know anything about Jersey City either... and I'm also looking at buying in a neighborhood that's on the edge. This is how I resolved the dilemna.. if you consider this an investment and think that they neighborhood will get better, then you're probably getting this apartment at a premium. In a few years, you'll be one of the smart ones that talks about how dangerous it used to be and how cheap you got this apartment for. Just be an intelligent person. You could be robbed in Kansas if you act like an idiot. I don't think that there are all out gang street wars in the Heights, Jsq or downtown JC. So, that's my two cents.

If you want to buy in a neighborhood that's "on the edge" of taking off buy in the Journal Square area.

Greenville is not recommended and the Heights is iffy. While there is gang activity everywhere there seems to be more in these areas probably because these are the hoods where most of the gang members reside.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 21:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
Forgot something.. people like you moving into the neighborhood make it a safer place. Move in and encourage your friends to do the same. Don't let crime win over what you want, a fab place! Quote:

sofiebrooklyn wrote:
I don't know anything about Jersey City either... and I'm also looking at buying in a neighborhood that's on the edge. This is how I resolved the dilemna.. if you consider this an investment and think that they neighborhood will get better, then you're probably getting this apartment at a premium. In a few years, you'll be one of the smart ones that talks about how dangerous it used to be and how cheap you got this apartment for. Just be an intelligent person. You could be robbed in Kansas if you act like an idiot. I don't think that there are all out gang street wars in the Heights, Jsq or downtown JC. So, that's my two cents.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 20:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/2/20 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Garfield0926 wrote:
Hi People,

First time here and have a question to ask. I just made an offer on a condo in Corbin ave and I'm wondering how's the safety around there? I'll be working in NYC and at times I might come back late, around 8-9. Is it safe to walk even tho it's only 6 blocks to the path? Also, is it safe to park my car on Corbin ave? Any feedbacks will be appreciated.

Hope it's not too late to back out the offer ifIi'm getting negative feedbacks.

Thanks guys/gals

Garfield, I'm sorry to say that this area is not the best , nor one of the safer neighborhoods in JC, Yes, citywide there will allways be issues with safety, but before you sign on the dotted line, you may want to relook at yr options.

Good Luck

CK

Posted on: 2008/2/20 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Is this the place?
http://www.trulia.com/property/104934 ... -Ave-Jersey-City-NJ-07306

I have walked around there around lunchtime. It is quiet. There is a Rite-Aid at Westside Ave and Sip Ave that I have walked to from Journal Square. Sip Ave has a lot of traffic so it is safe, at least in the daytime.

There is a library on Westside Ave. And there is public swimming pool at Westside Ave and Pavonia.

However, there are some apartment buildings on Pavonia Ave with a little police hut there. But then, there is a police hut at Newport Pavonia, too.

I think if you walk home on Sip Ave, you will be okay.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Garfield, Hold out for more responses before you despair. The previous poster sounds like the Eeyore of any other neighborhood than downtown, if you check the history. I don't know about your street, but I have really enjoyed my time in the Heights, and now live in Bergen-Lafayette (which I would not strongly recommend).

Posted on: 2008/2/20 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
I hate to sound like a broken record but unless you live downtown which even has its problems your gonna be lving in a sketchy neighborhood, I cant speak for that particular street but I know the area around there was pretty sketchy. The last time I was in that vacinity was maybe 2 years ago so I dont know if some drastic change took place which I highy doubt. I mean hey if you've lived in rough neighborhoods before I guess youll be ok but honestly id look for someplace better. If I were you id get a feel for the area first and then make a decision. I dont want to discourage you if you really have your heart set on the place, but in all honesty it isnt the best area at all to be walking around at night esspecially if its on a daily basis.

Posted on: 2008/2/20 19:16

Corbin Ave, btw Sip ave and Pavonia Ave
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi People,

First time here and have a question to ask. I just made an offer on a condo in Corbin ave and I'm wondering how's the safety around there? I'll be working in NYC and at times I might come back late, around 8-9. Is it safe to walk even tho it's only 6 blocks to the path? Also, is it safe to park my car on Corbin ave? Any feedbacks will be appreciated.

Hope it's not too late to back out the offer ifIi'm getting negative feedbacks.

Thanks guys/gals

Posted on: 2008/2/20 14:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017