Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City school district in hot seat over security checks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

john1952 wrote:
I can't believe I am saying this but we will be soon starting to look back on the good old Healy days (hic) when corruption was in brown paper bags and not so sophisticated.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Wow! What other checks didn't they do before approving this? Did they check whether they were legal firearm holders? Prior convictions? Did they rely on craigslist, or the old boy network? How did they ensure that there weren't gun-toting pedophiles walking through the schools?

Why can't you believe you wrote that? You've been writing that exact sentiment since your first post on this message board...

Posted on: 2013/9/27 16:26
Dos A Cero

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
I can't believe I am saying this but we will be soon starting to look back on the good old Healy days (hic) when corruption was in brown paper bags and not so sophisticated.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Wow! What other checks didn't they do before approving this? Did they check whether they were legal firearm holders? Prior convictions? Did they rely on craigslist, or the old boy network? How did they ensure that there weren't gun-toting pedophiles walking through the schools?

Posted on: 2013/9/27 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/27 5:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Security firm hired by Jersey City schools owes at least $2.2M in unpaid taxes

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

The Union, N.J. security firm hired by the Jersey City public-school district to check for security gaps at districts schools is on New York?s list of top 250 delinquent taxpayers, and it owes more than $200,000 in unpaid taxes to New Jersey, too.

Strike Force, founded in 1986 by Frederick Goldring, owes about $2 million to New York state, a Department of Taxation and Finance spokesman said.

Meanwhile, New Jersey Treasury spokesman Bill Quinn said the state has $237,994 in judgments against Goldring and/or Strike Force for unpaid sales taxes in 2010 and 2011. Quinn said he couldn?t tell The Jersey Journal about any tax liens other than those that have resulted in court judgments.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/9/26 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

It wasn't all that time ago when the No.1 inept Top Cop from JCPD made this statement; The last sentence is a beauty !

Regardless of his competence, it's reasonable to ask if superduperintendent Dr. Lyles followed through on this. Would it had obviated the need for the "Strike Force" to do these visits? Or did they in fact consult and recommend that the board hire a security firm to case each school?

Posted on: 2013/9/26 19:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/15 4:14
Group:
Registered Users
JPHurst--You have the most annoying picture I have ever seen. So distractiing I had to click off your post. Grow up please and delete that. Or, go to the 12 year old posts.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
WORTH A READ
Page 35 onwards - ANNUAL REVIEW WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY ... Could it be the previous BOE officials have been neglecting this ?

http://www.state.nj.us/education/educators/school_safety_man.pdf

It wasn't all that time ago when the No.1 inept Top Cop from JCPD made this statement; The last sentence is a beauty !

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_police_will_conduc.html

Posted on: 2013/9/26 14:37

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2013/9/26 14:57:36
Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2013/9/26 14:58:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Man, that was quick. Strike Force was around for a shorter time then when Demolition beat down their sorry asses at Wrestlemania IV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-lslJuNqXg

(My favorite part of this is the commentary between Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura after the match at 10:20. It becomes all the more hilarious when you realize that Ventura became Governor of Minnesota just 14 years later).

"That's what I said! It looked to be illegal!"

Posted on: 2013/9/26 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

john1952 wrote:
Why in god name do you need to be armed to do a security check! I can't see why the JCPD can't do it instead of giving a no bid contract out, but corruption aside this scares me, armed private contractors.

I concur;

Why isn't this being done by the Public Safety Director instead of some private company - Ridiculous waste of money that the community policing arm of the JCPD should be performing free of charge. ... another example of money to burn

There is no such thing as ?free.? Everything has a price. It is entirely possible that the JCPD did not have the manpower nor the resources to spend on this project. Maybe they looked at the cost of those resources and manpower and said that the private contractor would be cheaper since it?s just a once off assessment.

I don?t have any answers to the questions above. I also think this is a drastic overreaction to that which happened in Connecticut.

Quote:

john1952 wrote:
Armed private security contractors? Is this Iraq or Afghanistan?

Isn?t hiring a private firm to handle these projects the conservative way? I would have thought this would be right up your alley.

Quote:

teachparentlove wrote:
It is hard for me to not view this as another example of Marcia Lyles implementing the Broad Academy philosophy of "privatization at any cost". Why let the competent law enforcement our taxes are already paying for do a job when you can hire a private corporation. This is also an excellent example of the lack of accountability privatization creates in the public sector. Instead of having to answer for their decision to keep their people armed in a school while doing an assessment they take our money and walk away to their other "contracts". This really worries me. I feel it has made our students less safe. How do we have strangers with guns walking around our schools? If they were there for assessment why couldn't they leave their guns locked up in a safe somewhere? The JCPD that I have witnessed in action in schools have been well suited to their assignment, and have been great with the kids.

I don?t know where this ?privatization at any cost? meme comes from and I?d like some big examples. I know of some private pushes but I don?t see a trend.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 13:40
Dos A Cero

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/2 14:03
Group:
Registered Users
It is hard for me to not view this as another example of Marcia Lyles implementing the Broad Academy philosophy of "privatization at any cost". Why let the competent law enforcement our taxes are already paying for do a job when you can hire a private corporation. This is also an excellent example of the lack of accountability privatization creates in the public sector. Instead of having to answer for their decision to keep their people armed in a school while doing an assessment they take our money and walk away to their other "contracts". This really worries me. I feel it has made our students less safe. How do we have strangers with guns walking around our schools? If they were there for assessment why couldn't they leave their guns locked up in a safe somewhere? The JCPD that I have witnessed in action in schools have been well suited to their assignment, and have been great with the kids.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 11:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/3 1:43
Group:
Banned
Are you listening Jersey City? The schools, in many areas, need massive improvement. You will never have middle class families choosing to live here for the long haul unless you improve the school system. When you do so, it will massively beneit all tax paying property owners, as their property values will dramatically increase. In the meantime, those of us with children that are not seriously wealthy (ie can afford private school) will continue to move away because of the schools.

These are a few of the things you need to do:

1. acquire green space for each and every school. it is a serious embarrassment and something we should really be ashamed about that we do not have this. Shame on you, Jersey City!!!! START ACQUIRING PROPERTY!!! I don't care if it costs millions. If NYC can devote green space to their children, its pretty embarrassing and shameful that we can't. I hold the board of ed, the mayor and the entire government structure responsible for this truly sad state of affairs. Mayor Fulop, please cut through the red tape and start making this right! Did you have green space when you were an elementary student?

2. Encourage gifted programs. Money should not just be spent on those lagging behind, but those also leading the forefront.

3. Hire qualified teachers. This is going to be incredibly unpopular, but I have been horrified by the quality of some teachers I have seen in Jersey City. No doubt that many of them are very kind hearted and good people, but some can barely put together a grammatically correct sentence. Certain teachers have posted on community boards and it is pretty embarrassing. I have decided, on their posts alone, that public school in jersey city just isn't an option. What has happened to the quality of teachers here? If you can't put together a sentence, please don't try to teach children. Ugh.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 3:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I have a kid in a JC school and security is a joke!!! The 'guard' at the front door not only doesn't challenge me when I go to pick up my kid but he points me down the hall towards the after school rooms! JC could have given me 20,000 and I could shore up the security issues in about an hour.

Posted on: 2013/9/26 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What a load of rubbish, these private firms research and get their info from government departments and only the information available to the public - The experts are still our frontline government law enforcement agencies that can make a well-informed evaluation for any school and they are available FREE of charge ... its their duty to provide school safety and make recommendations. When siht hits the fan, its the government run law enforcement / emergency services that come to the rescue.

$26 Grand could have gone to updating any infrustructure needs for the school after the police made any recommendations.

Whoever approved this waste of money from the District needs a BIG kick in the ass and a BLACK MARK noted in their personnel file

Posted on: 2013/9/25 23:56
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

terrencemcd wrote:
Security firm at center of Jersey City schools dust up resigns, it says

The Union, N.J. security firm at the center of a controversy over its contract with Jersey City public schools is no longer working with the district.

Jay Branker, a vice president with Strike Force Protective Service, told The Jersey Journal late this afternoon that his company has decided to concentrate on its other assignments.

?We have other pending contracts currently going on where we felt we were more welcomed,? Branker said.

READ MORE

CBS News Video 09/28/13

Posted on: 2013/9/25 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Security firm at center of Jersey City schools dust up resigns, it says

The Union, N.J. security firm at the center of a controversy over its contract with Jersey City public schools is no longer working with the district.

Jay Branker, a vice president with Strike Force Protective Service, told The Jersey Journal late this afternoon that his company has decided to concentrate on its other assignments.

?We have other pending contracts currently going on where we felt we were more welcomed,? Branker said.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/9/25 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Is the schools admin or BOE making a pitch for more funds for security, or simply covering it's ass against future liabilities? Either way I agree with other posters, the $26k spent doesn't buy them anything they couldn't have gotten for free.

They may want to focus on education. And ask themselves, for example, how they can help prevent kids under their care from killing homeless people in Hoboken.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 5:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Armed private security contractors? Is this Iraq or Afghanistan?

Posted on: 2013/9/24 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
They should give guns to teachers because, you know, teachers never get stressed or angry.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

john1952 wrote:
Why in god name do you need to be armed to do a security check! I can't see why the JCPD can't do it instead of giving a no bid contract out, but corruption aside this scares me, armed private contractors.

I concur;

Why isn't this being done by the Public Safety Director instead of some private company - Ridiculous waste of money that the community policing arm of the JCPD should be performing free of charge. ... another example of money to burn

Posted on: 2013/9/24 2:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/9/24 1:14

Jersey City school district in hot seat over security checks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City school district in hot seat over security checks

Critics are targeting the Jersey City school district over its decision to have armed guards assessing security at various school facilities during daytime hours without notifying parents first.

District officials say the assessments were a direct response to last December?s school massacre in Newtown, Conn. The district hired Union, N.J. security firm Strike Force Protective Services at a cost of $26,000 to identify security risks and weaknesses at various schools.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/9/23 20:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017